just for kicks i ordered 2ozs of apricot flavoring....how should i use it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColonelForbin

Reaction score
i ordered it from AHS. never used flavoring before and was planning on putting it in a hefe. how much should i use?, and can i add it directly to the bottle? i also have a dropper which should be the most accurate way to measure the amount of flavoring i put into each bottle.

most flavorings go about 4 oz for 5gal batch. You add it with the priming sugar at bottling.

I would suggest to try adding various amounts to different groups of bottles to find out how much/little flavoring suits your tastes. Once you find out which bottles you like best you can calculate out exactly how much flavoring to add to a 5 gallon batch next time you try it.

I also like to experiment so take that suggestion with a grain of salt.

:tank:

I would suggest giving the bottle to someone as a gift and adding actual apricots to the secondary instead. Adding bottled flavor isn't my cup of tea so i would try to steer people from it. That's just my worthless opinion though. :)

If you must though, start small and work your way up. You might not even like the results.

I would leave it in the pantry and never let it get near any beer...ever! :)

If you have never had a magic hat #9, i would try that. I believe it uses apricot, but you could probably just use some flavoring.

Several people have beat me to the punch on this one...my first though at glimpse of the thread title was: "Noooooooo....!" But seriously, I agree that you should probably not use the extract for brewing...perhaps you could trade it for some real apricots and peaches.

I stopped using extract after the first time I made a beer with real fruit in secondary and realized how much better it tasted than the previous batch I made with just extract.

FWIW, I do like apricot/peach flavor in beer...always liked #9 (try it black & tan style w/ Guinness!), and especially like DFH's Aprihop (and not to mention their Festina Pesche)

i was just curious. i wasnt expecting awesome results but i do want to see how it comes out just for fun. i wanted to mess around with a couple of bottles adding differnet amounts to see what it did. there have been award winning homebrews that have won many competitions brewing with these extracts too, so i figured id give it a try.

Don't Fruit the Beer!

But Jamesport Brewing Company in Ludington, MI makes a very nice Apricot Wheat! It's one of the few fruit beers that I actually like. It's not a very strong fruit flavor though.

Back