Infernally, eternally leaking old kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cider Wraith

Reaction score
I want to like old kegs, I really do. I’ve lovingly cleaned them up as if restoring an old car. I’ve replaced parts and scraped off old stickers and wondered where they’ed been and stories they could tell. But not having time to babysit constantly leaking lids running out of patience.

Half a year ago switched from carboys to corny keg fermenters with lots to like. One inch trimmed tubes work ideally. And because I typically make about two-and-a-half gallon batches, five gallon cornys work well for transferring and elevating to a countertop for gravity transfers. And I like the idea I can have a fermenting session where I start five batches in five cornys and give them five days or five weeks and there's no rush to process them because all I'm tying up is an inexpensive old keg.

However, incessant lid leaking has me close to about being done with them. Tried everything, new over-sized "O-ring" seals, application of lube from a new tube every-single time opening the lid, pressurizing them with a tank to "seal" the lid, spacers including cardboard and pennies under the sealing struts, all new PRVs. And, just when I think a lid is holding and pressurize it up to about 12 PSI to “seal it” - two hours later it’s pissed away all the pressure and again hissing gas through the seal.

Appreciate any feedback or success stories on when you gave up on corny fermenters and bought a proper fermenter and also on which dedicated fermenter to consider. Any words of wisdom appreciated.

Last edited:
The only experience I have had with a leaking corny lid was solved by swapping with the lid from a different keg. I suspect the lid had been swapped around sometime in the past and the one it ended up with didn't seat quite right. Is this happening on all of your kegs or just a couple?

yeah, try swapping lids. They "should" all be the same and interchangeable. But sometimes a lid and keg become "mated" and they will only work with each other.

And closely inspect both for damage or deformation. It happens.

Back