Kegcowboy.com

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry to break it to you man, but all companies ship the cornies pressurized. Standard practice so that you know they hold pressure when you get em. It is not a hazard, they have a release valve that opens if the pressure got too high anyway.

I didn't know this was standard practice, thanks for clearing that up. I don't know why you're sorry to break it to me though :confused:

Regardless of whether it's standard, I still think it's a hazard. I'm no stranger to moving compressed gases or lab safety practices in general, but I like to know what I'm dealing with. If I get a small, low-pressure gas cylinder shipped to me at work there are big shipping labels warning me (and the shipping company) that there's compressed gas inside. My air compressor has a safety release valve, but I'd rather not move it when full if I have a choice. You know what I mean? And I'd rather not bet my life on a tiny spring. An exploding keg recently killed a worked at Redhook, I'm going to be as careful as I can.

In the summer, in the sun, closed cars can get pretty damn hot as evidenced in the stickied thread about the CO2 cylinder venting in that one dude's car. This can clearly be a dangerous situation, imagine if you got in the hot car and started driving, then when you hit a bump the overpressurized keg vented, startled you, and caused a serious accident. No thanks.

I wish they would at least have put a sticker or something warning me that the system was pressurized, but now that I know it's standard practice I'll be sure to vent any other kegs I get as soon as I receive them :mug:

Seems that is the only item they can get in a timely fashion. I had to cancel my order after 12 business days. Finally got a hold of Jeff and he said they were waiting on swivel connectors for the ball locks & that they had only gotten a partial shipment from UPS that day or something. Still waiting on him to issue a refund even though the order was cancelled immediately. Maybe a paypal dispute will remind him since emailing isn't working.

Maybe they can't afford to keep anything else in stock because they have a warehouse full of plate chillers.

Don't bother with Keg Cowboy, placed an order on 6/3/12, no order updates and plain refusal to respond to any of my contact emails or phone calls, terrible vendor in my personal experience. Had to initiate a claim with my CC to attempt to get a refund....

Sad to say that I am also unhappy with the level of service provided by kegcowboy.com. They shipped an order that had been canceled 18 days before it shipped and never refunded the money.

+1 on all the bad experiences with kegcowboy.

I bought a kit about 6 months ago. They were giving out coupons right and left and then it turns out their ball lock kegs were back ordered.

Then I got a broken regulator. Very difficult to contact; no response to email, website contact, etc. It took forever to find the right phone number.

They eventually took care of me but the process stunk and the whole time I had my wife telling me I had been scammed.

Took them a month to ship a small order (just pressure hose and a 2 way manifold). Hard to get them to answer any form of communciation just to get a $&%^$# status.

Tried to haggle and change the order a month later. They magically had the parts when i demanded a refund.

Shipment is finally on its way but i'm taking bets on whether or not the order is wrong, or its poor quality.

Glad it was a test order.

NOT RECOMMENDED!

Still waiting on my refund since cancelling my order 2 weeks ago. Opened a paypal dispute and have been emailing Jeff every other day with no response. Half expecting my original order to show up on my doorstep one day and being totally wrong.

Took them a month to ship a small order (just pressure hose and a 2 way manifold). Hard to get them to answer any form of communciation just to get a $&%^$# status.

Tried to haggle and change the order a month later. They magically had the parts when i demanded a refund.

Shipment is finally on its way but i'm taking bets on whether or not the order is wrong, or its poor quality.

Glad it was a test order.

NOT RECOMMENDED!

Update: Recieved this order today. They sent a 3-way manifold with two check valves and a plug in the middle. The hose was all there.

The upgrade on the manifold makes me feel a little better about the whole thing. Sorry to say that it won't make me feel comfortable about using this service in the future though.

Though I can't say anything for Keg Cowboys shipping and internet customer service, I did want to comment on the opening of their new store in Lexington SC.

I visited days after they opened (June 20th) to snoop around and was impressed. Matt greeted me and was very eager and willing to help. Jeff was also in the back. Matt took the time to talk about brewing and equipment when questions were asked. He is quite the brewer, involved in the brew community and even has a 30 something acre hop farm locally.

They have a huge cooler filled with stacks and stacks of bulk grain and something like 30 yeast strains to choose from. Tons of all the shiny brew equipment also. They even are starting brewing classes for the community.

I do have one other LHBS in the Columbia area but Kegcowboy has a better selection and a Huge cost savings over the other. Like $10 saving on a 5 gallon grain bill.

It is hard to understand the comments over the last few months about bad service after visiting, but then again, I am a walk in customer. Maybe they were busy opening the new brick and mortar shop. Hopefully they read these comments make a 180 to better serve ya'll.

Between Keg Cowboy and Austin Homebrewing, I'm taken care of.

Just my $0.02

I've said it before and I still believe the same - kegcowboy is going down the same path I was when my business was failing three years ago. Let's see where they are six months from now.

Though I can't say anything for Keg Cowboys shipping and internet customer service, I did want to comment on the opening of their new store in Lexington SC.

