Keg Leaking From Lid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BiscayneBrewing

Reaction score
Kind of stumped here...

Bought 4 kegs a few months ago. All came pressurized so I know they hold air. I have sucessfully used the first three. Yesterday I go to fill up the last one. Put the lid on and go to pressurize but the CO2 is escaping around the lid. It's not a slow leak either, it's coming out pretty fast.

A few weeks ago I broke down the keg, cleaned the crap out of it, replaced the o rings, lubed everything and it basically sat in my garage until yesterday. As far ar trouble shooting...

I have confirmed it's coming from the lid seal and not the pressure relief valve.

I have cleaned the edges of both the keg and lid where the seal is made.

I have tried flipping the lid around to see if I could get a better seal.

I have tried putting on the old gasket/o ring and it still would not seal.

I tried pulling up on the lid as I connected the gas and it still would not seal.

The only thing I can think of that I have not done is to try a lid from one of the other kegs however this will only tell me if it's the lid or the keg and I'll still be left with a keg of beer I can't pressurize. All the other kegs have beer in them.

Any thoughts???

Well obviously test another lid to see what the problem is first. So you have tried lifting up the full keg by the lid handle and then gassing it?

Yeah, just checked a lid from the other keg and it sealed up fine so it's got to be the lid.

I checked out the suspect lid and it does seem ever so slightly warped. It's just weird that the keg was shipped with pressure in it and now it won't hold pressure.

I did try lifting up on the lid while gassing it and still couldn't get a seal.

Now my question is whether to leave the beer in the keg, with the leaky lid on, in the kegerator until the new lid gets here. I hit it with some CO2 to drive out any O2 that was in there but I hope it doesn't oxidize.

Oh and I did try the leaky lid on the other keg and no seal either.

What pressure are you sealing it at? I have 2 kegs that rarely get a seal unless I blast them with 30 psi. Probably an o ring or a warped lid. Is it the right way? Probably not. Does it work for me? Yes. Also, there is some lube you can put on the orings when sealing that's supposedly safe for consumption. It also keeps the o rings moisturized, which in turns helps the o rings shelf life.

I was trying to pressurize it at 12psi. I'll give it a shot at 30 and see what happens. O-rings were already lubed.

New lid has been ordered.

Thanks for the help and suggestions.

Okay I tried hitting it with 30 psi and beer erupted from the top of the keg like a volcano. So I'm cursing you guys and my wife's laughing at me, all the while I'm hunched over in the kegerator with a roll of paper towels cleaning up my mess. Since I'm a glutton for punishment, and it's obviously worked for more than one of you I decided to try it again...with a paper towel tampon affixed over the offending lid, or caldera if you will. Low and behold, it sealed.

At least now it will sit under pressure until the new lid gets here. Thanks!

BiscayneBrewing said:
Okay I tried hitting it with 30 psi and beer erupted from the top of the keg like a volcano. So I'm cursing you guys and my wife's laughing at me, all the while I'm hunched over in the kegerator with a roll of paper towels cleaning up my mess. Since I'm a glutton for punishment, and it's obviously worked for more than one of you I decided to try it again...with a paper towel tampon affixed over the offending lid, or caldera if you will. Low and behold, it sealed.

At least now it will sit under pressure until the new lid gets here. Thanks!

Oh ya that's a side effect sometimes. Sorry! LOL

To prevent that, start at 10psi ans get a semi seal then crank it to 30

To prevent that, start at 10psi ans get a semi seal then crank it to 30

Oh, yeah, did we leave that part out? Sorry! :D

BTW, if one of us tells you to use a screwdriver and gently push down on the "out" poppit to make sure it's sealed- DO NOT listen! That's what these comedians did to me a few years ago when I kegged my first beer.

I discovered that homebrewers have a warped sense of humor. And that beer under 30 psi can cover an entire kitchen ceiling in less than 10 seconds.

Back