KBS Clone Recipe in Zymurgy!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just scored my first ever two bottles of KBS. I'll do a side by side when mine is ready at end of the year. Try to post pics and tasting notes. Maybe I also pop open the BCS I have and try that too. Maybe I'll take hydro readings, but I'm not going to decarb any samples, that's for sure. I might be able to back calculate the OG and use the ABV to estimate FG with refracto measurements. I think that they might be adding pure bourbon to the barrels when they rack the beer at the brewery.

I brewed this up a few months ago and aged it in my 5 gallon whiskey barrel. HOLY CRAP this is an amazing beer. I adjusted the recipe some to get it up to 11%, I ended up having to add some DME and I also added about a pound of cane sugar to dry it out a bit, but I hit right at 11%.

Quick question... If one were to enter this into a competition, which category would you enter it in... Imperial Stout? or Wood Aged?

So how long did you age the beer in the barrel? I'm considering making this beer and aging it in a 'fresh' 10gal bourbon barrel.

Tasted this today, well the half that I pitched with Roeselare Blend. Brewed this back in November 2013 if my notes are correct. Hit 1.086 OG. If the corrected refractometer reading is and accurate reflection of the real gravity with a hydrometer, it hit 1.000 and is at 11.4% ABV. Need to check that when I bottle using a real hydrometer though. More importantly, it tastes friggin' Awesome! Of course the Whisky I added a few months back is probably throwing it all out of whack.

Didn't test the non-soured version, but I gotta assume that it is ready for bottling, but I expect a much higher FG.

The Oak and whisky additions certainly are not overpowering or unpleasant.

Might have to brew one of these every year.

TD

Yeah I've actually been to the gypsum mines they age the beer in. Its an abandoned mine purchased by a storage company that now leases space and advertises it as a constant temp and humidity environment. Its always dry and 50 degrees F, if anyone can mimic those conditions long term... More info here if you're interested: http://www.undergroundsecuritycompany.com/history.html

Here's what I'm going to do. I'm bottling half of my batch today without any oak or bourbon. Should be a good coffee stout. The other half I'm splitting into two, one gallon glass carboys. I'm going to put half the oak cubes in one, and in the other I'll put the rest of the oak cubes and half of my oaked bourbon. I'll save the other half of the bourbon for another batch of something else later.

So I'll have:
2 gal coffee stout
1 gal coffee stout + 1oz bourbon soaked oak cubes
1 gal coffee stout + 1oz bourbon soaked oak cubes + 4oz oaked bourbon.

If one is weak and the other strong I'll mix them before bottling, otherwise should be an interesting experiment

I'll use regular priming sugar and bottle condition the plain brew. Probably the same method for the others as I don't see any other way (no keg system here unfortunately, although after aging for a year, who knows).

I've only got a few of the non-oaked ones left. Something went weird with my batch - it has a very distinct grassy flavor that's a big turnoff to me. I read up on the issue and it's either bad grains or incomplete fermentation (which is entirely possible with a big batch like this). My two 1gal fermenters with bourbon and oak have a good layer of trub on the bottom, so I'm hoping for the latter and these actually fermented out completely to rid that nasty flavor.

Regardless, I'm getting the itch to bottle these finally. I can give them a good 60 days in the bottle or so before the snow starts flying here and it's time for a good warming beer like this.

We're getting close to the results... can't wait!

So, I brewed 6 gallons of this on Sunday and everything went as planned, EXCEPT I forgot to add the cocoa nibs to the boil. Question for you guys, should I add the cocoa nibs to secondary? Any downside to this? Also, if I add to secondary, how much?

Thanks!

I've only got a few of the non-oaked ones left. Something went weird with my batch - it has a very distinct grassy flavor that's a big turnoff to me. I read up on the issue and it's either bad grains or incomplete fermentation (which is entirely possible with a big batch like this). My two 1gal fermenters with bourbon and oak have a good layer of trub on the bottom, so I'm hoping for the latter and these actually fermented out completely to rid that nasty flavor.

Regardless, I'm getting the itch to bottle these finally. I can give them a good 60 days in the bottle or so before the snow starts flying here and it's time for a good warming beer like this.

We're getting close to the results... can't wait!

