J. Wakefield OG's Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
JWB, the poster child of consistency

uSG6Wvch.jpg
This could end up being like baseball cards or stamps with the upside-down error being worth a lot of money. Perhaps it may even be valued at $50 some day.

tfm_avatar_118857_1487823340.jpg

You're welcome.

Love,

JW

Whew, I made it! Now, to be fair, I was only reading every fifth page up until about 110, at which point things became more temporally relevant.

Let me start by saying, thank you Grumpy; thank you.

This is exactly what I was telling my friend who split the membership with me. But then he had to move to CA for work, and suggested I buy him out because it would be simpler than figuring out how/when to split the beers. Little did I know, we had all the time in the world to sort out those minor details. To this day, he still mocks me for my stupidity :(

This exact thing happened to me in early June. I was visiting the Keys with my fiancee's family, and she and I stopped in on the way back to the airport. While I was able to get a second leaky bottle of DFPF, I was told in no uncertain terms that OGs do not get discounts at the tasting room. I tried to mention that I was pretty sure that I remembered something along these lines... "trust me" and the bartender walking away was what I got.

At the same time, he went over to talk to the only other patron at the bar, and was explaining how they hold stuff back so that they can maintain hype around their beers. Not that this is at all surprising in view of this delight of a thread, but I found it amusing. Sent this message, verbatim, to a friend: "Homies at JWB straight admitting they hold back stuff so that it doesn't lose its allure. Classic."

See above, it's a ploy! (I know, we all know at this point, we all know)

I guess in the end, it sucks to be on the receiving end of a business owner who thinks there is nothing wrong with delivering the bare minimum to the people who helped them off the ground. While at the same time making better stuff available to the public (or the same stuff, for far less money). And doing literally the bare minimum ("I filled my friends growler last night from my kegerator at home, and he's an OG, therefore I have provided one of the promised surprises") to avoid actually being a liar (fwiw, I still think he lied to us, not that it means much at this point).

But it's not all doom and gloom. In fact, I've now paid $50/bottle for a Berliner (I never got my glass and the shirt is worthless, so... $50), something I literally never thought I would be able to claim. Prior to this, I would have scoffed at paying that same $50 for Fou' Foune. But now -- and this is thanks to you JW! -- I understand that paying $150 for Fou' is totally reasonable. And that $750 for 12oz. of flyover adjunct stout is actually a bargain. In short, without JWB's guidance, I would not have undergone this metamorphosis to newmoney shitlord, and could not be happier.

THANKS JWB.

Last edited:
The O.G. society is done, and I think we've kicked every square inch of this horse's dead carcass, so I'm going to close the thread at this point. I'll reopen it if any O.G.-related stuff happens (you never know). Barring that, a general brewery thread will make more sense going forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back