Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gallagher1424

Reaction score
Hello fellow home brewers.

I Developed this recipe looking to create an IPA that would be juicy but not necessarily hazy.
I was hoping that I could get some feed back on any modifications or suggestions you may have.

Stats
IBU:44
SRM: 9
OG:1.066

5.25 gallon batch size
Mash at 150F for 70min
Boil for 60 min

Fermentables
7.5 lbs Pale Malt 2 row
5 lb Marris Otter
1lb Crystal 40
8oz Cara Pils

Hops
0.3oz Magnum (60 min)
1oz Citra (10min)
1oz Galaxy (10 min)
1 oz Citra (1 min)
1 oz Galaxy (1 min)
2oz Citra (Dry Hop 4 days)
2oz Galaxy (Dry Hop 4 days)

Yeast
Imperial Yeast - Dry Hop A24 (2L starter)

Miscellaneous
1g Baking Soda
3g Calcium Chloride
2g Epsom Salt
2g Gypsum
1 tsp lactic acid
1 tab Whirlfloc
1 Vial Clarity Ferm
2oz Isinglass

Hello fellow home brewers.

I Developed this recipe looking to create an IPA that would be juicy but not necessarily hazy.
I was hoping that I could get some feed back on any modifications or suggestions you may have.

Stats
IBU:44
SRM: 9
OG:1.066

5.25 gallon batch size
Mash at 150F for 70min
Boil for 60 min

Fermentables
7.5 lbs Pale Malt 2 row
5 lb Marris Otter
1lb Crystal 40
8oz Cara Pils

Hops
0.3oz Magnum (60 min)
1oz Citra (10min)
1oz Galaxy (10 min)
1 oz Citra (1 min)
1 oz Galaxy (1 min)
2oz Citra (Dry Hop 4 days)
2oz Galaxy (Dry Hop 4 days)

Yeast
Imperial Yeast - Dry Hop A24 (2L starter)

Miscellaneous
1g Baking Soda
3g Calcium Chloride
2g Epsom Salt
2g Gypsum
1 tsp lactic acid
1 tab Whirlfloc
1 Vial Clarity Ferm
2oz Isinglass
Seems like you’re looking for an American ipa but with an elevated hop character without the bitterness.

Your recipe looks ok but I would just make a few changes to help you meet your goal

Eliminate the m.o. and replace it with an equal amount of 2 row. I’d also eliminate the crystal and replace it with 0.5lb of honey malt. Your making a hop forward beer so you really won’t perceive any of the mo character anyway and honey malt will add a touch of sweetness without that strong Caramel note the crystals give.

Then I’d up the magnum to .75-1oz and push all your other boil additions to a 160*f hop stand for 40 mins. This will keep your ibus near your target but help you hold on to more of the aroma and flavor compounds in your hops. Will make more a juicer beer

Last edited:
A24 is not the yeast to use if you want clear beer.

I’d suggest regular ol’ Chico or maybe 1272 if you want some more “character”.

Move all hops to WP and heavily dry hop it with juicy hops.

Why baking soda?

Seems like a waste to use MO and crystal. MO is flavorful but you probably won't taste it with 1lb of crystal in your grist. I would replace with cheaper 2-row and save it for another brew. Personally I would cut way back on the crystal if you're trying to get 'hop juiciness' to come through

Back