I visited days after they opened (June 20th) to snoop around and was impressed. Matt greeted me and was very eager and willing to help. Jeff was also in the back. Matt took the time to talk about brewing and equipment when questions were asked. He is quite the brewer, involved in the brew community and even has a 30 something acre hop farm locally.

They have a huge cooler filled with stacks and stacks of bulk grain and something like 30 yeast strains to choose from. Tons of all the shiny brew equipment also. They even are starting brewing classes for the community.

I do have one other LHBS in the Columbia area but Kegcowboy has a better selection and a Huge cost savings over the other. Like $10 saving on a 5 gallon grain bill.

It is hard to understand the comments over the last few months about bad service after visiting, but then again, I am a walk in customer. Maybe they were busy opening the new brick and mortar shop. Hopefully they read these comments make a 180 to better serve ya'll.

Between Keg Cowboy and Austin Homebrewing, I'm taken care of.

Just my $0.02

This almost makes it worse. They're going out of their way to lure in new customers and they're opening a shiny fancy store, but meanwhile they still have a backlog of paid customers that haven't received their orders. It's like when he was replying to coupon requests within 5 minutes but never answered any of our e-mails asking for order updates. Screw these guys.

Nothing against you garbageman, but it pisses me off that they're taking the time to be nice to you when they're still actively ignoring tons of people that paid $500-1000 for keg kits.

I have to agree that having a vendor with such poor reviews linked to HBT gives us a bit of a black-eye. Why recommend or even link to a vendor that continually has issues with communication and order fulfillment?

I think part of the problem is this company reviews topic area is hidden under the home brewing community category. It should in the vendor showcase category so people requesting coupons from kegcowboy see it and can get feedback from other users before ordering.

Nothing against you garbageman, but it pisses me off that they're taking the time to be nice to you when they're still actively ignoring tons of people that paid $500-1000 for keg kits.

None taken. I took the time to read through a few pages last night of this thread. Wow! I feel bad for the HBT community and for the poor customer service. I too manage a local business in Lexington and stress customer service as the #1 commitment to our customers. I hope that Jeff and his crew can reverse the slide and help you guys. Though that is going to be a tall hill to climb.

How do you find this sub-forum on the regular web site? On my iPhone it is under the home brewing community category. On the regular web I can't find it anywhere. Curious?

How do you did this sub-forum on the regular web site? On my iPhone it is under the home brewing community category. On the regular web I can find it anywhere. Curious?

What?!? You make no sense. First, you have two typos that make your post illegible. Second, its exactly where it always is - Company Reviews under the Homebrewing Community forum. Third, what the hell are you "curious" about? That you lack the basic skills to use the internet?

Its unfortunate that so many non-customers are jumping into this thread to pile onto this company. Its not right - let the customers have their say, they don't need non-customers jumping into this.

Pappers_ said:
What?!? You make no sense. First, you have two typos that make your post illegible. Second, its exactly where it always is - Company Reviews under the Homebrewing Community forum. Third, what the hell are you "curious" about? That you lack the basic skills to use the internet?

Go back and read it now. I changed one word and think it is understandable. I am sorry you couldn't figure it out.

Also, I don't see this forum under home brewing community in the screen shot below.

image-3966040859.jpg

Pappers_ said:
Its unfortunate that so many non-customers are jumping into this thread to pile onto this company. Its not right - let the customers have their say, they don't need non-customers jumping into this.

I am a customer.

Pappers_ said:

I'm sure much of that was auto corrected

Go back and read it now. I changed one word and think it is understandable. I am sorry you couldn't figure it out.

Also, I don't see this forum under home brewing community in the screen shot below.

View attachment 67230

You fixed one of your typos, not both. Can you find it on the regular website or can't you?

Of course I could figure out what you meant. You have some half-baked conspiracy theory, but can't be bothered to type a legible post.

Maybe there was a glitch and you couldn't find the thread. But its there now, was there ten minutes ago. Frankly, from this brief exchange, I'm more likely to believe that its your error. To insinuate with your "Curious?" that there's something untoward going on is ridiculous.

What part of the word curious is an insinuation against the people who run this site? I find it curious that I could not find it. I provided a screen shot. I still don't see it. That is curious to me.

Please relax.

PS. Sorry about the typos. I now know that bothers you. I will put my best foot forward in the future.

I think part of the problem is this company reviews topic area is hidden under the home brewing community category. It should in the vendor showcase category so people requesting coupons from kegcowboy see it and can get feedback from other users before ordering.

I agree with this. There was another discussion about this exact point when another vendor (not me) was questioned about their service.

After a long discussion with Jeff, I will be getting my parts. Too much to explain, Keg Cowboy dropped the ball and took full responsibility for their actions. He offered to refund my money, or get the part in question that was missing from a competitor and have it shipped to me. I opted for the latter. He also threw in a bonus item which was greatly appreciated. So the moral of the story is **** happens! But communication is key. A short phone call or email could do wonders for a business. I believe some housecleaning is in order for KegCowboy.

Steelers77 said:
I agree with this. There was another discussion about this exact point when another vendor (not me) was questioned about their service.