Ok, whelp I bottled these all up yesterday after about 9 months. The off flavor and smell were much worse than my previously bottled non-oaked version. I bottled them anyway, maybe a few years in the bottle will help. But, I did take a sample to determine the right amount of oak/bourbon.

If you're soaking the oak in the bourbon, I'd just pitch the whole thing in. The oak version I did had a very mild oak flavor with a slight whiskey burn at the end. The oak+bourbon one had a bit less mild oak flavor with a stronger whisky burn at the end. The first was almost unnoticeable, which is why I say to put in the oak plus the bourbon.

If you're able to help me with my off flavor, I'm trying to figure it out here. Otherwise, I hope this info helps. Hope yours all turned out great!

I kegged my batch last night. Filled a 5 gallon keg. Brewed on Dec 28th last year. OG 1.086 ( a but shy of target), and FG 1.015. Not too bad! I added about a pint of whisky which is probably throwing it off a bit. Hydro sample tastes great! I think it'll clear nicely in the keg and is carbonating now. I'm planning to try serving it on Nitro for added fun. Flavor is rather amazing - lots going on in there.

side by side to come...

TD

Looks almost identical to the Breakfast Stout recipe I brewed on Saturday. I ended up with about 2.5 gallons extra wort (don't ask...) so I am thinking about finishing it off with oak and bourbon to make some KBS-ish beer.

Thinking about brewing this up for a brewing demo coming up.

I am worried about the cocoa nibs. chocolate, and coffee additions clogging my pump though -

I have a chugger pump that I use to feed the wort through my pate chiller. I also have a keg screen that is on the inside of the kettle going to the valve. I'd be putting the nibs in my hop spider for sure. Not sure about the Coffee grounds and chocolate fouling up the pump and plate chiller? If so, can I do something like boil the chocolate and/or coffee grounds separately and then add to the fermenter after the boil?

Any thoughts on this? The last thing I want is during the demo to get a fouled pump!

I recirculated through my hop spider when I brewed and its the big one from SS somethings or other (Zack I think runs it). It got plugged and over-ran back into the brewpot. I had thrown them all loose into the kettle. If you start them off in the hop spider from the beginning (Hops, Nibs, coffee, chocolate you should be fine.

TD

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1416186019.685193.jpg

Here is my side by side

Aroma is hard to judge as my sinuses are hosed...

Flavor and taste I can say that this recipe delivers!!

Mine is on the left. Nitro pour so exact comparison not exactly accurate. Mine is smooth, with lots of chocolate and coffee flavor plus a goodly amount of roasted barley. Could have more mouth feel just a tad. Overall a really great beer. Not too boozey or oakey. Mine is off dry I would say. 9.5% ABV but the straight Jameson I added (I know is not bourbon) could be throwing the hydro calculation off..

The Real KBS on the right has little carbonation with a tan short head that quickly dissipates after pouring. Has more body than mine with a significant licorice type flavor that mine is lacking. More zing from the bourbon barrels (and probably straight whisky addition!) but not tasting boozy. More oak character than mine has. Less coffee and chocolate flavor than mine which again might be the nitro effect. Could be slightly more bitter than mine as well though hard to be certain.

Both are great, yet different. Mine more quaffable, the KBS a definite sipper. Mine is as smooth as Guinness. Could get into real trouble as it doesn't taste like a 9.5'er.

Next time more whiskey and more more oak and more roasted barley I think. I may spike it with a bit more oak infused Jameson.

Where does the licorice flavor come from???

TD

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I brewed this late August and bottled it early November. I'm a kegger but for a beer like this, I figured I'd bust out the bottling equipment.

I will just say that this recipe is awesome. Every home brewer I've given a bottle to has asked for the recipe. Even with very little aging time, this is so drinkable. It's going to be a matter of sheer will to save a 6 pack to let it properly age.

I brewed the recipe very close to as-written and ended with 4 gallons @ 1.096 and finishing at 1.035. I made the following small changes:

* I increased the grain bill slightly for my efficiency

* I used my own home-roasted Ethiopian coffee in place of the Kona and Sumatra

* I mashed/sparged with about 10.5 gallons total and then boiled down to get added sugars from my mash. I think the boil ended up being about 2.5 hours.

