Getting Started Kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SwampFoxBrewer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve exclusively bottled all of my beers, but would like to look into Kegging. That being said, I’d like to get started with a budget-friendly approach.

What are some budget-friendly recommendations for Kegging equipment? I.e., what are the essential items I’ll need?

Tips in general are also appreciated!

if you want really basic, a 1.6 gal keg will fit in the kitchen fridge. get a 20-30 buck mini regulator with co2 cartridges and stubby picnic tap.

Prime the keg with sugar to carbonate and use the mini reg/cartridge to serve.

Used corny kegs pop up on sale here and there, keezer builds are cheap, again find used freezer. Be careful buying used co2 tanks, make sure they are able to be exchanged. IE if it was owned by Pepsi Co certain co2 refill stations won't exchange or fill it for you, and they know the difference. You can get by with picnic taps but how you pour your beer is up to you, you'll need quick connects for your kegs, I prefer ball lock over pin lock but that will be determined by the kegs you find. Then lines, there are charts for line length that will give you a proper pour determined by your set up and hose diameter. This is important for a proper pour. You can just put a keg in an old fridge with your co2 tank and have a picnic tap attached to it, probably use like 5 feet of hose and thats it.

What @odie posted is basically how I started, except that I paid ~$40 each for two of those minikegs. Probably wouldn't have done it at $75 each. Since then I've picked up 8 used five gallon corny kegs in various conditions for anywhere from $5 to $45 each (the $5 ones were in pretty rough shape). Six of them are now in good working order with floating dip tubes, but I still don't have a kegerator or keezer (it's a space issue for me, not an expense issue). I also have a couple of Oxerbar PET kegs with tapping heads. So I prime in the 5 gallon kegs and then transfer to the minikegs to serve from the minifridge behnd my bar. When a corny starts to get low I bottle what's left.

There is also the option of sixtels and other commercial kegs. They are built far tougher than soda kegs and need far less maintaince. Cleaning is a little harder but really not bad as I am learning. You could call local breweries and see if they have any used ones getting close to retirement but still good, and check scrap yards. I just picked up some that came from a keg rental service on Craigslist and am cleaning them. The only real part to replace is the co2 seal, they seem to be $12 and micromatic says to replace them every 8 years or so. Couplers are more expensive but if stainless should never need replacing. I have some Duotight adaptors for them.

Co2 exchange , finding the space needed for keeping a pressurized vessel cold , and $ are your three bottlenecks. Figure those out first.

everything else is next.

although I have a few ball lock kegs . I do a fair amount of what Ill just call dispensing from a PET vessel.

it may not fit the definition of kegging so I’ll leave it at that.
bottling beer in pet bottles is frowned upon so serving out of them under pressure is very likely to also not be encouraged but I see many people serve out of there pressurized FV,s. Many of which are PET so make your own judgement.

carb cap tee pieces are by far the lowest entry into kegging.....Sorry I mean dispensing liquid out of a cold vessel under pressure.

anyway, A carb cap tee piece mini reg and some kind of tap. (This is very important part) will get you started on dispensing beer with co2 which is really what you are after. You can do odies method also which definitely works but I hate those little dog dick co2 cartridges. for a lot of reasons that I won’t go into now. They are great in emergencies and keg travel but not worth the hassle for anything else.
If you have the space, money, and a way to take an empty gas canister to and from a place that’s willing to exchange it then do that instead. get a full size kegerator co2 tank and a corny. You can get off Amazon or more beer plugvand play.
if you want to start small and cheap get a carb cap tee piece. They are always expandible and versatile and when you move to full size kegging with and 8 tap chest freezer converted keezer with tap list and Plato scales you will still find plenty of uses for your tee piece trust me.

I’ve exclusively bottled all of my beers, but would like to look into Kegging. That being said, I’d like to get started with a budget-friendly approach.
ROFL! Good one!

Wait...you're serious.

There is no law that says a keezer has to be fancy or even that it needs a collar. Hand faucets are really cheap. Kegland used to make a stainless one. I have it, and it's fine, but I can't find it online now. I think you have no practical choice but to get an Inkbird, because freezers that allow for higher temperatures are not going to pop up used frequently. If you can't get a used regulator, you'll have to go Chinese to save money. You may wish you had bought a Taprite later.

You can survive without floating dip tubes for sure. Get a toilet brush for cleaning the kegs. You don't need a keg washer. PBW is great, but dish detergent will get it done.

The main problem with trying to save is that it takes a very long time to gather things. You can have four used kegs from Cornykeg.com next week for $209, or you can wait 6 months to get a better deal on Craigslist, and you never know how long the wait will be. And some guys seriously believe they can charge you what they paid.

1706203015441.png

carb cap tee piece on a PET bottle with a picnic tap 2.1
you can turn any soda bottle into a pressurized beer dispensing vessel

IMO to do it right you need:

A few used kegs
5lb C02 w/regulator, and a place to fill it.
A party tap
Dedicated fridge or freezer w/temp controller.

It used to be cheap. I remember getting clean pressurized used kegs for like $25.

Before you get too far invested, make sure you can even get a tank of CO2. My gas supply place (Airgas) literally would not sell me a CO2 cylinder -- something about shortages -- and I had to find a used one somewhere else. They will happily swap, though.

