Is this trub or yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
[QUOTE="Fill with (boiled off water... why? They say it takes out the o2. but if it did would I not be left with H instead of h2o...?).[/QUOTE]

Boiling does not split the oxygen from hydrogen, those are held together by tight ionic bonds. What it does is drive off dissolved o2. Dissolved o2 can react with other chemicals where as water is relatively inert.

[QUOTE="Fill with (boiled off water... why? They say it takes out the o2. but if it did would I not be left with H instead of h2o...?).

Boiling does not split the oxygen from hydrogen, those are held together by tight ionic bonds. What it does is drive off dissolved o2. Dissolved o2 can react with other chemicals where as water is relatively inert.[/QUOTE]
Thank you

Yes. After the primary ferment, I rack off the beer, then pour the trub into one or two 1/2 gal Mason jars. Add enough cold water to top up the jars, then stir well, then allow to settle for about 15 or 20 mins. Most of the hops will settle out in this time. Then pour off the milky liquid, leaving the hops behind. The milky liquid goes into one quart Mason jars, filling each one about halfway.
You can take those jars and top up with cold water, stir, allow to settle for about an hour. At this point, you should have a layer of clean yeast in the bottom of the jar (a white layer). If it still looks a bit nasty, repeat. Once you have your kitchen looking like a meth lab, you let it final settle for about an hour. Then pour off most of the liquid and toss it. Pour the resultant yeast slurry all in one clean jar, cap it and refrigerate.
P.S. leave a little liquid on top of the yeast.
You should get enough yeast to pitch another 5 gallon batch. If you do this several times, with similar worts, the yeast will begin to mutate to adapt to their environment. That can be a good thing, or not. Only taste will tell. This is one way of creating your own strain of yeast, adapted to your beer recipe.
Can you tell me how long you let ur beer stay in the carif after you rack it, I'm John

Latest posts

Back