I brewed again on Wednesday last week using the original recipe grain bill and ended with 4.1 gallons @ 1.102. A sample yesterday with airlock activity stopped weighed in at 1.035 again as a final (US-05 both batches) so ~9% before bourbon additions. Taste right out of primary was already good; going to be another great batch. This time around, I'm doubling the oak to .5 oz and adding an extra 1/4 cup of whiskey. Will probably just do a week or two on the oak and then bottle age.

I have 2 bottles of KBS 2013 on the shelf but I haven't aged my batch of this one enough yet to make it worthy of a comparison to a well-aged KBS. As my memory serves KBS has more boubon/oak notes from the barrel and the coffee/chocolate are more evenly blended. That comes with time I'm sure. That being said, this is a FANTASTIC recipe. I just bought a pound of williamette and half a pound of nugget because this one is now on my regular list.

DonnieZ - I haven't had any issues with my chugger clogging up on this one. The hops and nibs go right in the hop spider. I did extract some wort from my kettle valve into a 1 gallon bucket to melt down the chocolate, then poured the liquid chocolate wort right into the pot. Same with coffee; pulled out some wort, put my coffee in the french press with hot wort, pressed it out after 4-5 minutes and dumped it back into the kettle directly.

Thinking about brewing this up for a brewing demo coming up.

I am worried about the cocoa nibs. chocolate, and coffee additions clogging my pump though -

I have a chugger pump that I use to feed the wort through my pate chiller. I also have a keg screen that is on the inside of the kettle going to the valve. I'd be putting the nibs in my hop spider for sure. Not sure about the Coffee grounds and chocolate fouling up the pump and plate chiller? If so, can I do something like boil the chocolate and/or coffee grounds separately and then add to the fermenter after the boil?

Any thoughts on this? The last thing I want is during the demo to get a fouled pump!

I recirculated this in my old March 809 and ran the return into a hop spider. Big mistake. The hop spider clogged from all the stuff.

By the way, does anybody crush their cocoa nibs? I read that somewhere about crushing them maybe through the mill...

Last off, bump on the licorice flavors in the real KBS... Where from? Brewers licorice?? Anybody?

TD

Brewed this on Nov 1, and life's been busy and I'm just getting around to moving this off of primary.

Question about the coffee.. Calls for two ounces.. Measured how? Two ounces of liquid coffee, two ounces of grounds cold pressed at 7:1 (about 14 ounces of liquid coffee) or what? I've had some awful homebrew before that had way too much coffee and they get that green pepper flavor.

So far this finished out about 1024, which is a little higher than I would have liked but it is what it is. Got my nibs and oak ready, just gotta figure out the coffee.

I think I'm the only one who brewed this and I'm disappointed by it. Been super stoked to try this one. Brewed Nov 1 and kegged it up around New Years.

Now - I am my own worst critic, and I'm overly harsh. However, I'm trying to get by this.

So far, I think the beer has a very one-dimensional flavor. I don't know if it's coffee, cocoa nibs, or roasted malts. When it warms up, it leaves a really strong aftertaste that I'm not a fan of. People at my homebrew club seemed to not think too badly of it, however I presented it as "I don't know what's wrong with this beer, but I don't really care for it.

The beer finished at 1022, and on Christmas Eve I racked it on to an ounce of cold press Kona coffee (1 ounce grains in about 10-12 ounces water, let steep at room temp overnight), 1.5 ounces of Cocoa Nibs soaked in 3 ounces of Vodka for about 3 days, and an ounce of American oak chips that had been soaking in Makers Mark for about 2 months.

The only thing I didn't really do was a big starter for this beer. I figured I'd need in the nieghborhood of 330M cells, so I pitched two satchets of US-05 and let it primary for a month and 25 days. I was going to brew it again this weekend with an appropriately sized starter, however I'm just not sure if that was the issue.

I get very little bourbon/oak, and I'm having trouble discerning the other flavors. I'm going to take some advice from a brewing buddy of mine and take the keg out of the kegerator and let it sit for a month or two and come back to it and see if it's better.

Am I just not giving this beer long enough?

The primary fermentation took almost two months? I would bet that's your off flavor culprit. That's an awful long time, and yeast could be dying off and causing off flavors. Plus using dry yeast for a 9 abv beer would seem to be too stressful for the yeast which would also cause them to produce weird flavors.

