• We have a new forum and it needs your help! Homebrewing Deals is a forum to post whatever deals and specials you find that other homebrewers might value! Includes coupon layering, Craigslist finds, eBay finds, Amazon specials, etc.

Joe's Ancient Orange Mead

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

RPh_Guy

Bringing Sour Back
Reaction score
If you backsweeten and bottle, I recommend to stabilize (sorbate and sulfite) because the sugar addition will dilute the alcohol.

nug420ster

Reaction score
Another #3002 posts down.. This is the easiest to put together by far.. 1.5kg local wildflower honey - it was pretty wet\fresh easy to pour - added a touch of hot water to the jars shook for the rest.. I probably used a little too much oranges.. 2 smaller? oranges - cut a few more times then 8ths.. I pealed the last half orange to flesh and chucked it in.. Other then that its to spec.. Pitched some bread yeast.. Fermenting under the kitchen sink.. I expect its going to be pretty orangey the first yearish.. Hope it mellows nicely..

I saw somebody else mention you can wild ferment this - just by adding water and letting the natural yeast take over in the raw honey?

Last edited:

carguys3644

Reaction score
I just made this mead and I tried it green while I was bottling it. It was definately green but it tastes good. I will made this recipe again but I will make Elderberry Rose Hip wine next. I am trying to be healthy.

Seamonkey84

Reaction score
I shook mine. Im terrible at reading and skim read everything... Helpp
No harm done, the instructions are written to tell people they don’t need to. Once fermentation starts, you can stir or swirl the batch to degas it and help the yeast along, but not necessarily.

OriolesMagic

Reaction score
I was thinking of trying this for my first attempt at Mead. Would someone beable to quantify how much water is needed to dissolve the honey?

rlmiller10

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was thinking of trying this for my first attempt at Mead. Would someone beable to quantify how much water is needed to dissolve the honey?
Anything that would not leave way too much sugar will dissolve. If I am making a batch of any mead I weigh the honey for the desired SG and add to my pot. I then add warm water to the desired gal amount and start stirring. Once the honey is off the bottom I may add heat to help it dissolve but never let it get very hot.

It is possible to dissolve a 50/50 by volume mix of honey and water but the SG would be so high the result would be sickly sweat.

OriolesMagic

Reaction score
Anything that would not leave way too much sugar will dissolve. If I am making a batch of any mead I weigh the honey for the desired SG and add to my pot. I then add warm water to the desired gal amount and start stirring. Once the honey is off the bottom I may add heat to help it dissolve but never let it get very hot.

It is possible to dissolve a 50/50 by volume mix of honey and water but the SG would be so high the result would be sickly sweat.
So I am assuming you would suggest a less then 50/50 ratio? Since the recipe only says some warm water? If I am planning to use exatly 3.5 pounds of honey what would you suggest in terms of water?

Davedrinksbeer

Reaction score
So I am assuming you would suggest a less then 50/50 ratio? Since the recipe only says some warm water? If I am planning to use exatly 3.5 pounds of honey what would you suggest in terms of water?
When I make 5 gallons of mead I use 15 pounds of honey, I use EC 1118 yeast and ferment it out dry, after fermentation is complete I add potassium metasuphite to kill off the yeast and then back sweeten.

amber-ale

Reaction score
If this is your first attempt at a mead, why not do a SMALL volume first?

* 3.5 lbs (or a bit less) honey (warmed slightly so it . will pour)

• 1 large orange (add zested rined, mashed flesh and . juice, discard white part of peel)
  • 1 about 25 raisins
  • 1 small stick cinnamon
  • 1 whole small clove
  • 1 pinch nutmeg or allspice (very small)
  • 1 package Fleishmann’s bread yeast (I often use brewers yeast also, slightly different flavour)
  • water to 1 gallon (temperature doesn't matter)
  • few tablespoons of black tea liquid
  • in a container that is bigger than 1 gallon (it may bubble up a bit)
  • put lid on and shake to aerate, add bubbler
  • allow to ferment in a dark room temperature area for a month or two. leave it alone. ready to bottle when the fruit sinks and no more bubbles. time not crucial. just let it be
  • bottle and wait 3 months (or taste a bit once a week just to learn how it mellows)
  • should be drinkable at about 3-4 months
just remember...this is a beginner's recipe.. keep it simple

RPh_Guy

Bringing Sour Back
Reaction score
@rlmiller10 @Davedrinksbeer @amber-ale
I believe he's asking how much water is needed to make one gallon of mead.

Approximately 0.71 gallons of water (not accounting for the volume of fruit, which is unknown).

The honey will "dissolve" with less water, but it's already fluid so there's no definitive amount needed; any amount of water can be mixed with honey.

Last edited:

OriolesMagic

Reaction score
Thanks for the input everyone. I also think I was misinterpreting the original directions. When it says dissolve honey in some warm water I am now reading it as a warm water bath and not dissolving honey with water over a stove

skdoege

Reaction score
Wow, first attempt and made one gallon original recipe and one gallon with frozen wild blue berries from Walmart added. The blueberry recipe was AMAZING and drinkable on first day of bottling! Not sure of abv but it seemed stronger than my wine kits and would guess 14-15%? Will let the original recipe age in bottles a few months. Did a second batch today with dark sweet cherries added as an additional ingredient and used blood oranges instead of the naval. This turned out so well I don’t even want to try the more complicated non beginner recipes!

OriolesMagic

Reaction score
So after two months it was a bit cloudy, but bottled anyways. Any suggestions for the future? I added carbonation tablets to it so we will see if it carbs.

BudNini

Reaction score

rlmiller10 , you say that you weigh the honey for the desired SG..
can you or anyone please explain how to go about this..
Is there a formula I can use?
Thank you

Blacksmith1

Captain Cheap
Reaction score
Did you crush the blueberries prior to adding them or just add them whole?
I would freeze, thaw, then crush. Add some pectic enzyme and let sit a day or two, then add.
So after two months it was a bit cloudy, but bottled anyways. Any suggestions for the future? I added carbonation tablets to it so we will see if it carbs.
for the future let it sit till it's clear. Then bottle.

rlmiller10

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
rlmiller10 , you say that you weigh the honey for the desired SG..
can you or anyone please explain how to go about this..
Is there a formula I can use?
Thank you
Sorry for the delay in answering. We have been moving so getting to HBT has been lagging.

Anyhow, I use 33 points per lb. Might be a little more, might be a little less but it is a good approximation. Then the formula lb = (desired volume X desired SG in points)/33 Example for a 5 gal batch with a target SG of 1.090

# = (5 X 90)/33 = 13.6 lb

BudNini

Reaction score
Sorry for the delay in answering. We have been moving so getting to HBT has been lagging.

Anyhow, I use 33 points per lb. Might be a little more, might be a little less but it is a good approximation. Then the formula lb = (desired volume X desired SG in points)/33 Example for a 5 gal batch with a target SG of 1.090

# = (5 X 90)/33 = 13.6 lb
Thank you,this helps alot