Keg life

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jiffybrew

Reaction score
I want to get into kegging my home brew and was wondering how long does the beer last after you have pressurized and started drawing on it? (assuming it doesn't all get drank) haha :mug:

As long as you keep CO2 on it it will never really "go bad". The amount of time you can keep a keg stored comes down to the style/type of beer. Some beers age very well, some hit their peak early.

The longest I've gone so far with a tapped keg is 6 months. None of the others have lasted that long. The quality of that particular brew, over that time period, stayed pretty constant with no noticeable signs of decreasing flavor, aroma, etc.

Like the replier above me stated, since it is constantly under a CO2 blanket, there is nothing really to make it spoil or oxidize. So unless you have a leaky keg or an infection in your tap line that makes its way into the keg, you are good for however long it takes to drink the beer.

Cheers!

Your title would make for a hilarious tattoo. Instead of Thug Life across the top of the abdomen, someone should get Keg Life. Sorry, I'm tired and delirious! :)

Just make sure you leak check those kegs well and buy some extra o-ring kits for them. I might even suggest some keg lube. Nothing more annoying than losing all your CO2 pressure or CO2 from natural carbing because a post or the lid leaks. Kegging is the way to go man. When your ready to make a bottle filler, check out the Biermuncher BF (BMBF). Best $6 I ever spent.

Back