I've made enough fermentation mistakes that I've learned to make starters for big beers, don't leave it on the yeast too long and most importantly, take care of fermentation temps.

I think I'm the only one who brewed this and I'm disappointed by it. Been super stoked to try this one. Brewed Nov 1 and kegged it up around New Years.

Now - I am my own worst critic, and I'm overly harsh. However, I'm trying to get by this.

So far, I think the beer has a very one-dimensional flavor. I don't know if it's coffee, cocoa nibs, or roasted malts. When it warms up, it leaves a really strong aftertaste that I'm not a fan of. People at my homebrew club seemed to not think too badly of it, however I presented it as "I don't know what's wrong with this beer, but I don't really care for it.

The beer finished at 1022, and on Christmas Eve I racked it on to an ounce of cold press Kona coffee (1 ounce grains in about 10-12 ounces water, let steep at room temp overnight), 1.5 ounces of Cocoa Nibs soaked in 3 ounces of Vodka for about 3 days, and an ounce of American oak chips that had been soaking in Makers Mark for about 2 months.

The only thing I didn't really do was a big starter for this beer. I figured I'd need in the nieghborhood of 330M cells, so I pitched two satchets of US-05 and let it primary for a month and 25 days. I was going to brew it again this weekend with an appropriately sized starter, however I'm just not sure if that was the issue.

I get very little bourbon/oak, and I'm having trouble discerning the other flavors. I'm going to take some advice from a brewing buddy of mine and take the keg out of the kegerator and let it sit for a month or two and come back to it and see if it's better.

Am I just not giving this beer long enough?

It definitely does seem a little long to have it in primary for 2 months. I have brewed this 3 times now and oddly enough I'm drinking one as we speak. I usually primary for 2 weeks. I add the oak (.5 oz chips) bourbon (1.25 cups) and french press 2.5 Oz of coffee (my own home roasted Ethiopian beans) an 8 cup french press full of water (cooled after brewing) into a secondary and rack on top of it for another 2 weeks then age in the bottle. Haven't kegged a batch yet but #4 will probably go in a keg. I do use dry yeast too...us05 and pitch 2 packets. FG is a little high but I have never had an issue. Gives it a nice sticky sweet dimension to have the sugars still in there IMHO. Just tonight I racked batch 3 to secondary. OG 1.102/ FG 1.028 for 9.8% before bourbon.

One more thing to consider. With a beer this dark it may be worth looking into your water profile. There is a LOT of dark malt in this beer and depending on your water your pH could be too low. This is the only beer I make that I don't have to dilute my water with distilled because of how hard my water is.

The primary fermentation took almost two months? I would bet that's your off flavor culprit. That's an awful long time, and yeast could be dying off and causing off flavors. Plus using dry yeast for a 9 abv beer would seem to be too stressful for the yeast which would also cause them to produce weird flavors.

I've made enough fermentation mistakes that I've learned to make starters for big beers, don't leave it on the yeast too long and most importantly, take care of fermentation temps.

Fermentation was done in about 2 weeks. However, It finished in the 1022 range, and I thought I'd get a few more points out of it by raising the temperature of the fermentation chamber up into the high 60's / low 70s.

According to MrMalty, I needed about 288 billion cells. I should have needed less than 1.4 satchets of dry yeast - I pitched two, which given average cell count per package of dry yeast, should have been around 400 billion cells. Even accounting for some of the dry yeast not being viable, I still think I had a decent pitching rate.

I do think autolysis could be an issue though - I will definitely not leave it on the yeast for so long next time. If I do brew this again, I will definitely make a starter but I'm not fully convinced this is a pitching rate / yeast health issue.

I would definitely look at your water if yu hadn't already. if your PH is off, it can make a dark beer taste off.

Good point on the water profile, mash pH. I'll point out again, that mine is definitely lacking the licorice flavor that the real stuff has. Does anyone else notice this??

Mine was only 9.5%. I think I calculated that to hit 11.2% it would take a liter of bourbon. My keg is about 2/3 full. I had it on nitro and am letting it off gas then force carbonate and bottle carbonated with beer gun.