I am glad a vendor agrees with this point. I made this suggestion to HBT through the report problems thread (I didn't know where else to put the suggestion). I haven't heard back yet.

PS. I have had good experiences with Farmhouse on 2 orders!

But communication is key. A short phone call or email could do wonders for a business. I believe some housecleaning is in order for KegCowboy.

I think this is everyone's chief complaint. It's OK if my stuff is backordered, it's not OK when you say "all orders ship in 1-4 days" on the website when 90% of your inventory isn't in stock.

I know I wrote a full review a few pages back, but yesterday I had a chance to really break down one of the 3 kegs I got from these guys and clean it out. They claim they clean all the kegs:

The kegs have been cleaned and soaked in a hot cleaning solution, re-rinsed, lubed and re-pressurized to check the seals.

But all 3 of mine smelled very strongly of soda. I took one of them completely apart. The two post o-rings were both dry and cracked, the two dip tube o-rings disintegrated when I pulled the dip tubes out, and the lid o-ring reeked like soda. A 1-hr soak with hot PBW (plus all the o-rings replaced) and the keg smells fine. It's pretty obvious they didn't soak anything in a hot cleaning solution, and a lubed o-ring wouldn't be dry and cracked.

So now I have to say their product is crappy in addition to their service. Great.

zachattack said:
I think this is everyone's chief complaint. It's OK if my stuff is backordered, it's not OK when you say "all orders ship in 1-4 days" on the website when 90% of your inventory isn't in stock.

I know I wrote a full review a few pages back, but yesterday I had a chance to really break down one of the 3 kegs I got from these guys and clean it out. They claim they clean all the kegs:

The kegs have been cleaned and soaked in a hot cleaning solution, re-rinsed, lubed and re-pressurized to check the seals.

But all 3 of mine smelled very strongly of soda. I took one of them completely apart. The two post o-rings were both dry and cracked, the two dip tube o-rings disintegrated when I pulled the dip tubes out, and the lid o-ring reeked like soda. A 1-hr soak with hot PBW (plus all the o-rings replaced) and the keg smells fine. It's pretty obvious they didn't soak anything in a hot cleaning solution, and a lubed o-ring wouldn't be dry and cracked.

So now I have to say their product is crappy in addition to their service. Great.

My 2 kegcowboy kegs also did not appear to have been cleaned. They smelled strongly of Pepsi and there was what appeared to be syrup in them.

The website also claims their keg kits come with "Our own High 69 CO2 Regulator". My kit came with a taprite regulator. I asked the owner about this and he said they were out of the high 69 and the taprite is a better regulator. That was fine but I noticed from scanning other HBT threads that they had been out of the high 69 regulators for months. Why not change the website to match the product you are shipping?

In the end my order was slow to arrive, I hated the communication process (or lack thereof), the packaging sucked and cracked my first regulator's gauge housing, I didn't receive what the website said I was ordering, and the legs were not cleaned.

I cleaned the kegs, keg cowboy replaced the damaged regulator, and I replaced all the o-rings. Everything is now working great.

Bottom line: I will never do business with this company again.

Thank you. The website will be down tomorrow afternoon for upgrades. The upgrade is an attempt to provide better communication on shipping as well as more shipping options for international customers. Try and get your orders in before 3 EST. Enhanced site is scheduled to go live on Thursday. Orders placed before upgrade will experience the same enhancements.

Thank you. The website will be down tomorrow afternoon for upgrades. The upgrade is an attempt to provide better communication on shipping as well as more shipping options for international customers. Try and get your orders in before 3 EST. Enhanced site is scheduled to go live on Thursday. Orders placed before upgrade will experience the same enhancements.

I agree with BoomerHarley.

We've all outlined your problem for you, and it's that you're dishonest with customers and you just plain don't care. A new website isn't what you need. There are plenty of ways to communicate now (HBT, e-mail, phone), you've just done an awful job of responding to all of these methods. You need to take responsibility for your poor communication instead of blaming a new store, a crappy website, or anything else. And you certainly need to tell people to expect a 1-2 month lead time on all orders. And if you advertise a keg as cleaned, it had better be cleaned.

You're the worst kind of business owner. Your store has so many problems, there are so many upset former customers, and you're trying to expand, advertise, and give away coupons instead of changing your attitude and actually trying to fix the problem.

Finally, you need to man up and apologize to us instead of thanking us for complaining about how awful you are.

If your house is falling apart, a new front door won't help...

I appreciate the advice. Yesterday we addressed the outdated verbiage on the High 69 regulators.........thanks for pointing that out. As previously mentioned the shipping communication will hopefully improve with today's upgrade. The keg description needs to change as it was a description from a vendor who is no longer selling kegs so we will change to more accurately reflect the quality from the two remaining wholesale keg vendors.

I agree that it would be nice to hear you say that you are going to diligently work on communicating with your customers in a timely manner rather than keeping them in the dark. A new website doesn't solve the problem of customers contacting you with questions about their order and receiving no response, unless you have a robot that can read and respond to emails/phone calls with accurate information and also make business decisions such as grant refunds, etc.

Latest posts

Back