It's Friday...who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Note to RC:
Have you tried to contact AHS? I'm not a customer of Forrest, but I can't imagine him not making every effort to correct their error.
Yup and he is shipping me the missing ingredients. I placed the order Friday and got it Thursday (not bad and I planed for that; just in time to brew this weekend) but all 3 beers I ordered had the same ingredient so I cant brew any of them :mad:

Its cool I hear really good things about Brewmasters Warehouse :rockin:

I'm not brewing this weekend, but I am bottling my 8-8-8 RIS that I let sit on oak for a couple of weeks.

I did pork and beef ribs on the smoker and I brewed up an IPA

07. India Pale Ale, India Pale Ale All-grain
Stats
OG 1.067
FG 1.017
IBU 78
ABV 6.5 %
SRM 9

Specifics
Boil Volume 7 gallons
Batch Size 5.25 gallons
Yeast 75% AA

Style Comparison
Low High
OG 1.050 1.067 1.075
FG 1.012 1.017 1.016
IBU 40 78 60+
SRM 8 9 14
ABV 5 6.5 7.8

Fermentables
% Weight Weight (lbs) Grain Gravity Points Color
79.2 % 9.50 American Two-row Pale 53.6 3.3
16.7 % 2.00 German Munich 11.3 3.0
2.1 % 0.25 British Crystal 135-165L 1.3 7.1
2.1 % 0.25 CaraPils 1.3 0.1
12.00 67.4

Hops
% Wt Weight (oz) Hop Form AA% AAU Boil Time Utilization IBU
13.6 % 0.75 Galena Pellet 11.7 8.8 FWH 0.153 19.2
13.6 % 0.75 Galena Pellet 11.7 8.8 60 0.253 31.7
18.2 % 1.00 Horizon Pellet 12.5 12.5 15 0.126 22.4
18.2 % 1.00 Cascade Pellet 6.6 6.6 5 0.050 4.8
18.2 % 1.00 Cascade Pellet 6.6 6.6 0 0.000 0.0
18.2 % 1.00 Cascade Pellet 6.6 6.6 DH 0.000 0.0
5.50 78.0

All in all a damn good day

If this turns out as good as last time I'll put it in my recipes

Oooh, what's the Tudor Hopped Beere? Sounds interesting!

Basically, it's a archetypical hopped beer ca. 1550. See the King Henry VII Sengyll Beere in my drop-down for one of the redactions from which I drew the archetypes.

Coal Porter is boiling now...yummy...

:D

Bob

Coal Porter

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 5.50 Wort Size (Gal): 3.00
Total Extract (Lbs): 7.50
Anticipated OG: 1.046 Plato: 11.40
Anticipated SRM: 29.3
Anticipated IBU: 30.6
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
80.0 6.00 lbs. Briess LME- Gold America 1.035 4
3.3 0.25 lbs. Black Patent Malt Great Britain 1.027 525
6.7 0.50 lbs. Crystal 55L Great Britian 1.034 55
6.7 0.50 lbs. Chocolate Malt Great Britain 1.034 475
3.3 0.25 lbs. Brown Sugar Generic 1.046 4

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.00 oz. Amarillo Gold Pellet 8.00 30.6 60 min.
1.00 oz. Willamette Pellet 5.00 0.0 0 min.

Extras

Amount Name Type Time
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.00 Tsp Whirlfloc Other 15 Min.(boil)
1.00 Tsp Yeastex Other 15 Min.(boil)

Yeast
-----

DCL Yeast US-05 SafAle US Ale

This is the scaled-down version of the Coal Porter I brewed at Black Rock Microbrewery & Restaurant in Wilkes-Barre, PA. An old standby, it never fails to please me. The only changes I made were:

- Sub Briess Gold LME for Briess 2-row Brewer's Malt
- the bittering hops variety, which originally was Willamette; I had an ounce of Amarillo in the freezer and decided to use it up.
- add a bit of brown sugar just for yuks.

Basically, it's a archetypical hopped beer ca. 1550. See the King Henry VII Sengyll Beere in my drop-down for one of the redactions from which I drew the archetypes.

Coal Porter is boiling now...yummy...

:D

Bob
:off:

Hey Bob. With the Steel Cut oats and the Raw Wheat, do you need to do a cereal mash?

I'll be kegging my IPA's tomorrow, then playing golf, then helping my friends empty their bar to make room for a kid, waking up in my clothes somewhere and brewing 10 gallons of pale ale.:rockin:

SWMBO's out of town.:cross: It's going to be a fun weekend.

:off:

Hey Bob. With the Steel Cut oats and the Raw Wheat, do you need to do a cereal mash?

This one is using Fawcett's oat malt and Weyermann dark wheat malt. I've come upon a lot of evidence indicating non-barley grains intended for brewing were in fact malted.

I really ought to update that recipe page. I've learnt that some of the reasoning is so faulty as to be laughable. ;) Keep an eye on that space. An update will be coming soon.

That said, if you choose to follow the original it won't be a bad beer at all; Lord knows I've brewed enough of it. And to answer your question, yes, you need to boil the oats and wheat (cereal mash).

Cheers, and thanks for asking!

Bob

+1 on Brewmaster's Warehouse. Placed my order Weds. and it showed up today by noon (paid for the 2-day ground).

