Keg line sanitation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GK@BCB

Reaction score
I've got a couple issues with stuff in my keg lines.

The first is an empty keg line grew some reddish purple stuff in it. Keg line cleaner has been sitting in it for days with no luck cleaning it out. I'm sure I'll need to replace the line, but just curious if anyone knows what this might be.

Another issue in my second line. Air collects in the line just above the sanke fitting between pours. Noticing a little dark growth in there as well. Any suggestions for preventing the air from collecting there.

Thanks.

I've seen residue like that in some of my lines. Don't know if it's yeast, protein, or what, but a long flush and soak with hot Oxyclean gets it right out.

As for the second, you might check your fittings. Sounds like some air might be leaking in.

My general rule is to flush a percarbonate cleaner solution (Oxiclean, PBW, Sun Oxygen Cleaner, etc.) through, followed by hot water, followed by Star San to clean. If that combo can't clear it out, the hose just needs replacing.

Back