Junga Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnOldUR

fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Looking, but not finding much current information on this hop. Picked up a pound of 9.9% AA whole leaf from Hops Direct to justify shipping of a Memorial Day sale order. Most descriptors call it a bittering hop, but there are some saying dual-purpose.

Had an unexpected opportunity to brew yesterday, so through together a single hop American Wheat recipe using Junga. A small bittering charge then a half pound of flame-out, whirlpool additions. Got an unusual spicy, minty aroma from the wort going into my fermenters that has me curious what the results will be.

The worst part of brewing is the waiting. Hoping to find someone who used these hops for late additions and hear their results. Ease my mind that I didn't waste a brewday.

I've not used Junga but I think it isn't that different of Marynka. I've had beers with it and it seems a very clean hop with herbal / woody notes. A bit like a beefed up Slovenian or German hop.

Any update on this? It's only $5 a lb and am thinking of doing the same thing.
Just kegged it earlier this week. Junga on its own made a good beer, but not what I would consider great. I get very little of the blackcurrant or grapefruity aroma they spoke of. To me it resembled a Continental Hop, more herbal and earthy with some spiciness.

I'm not one who will drink a beer just because it's beer and I brewed it. I won't hesitate to dump, but this one is a keeper. That said, I wouldn't brew a single hop pale ale with it again. Might be better in a darker beer or combined with Noble hops.

At five dollars a pound, you should give it a try. You may really like it.

It's always a good bittering hop, though. Plus if you want clean woody / earthy aroma and flavour you can use it for that. I'd use it in dark beers or lagers, possibly blended with more fruity / floral hops in British styles as well (I'd bet it goes well with Fuggles).

Back