TD

According to MrMalty, I needed about 288 billion cells. I should have needed less than 1.4 satchets of dry yeast - I pitched two, which given average cell count per package of dry yeast, should have been around 400 billion cells.

Mr. Malty is getting their info from a single flawed study. The Fermentis website itself only claims 6 billion cells per gram. I use Brewer's Friend, it has many more options. Also, at this high of gravity you should be pitching at least 1.0. That means you'd need over 460 billion cells for a 5 gallon batch at 1.092 OG. I used a lot more oak and had a great oak flavor. Also if you didn't actually add the bourbon you won't get the bourbon flavor.

Mr. Malty is getting their info from a single flawed study. The Fermentis website itself only claims 6 billion cells per gram. I use Brewer's Friend, it has many more options. Also, at this high of gravity you should be pitching at least 1.0. That means you'd need over 460 billion cells for a 5 gallon batch at 1.092 OG. I used a lot more oak and had a great oak flavor. Also if you didn't actually add the bourbon you won't get the bourbon flavor.

Even Beersmith didn't say I needed that many cells. Remember, my OG came out around 1079, not 1092.

I would definitely look at your water if yu hadn't already. if your PH is off, it can make a dark beer taste off.

I brew with distilled and add salts accordingly, using Bru'n Water as my calculator for what salts to add. I don't have the exact profile here, but I can get it later when I'm home.

Even Beersmith didn't say I needed that many cells. Remember, my OG came out around 1079, not 1092.

Remember? You never mentioned your OG nor how many gallons you ended up with in primary anywhere in this thread. Anyway, that's 440 billion cells for a 5.5 gallon batch pitching at 1.0 (assuming you had a 5.5 gallon batch since a default calculation at 0.75 would give 330 billion cells.) S-04 tested at 8 billion cells per gram, so I would make the same assumption for US-05 and pitch 55g to hit that number of cells. It's unfortunate that some of these calculators think dry yeast has 20 billion cells per gram as a lot of people are probably under-pitching when they think they are actually over-pitching.

Anyway, that's 440 billion cells for a 5.5 gallon batch pitching at 1.0 (assuming you had a 5.5 gallon batch since a default calculation at 0.75 would give 330 billion cells.) S-04 tested at 8 billion cells per gram, so I would make the same assumption for US-05 and pitch 55g to hit that number of cells. It's unfortunate that some of these calculators think dry yeast has 20 billion cells per gram as a lot of people are probably under-pitching when they think they are actually over-pitching.

Mr. Malty is getting their info from a single flawed study. .

You make some pretty brash statements against Mr. Malty. I'm not saying you're wrong, but if I'm putting my money on who knows what they're talking about when it comes to yeast between a random Internet stranger and Jamil Zainasheff, my money goes on Jamil 100% of the time.

Can you point me in the direction of some evidence that speaks to the flaws in Mr. Malty, that includes actual findings and not just the word of other Internet randoms?

http://www.brewersfriend.com/yeast-pitch-rate-and-starter-calculator/#cells_per_gram

Link to a researcher claiming 20B, but only has an n of 1: http://www.danstaryeast.com/articles/cell-count-and-glycogen

I said flawed study because I see n of 1. I looked at the link and I would actually refer to it as an observation rather than a study. I took a look at Mr. Malty again and Jamil says he has done many counts on dry yeast that measure 20 billion. He also mentions Dr. Clayton Cone and other folks I trust. No link to a proper study, but implying multiple observations. I personally would like to see what Jamil says laid out in a little more detail regarding the exact yeast, exact count, and how many observations he made, but since I've never looked at yeast under a microscope and I actually can't find ANY real research on specific dry yeast counts (I can't find the data for the Van Den Berg & Van Landschoot study) I certainly have no evidence to challenge what he says. I've been using the brewersfriend.com rates of 10 billion cells per gram (which is much closer to what the manufacturer claims) with great success and will continue to do so until I see some REAL research on specific dry yeast, but maybe I am over-pitching. I also like their calculator much better.

Brewer in Aus here. Looking to make this, but Kona coffee is hard to locate down here. Are you guys using blends or 100% single source?

What is the flavour profile of Kona? Any coffee snobs able to explain what flavour pallette it might be contributing?
Thinking that both additions might end up being Sumatran. Any comments?