Boiling plain water in my 40-qt Aluminum kettle to get it ready for tomorrow. Doing a porter and EdWort's HausPale. WOOT!!!!

Yup...doing a pale ale this weekend to go with the porter and mandarin hefeweizen in the garage. God I love brewing... I'm also going to try and get most of my fermentation chamber built as well (I scored some free 2" rigid blue board foam from work for free)

Just bottled 2 batches. Jackals Revenge, Easy E's Easy Drinking Cream Ale.
Me and SWMBO are brewing an IPA and a blonde ale before midnight.
Hard Cider is cold-crashing outside to be kegged in the morning.

Bottled my juniper-chamomile witbier today, and will brew a Koelsch on Monday to celebrate Rosenmontag, the peak of the Cologne Karneval season.

That said, if you choose to follow the original it won't be a bad beer at all; Lord knows I've brewed enough of it. And to answer your question, yes, you need to boil the oats and wheat (cereal mash).

Cheers, and thanks for asking!

Bob

Well, I knew that I'm supposed to do a cereal mash when using those grains today but I didn't know if there was a historical reason why it didn't say to in the recipe. Just making sure. :)

Sunday, I will be kegging an Imperial Stout (club brew that we will be adding to an oak cask next month), kegging an Apfelwein (still have most of a keg in the fridge), moving a Category 23 special red to secondary, and brewing a Raspberry Wheat for SWMBO. Can't wait!

Racked BORIS clone to secondary last night. Made yeast starter for IIPA that will be brewed on Sunday.

my paulaner style hefeweizen is almost ready to bottle (krausen just fell today) but i think i'm gonna hold off. So instead of bottling tomorrow i think i will brew Yooper's DFH 60min. IPA and i can't wait.

I feel confident enough that i can actually try my hand at one of my favorite styles. Also, my GF's dad is the one who got me into the hobby and I've been nervous since she told me he wants to compare his IPA to mine.

Just finished the Dubbel. Hit 1076 on the nose.

Note to self: When cooking sugar and citric acid to make invert sugar...do not add water to boiling mixture. That **** bout jumped out of the pot and slathered my beautiful puss.

SWMBO is away for the weekend. Going to do two.

Have been planning on a Cream Ale for ages (the BOS from the GABF) but I've been having this recuring taste memory of SNPA and dry hopped Cascades, that I can't shake for the past two days so SNPA it is.

Number two has been Arrogant Bastard for some time.

Next in the rotation is a British IPA. The Cream Ale might have to wait till summer.

Rudeboy

Jeezus, you start early. I just finished brewing myself. Mashed some Costa Rican free trade organic in a French press. :D

And let this be a lesson to n00bs - never let it be said that experienced brewers don't sometimes goof up. Last night, brewed Coal Porter (read up the thread for the recipe). Boil is over, chilling commenced. Got rather late, I'd been up since 0530, and went to bed 0230 Thursday night. Screw it, I'm tired. Knock out into the bucket, pitched the yeast, then felt the side of the fermenter.

Uh, oh.

Peeked this AM. Guess who's running to Keystone Homebrew shortly for another packet of US-05?

Moral: Never get lazy, never get lax. Something will go wrong.

Bob

Brewing a Nut Bown Ale, and American Light to please SWMBO. All while building the racks in my bare fridge she told be to buy for my fermenters!

Up at 6, doughed in at 7. I rulez.

Now, I'm having my cuppa. :D

I haven't even crushed my grain yet! But, it's Saturday, and I worked hard this week. When I'm working part time (usual for me), Wednesday is my brewday, and I mash in at 7:30. This working full time is totally interfering with my brewing! I think I'll make cheese tomorrow, something soft and quick like mozzarella. I have to rack an IPA, too.

Just one more cup of coffee and I'm on it!

Half way through my sacch rest, pulling the first runnings at 8.

Somebody's been lying to you. :D

Whaaaatttt????

500338403409PIC_really_ugly_face.jpg

I watched Flyangler18 brew while having my coffee. Now doing my mild brown, then blonde ale right after. Hope to be done by 2, for a nap.

I brewed for my 2nd time yesterday, Brown Ale. By the time I was done and pulled a sample I was feeling no pain and on cloud 9. Everything went almost as planned. As good as it could get. OG was on the money and the sample tasted unbelievable. My first batch (Simcoe IPA) is in the secondary now and will most likely bottle next weekend. Took a sample of that and it is starting to taste much better and hydrometer readings have not changed since I transfered.

I was going to wait to see if I enjoyed the end result before I buy anymore but, I'm having such a good time doing it, I'm planning round three. :rockin:

Finished up at about 4 yesterday brewing my retuned APA. This is the first time I've tried using the 15gal food grade plastic barrel I bought a year ago as a fermenter. The barrel still smelled a bit like Dr. Pepper syrup after soaking, hopefully it doesn't give an off flavor to my beer, although maybe Dr. Pepper goes well with Centennial.

Pic of decoction grain at end of 40 min. boil vs. regular mash grain before I added it back in. Sacc resting @ 150oF now. This is the Dubbel.:rockin:

DecoctionVsMashGrain.jpg

Latest posts

Back