OK so how do racetrack keg gas posts seal anyway?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mac_1103

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Obviously I'm being dense and missing something really obvious, but I cannot for the life of me figure out what is supposed to make this thing seal.

1698421539213.jpeg

Does the nylon spacer compress the nylon dip tube enough to seal the whole thing? Even if that's how it's supposed to work, it still seems like there would be a path for gas to get round the spacer and leak out through the threads. There does not seem to be any place to put an o-ring.

I got two of these basically as throw-ins on a recent Craigslist purchase. Cleaned them up and bought replacement gas dip tubes and spacers, and amazingly one of them is actually holding pressure. This one has a wonky lid with a bad PRV and also leaks at the base of the gas post, which actually makes more sense to me in a way.

Luckily, my racetrack also held pressure, so I haven't had to disassemble it again now that it's my sanitizer keg.

But according to AIH instructions (Racetrack Keg Rebuild Kit) you've got it right. Though with the lighting, there appears to be a bit of a high spot on that bung, which could easily cause seal troubles with this setup.

High spot on which piece? And just for the record, AIH doesn't actually have those rebuild kits in stock anymore and doesn't plan to restock them. I assume the parts are simply becoming almost impossible to source so I can't really hold it against them. But if you can send me an email explaining this then you should be able to update your website too.

Somehow missed that one in my searches. Shockingly enough, links posted in 2009 are dead! :rolleyes:

Guess I'll try it without a dip tube. Why the hell not?

Back