Brewer in Aus here. Looking to make this, but Kona coffee is hard to locate down here. Are you guys using blends or 100% single source?

What is the flavour profile of Kona? Any coffee snobs able to explain what flavour pallette it might be contributing?
Thinking that both additions might end up being Sumatran. Any comments?

I use single source Ethiopian beans for this that I roast myself. I wouldn't worry if you can't find Kona; just use a coffee that you really enjoy.

100% pure Kona has very little acidity and flavor. Its very light and subtle. In a medium roast its bright and slightly nutty. Further roasting gives a a slight chocolatey flavor.

Its a nice coffee but in my opinion is not very flavorful and i believe its so popular because most people like it who are every day drinkers and not people who love the wonderful complex character of coffees such as Ethiopian, Brazilian, Mexican or Central American coffees.

But then again I have only had one real kona variety from one plantation and that was a few years ago.

And yes I agree with the above use a freshly ground coffee you like to drink (assuming your a coffee drinker who drinks it black) and im sure youll be happy.

I have a question.

When brewing this recipe, for the bittersweet chocolate I used Bakers Bittersweet Chocolate. Also, I left the cocoa nibs in the primary (should they still be in there for the primary or should they be discarded before racking to primary?)

I used Wyeast 1056.

After about 48 hours I still do not see any signs of fermentation taking place. Is this because of the chocolate? Could there be other reasons? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

DaveMANIA said:
After about 48 hours I still do not see any signs of fermentation taking place. Is this because of the chocolate? Could there be other reasons? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

What was your OG and how big of a starter did you use?

OG was 1.06. Does that sound about right?

I guess I was just impatient. By the time I woke up the next morning the fermentation was going crazy.

Getting my strike water up to temp for my KBS as we speak starter 5am this morning ��. I am making a video of my brew day since I can't find a KBS clone video on YouTube. I may post it in steps since I plan to let it sit until around December before bottling. So much good information on this thread, the home brew community is the ****! Any ideas dme beers to pickup from the beer store today for some insperation to this beer, since I can't get the real thing?

So I am not too sure how this brew day went. I have a 9gal kettle - E-BIAB E-Rim system. A 5 gal ~10%abv is. Challenge in this system. Mashed the grains into 5.75 gallons of water at 155 for 60 minutes. Had to kill the pump and stop recirc every 10 minutes to loosen the grain bed. Valve was hardly open as I have learned through my brew days on this system. After removing the grain bag and basket I was left with 4 gallons at 1.80 (est og 1.093-1.095). Batch sparged to raise my volume and ended up with 7.5 gallons at 1.060 preboil. The recipe calls for a 90 min boil so to try and raise my Gravity I let it boil 120min.

At this point I'm bumming out hard. I always hit my numbers so spot on and it was just not jiving with me hitting .03 points low. While transgerimg through the plate chiller I pulled a sample to test the gravity... 1.092. How is that even possible??

Can I get some numbers from people who have brewed a RIS or the KBS clone? Looking for some pre boil gravities to see if raising your gravity .032 points from a 120 min boil (only half hour longer than proposed boil length).

I brewed something similar to this a couple days ago and it's in the fermenter now. I didn't add coffee to the kettle at flameout though. I just bought some Sumatra and Kona coffee yesterday. Would it be ok to add some cold brewed Sumatra coffee to the fermenter at this point and let it go for a couple weeks or should I wait and add both coffee's after a couple weeks to the primary and then let it go for one more week?

I brewed something similar to this a couple days ago and it's in the fermenter now. I didn't add coffee to the kettle at flameout though. I just bought some Sumatra and Kona coffee yesterday. Would it be ok to add some cold brewed Sumatra coffee to the fermenter at this point and let it go for a couple weeks or should I wait and add both coffee's after a couple weeks to the primary and then let it go for one more week?

Coffee tends to fade fast. Not as fast as some hops, but it fades fast.

My coffee stouts lately have simply been grounds in secondary, then I cold crash and put some kind of filter over the siphon when going into the keg.

I'd move it off the yeast, let it sit until you think it's ready to drink, then hit it with the coffee grounds for about 4 days or so, crash, then keg, carb, and serve.

Back