New Torpedo keg leaks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BenniferBropez

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello all, I have received a brand new 10 gallon Torpedo keg as a Christmas gift. The keg came pressurized but when I put liquid with PBW in it to clean it before filling it, it began to leak like crazy. It started when I turned it upside down as it began to form a puddle slowly on the kitchen floor. I checked it with soapy water and it is not the posts or poppit but the keg seal around the lid that was leaking. I tried to settle it in numerous times and each time it would leak. I got it to seal when I pressurized it and after that there was no more bubbling or leaking around the seal. It has to be pressurized to seal. I guess it would hold pressure over time, (but can't be certain), but even if it holds pressure I want to be able to fill with sanitizer and shake it to splash it around without it spraying out the lid. Is this normal for Torpedo kegs? I have a really old 5 gallon Cornelius soda keg and I does not leak like that.
Thank you,
Ben

Last edited:
It is normal to use pressure to properly seat a keg lid, except when using silicone seals*. That's why guides/articles always say to give it 10psi or whatever.

It's a little surprising it leaks enough to form a puddle, but IMHO all kegs should be assumed to be leaking until the lid has been pressure seated.

Does it appear warped or poorly machined? And is this the standard lid or "mega mouth"?

*It sounds like the majority of people are moving away from silicone gaskets because of high permiability.

Last edited:
It is normal to use pressure to properly seat a keg lid, except when using silicone seals*. That's why guides/articles always say to give it 10psi or whatever.

It's a little surprising it leaks enough to form a puddle, but IMHO all kegs should be assumed to be leaking until the lid has been pressure seated.

Does it appear warped or poorly machined? And is this the standard lid or "mega mouth"?

*It sounds like the majority of people are moving away from silicon gaskets because of high permiability.
Hey mashdar, no, I cannot discern any warping or machining issues. Yes, this is the standard mega mouth Torpedo lid. I don't know what material he gasket is made of. It is black and came with the keg. I have read others bought a slightly oversized print and that it helped seal their lid at 0 psi.
Ben

The megamouth have a bigger opening, so getting replacement gaskets other than first party may be more difficult.

I think think (but am not positive) that torpedo kegs come with epdm seals, which are lower permiability than silicon, but more finicky to seal.

Have you tried lubing it?

The megamouth have a bigger opening, so getting replacement gaskets other than first party may be more difficult.

I think think (but am not positive) that torpedo kegs come with epdm seals, which are lower permiability than silicon, but more finicky to seal.

Have you tried lubing it?
Hey Mashdar, thank you for the advice and response. I have not used lube. I have just never needed it with my corny keg so I just don't have any on hand but can get some. Will it help with sealing a lid o-ring?

I know it helps seal under pressure when things don't line up quite right. I'm not 100% sure if it also helps while unpressurized. It might just let things shift around a little when the pressure hits.

I checked it with soapy water and it is not the posts or poppit but the keg seal around the lid that was leaking. I tried to settle it in numerous times and each time it would leak.
They should have sent a new set of o-rings along with the keg.

Chances are the keg has been pressurized for weeks, possibly months, and the o-ring got either a "habit" (flattened) or other slight deformation in it.

Keep an eye on it, spray with Starsan or bubble juice. Even a small leak could empty out your CO2 tank in a matter of days or even hours.

If you used warm/hot liquid to clean then turned upside down, it may have created a vacuum when shaking due to the liquid cooling and unseated the lid so it could leak.
Pressurize it to avoid this.

Back