Before you get too far invested, make sure you can even get a tank of CO2. My gas supply place (Airgas) literally would not sell me a CO2 cylinder -- something about shortages -- and I had to find a used one somewhere else. They will happily swap, though.
Brand new ones can be ordered right off Amazon.

Co2 exchange , finding the space needed for keeping a pressurized vessel cold , and $ are your three bottlenecks. Figure those out first.

everything else is next.

although I have a few ball lock kegs . I do a fair amount of what Ill just call dispensing from a PET vessel.

it may not fit the definition of kegging so I’ll leave it at that.
bottling beer in pet bottles is frowned upon so serving out of them under pressure is very likely to also not be encouraged but I see many people serve out of there pressurized FV,s. Many of which are PET so make your own judgement.

carb cap tee pieces are by far the lowest entry into kegging.....Sorry I mean dispensing liquid out of a cold vessel under pressure.

anyway, A carb cap tee piece mini reg and some kind of tap. (This is very important part) will get you started on dispensing beer with co2 which is really what you are after. You can do odies method also which definitely works but I hate those little dog dick co2 cartridges. for a lot of reasons that I won’t go into now. They are great in emergencies and keg travel but not worth the hassle for anything else.
If you have the space, money, and a way to take an empty gas canister to and from a place that’s willing to exchange it then do that instead. get a full size kegerator co2 tank and a corny. You can get off Amazon or more beer plugvand play.
if you want to start small and cheap get a carb cap tee piece. They are always expandible and versatile and when you move to full size kegging with and 8 tap chest freezer converted keezer with tap list and Plato scales you will still find plenty of uses for your tee piece trust me.
I just bought one of these Oxebars and the tapping head. The opening is larger than a regular soda bottle size. There's a pressure release valve on it.
https://www.williamsbrewing.com/Hom...PvGEgQjqfOpeOunitHUz54-2ibO0MKoan-bS6klkKJ2bINote they are kind of tall vs a 2.5 or 3 but not taller than a five gallon. People have reported that they can be laid sideways even. It's not a float diptube just a tube with a filter on the end. The tapping head can be bought separate as can the Oxebar kegs. I have lots of kegs but I needed some of the parts off the tapping head so I bought the keg too just to try it out.

a keg, a regulator, a tank, something that will hold it all.

craigslist and FB are your budget friends...
This. For $150 you could find a tank, regulator, and used five gallon ball lock keg on the Marketplace. It wouldn't take too long and maybe even a little less. Pin locks sell for $30-$40 because they almost always old and few people want to use them. Watch for kegerators and you may get the tank, regulator, and fridge itself for $200 but a little more patience. It may come with the tower and tap. The taps usually aren't great though and most times you'll have to change the tubing. Quality varies. Mini-fridges work and I used to recommend them but a used kegerator is already laid out. People dump them more often than I expected as well for reasonable prices.

You can do odies method also which definitely works but I hate those little dog dick co2 cartridges. for a lot of reasons that I won’t go into now. They are great in emergencies and keg travel but not worth the hassle for anything else.
Not my "method". just showing how quick and cheap you can get started.

I do have that stuff but just for camping and travel.

Home is 20# tanks, multi stage regulators, beer gas, converted fridge and freezers...etc...

Not my "method". just showing how quick and cheap you can get started.

I do have that stuff but just for camping and travel.

Home is 20# tanks, multi stage regulators, beer gas, converted fridge and freezers...etc...
yeah i meant method of starting / getting into/ portabiliy of kegging
not end result.

i like the expansion part of homebrewing. starting small and building up. especially if parts are compatible/ non proprietary. like qd's duotight, growler spears, carb caps. etc

im sure others may disagree but ukeg and nutrachef etc with there strange fittings are useless once you move up to bigger gear. imo

Don't skimp on the regulator. I went through this, having some nice looking regs but they haven't been accurate/consistent and failed early. Pay the $90 and get a Taprite with an o-ring seal. No crush washer that you have to tighten multiple times and perfect beer delivery at the set pressure (with correct length tubing). It's honestly never been better. Some places you can find deals on used corny kegs and just have to get new seals. Some are good, some are beat up. New is a safer bet to not have a co2 leak. Bottle, i'd go for a 10# or bigger so you don't have to constantly get it filled. I have a 20# with 4- 5gal kegs. Fill 1x a year. Cooler, you can find used chest freezers on c-list all the time. Get a inkbird temp controller, build a collar, install your taps and good to go! You only need to decide how many kegs for parts and sizing. Lastly, don't do all of this for one beer on tap, do two or more or at least get a setup that you can expand into multiple kegs/taps.

Counterpoint, I have 5 used regulators and the only leak I've had was with the screw-in o-ring.

I have a nitrogen regulator that isn't reliable when cold. Brand is something like "Chudak." I forget. Probably dates to 2003. Forget finding parts.

Kegging is great but don’t let it lure you into drinking green beer.
I would counter that it helps prevent that if you stay on top of your brewing schedule. I can have two 5 gallon kegs on standby while I’m serving out of another. The footprint of two kegs is way smaller than that of 100 bottles. I could never get far enough ahead on bottling due to the storage limitations; both for filled & empties! I probably drank more green beer when I bottled. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Back