Is straining bad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RyanJE

Reaction score
I strained myn wort as I poured it into the primary to get all of the trub out. Was that a bad idea? I read it in how to brew.

Thats the answer I was hoping for!

My airlock was bubbling rapidly the first 24 hours after i poured it into the primary. now its not bubbling at all(or at least very rarely). Is that normal, will it pick back up?

RyanJE said:

My airlock was bubbling rapidly the first 24 hours after i poured it into the primary. now its not bubbling at all(or at least very rarely). Is that normal, will it pick back up?

It's normal and it probably won't pick back up, unless you had a drop in temperature in the area your fermenter is located. 24 hour full fermentations are not all that uncommon.

RyanJE said:

Give it another 2 - 4 days check the gravity and you'll probably find it's done.:ban:

Another good answer!

So can i drink it now if it is done, HAHA.

RyanJE said:

Did you use dry yeast? That's when I've usually noticed those overnight fermentations. I'd let it sit for a while so the yeast can clean up after itself, at least a week, but if you're hungry for your brew, as long as it's not still slowly fermenting (thus giving you a risk for bottle bombs), it's not going to kill you to bottle it on up!

Actually there is no pressure in the airlock right now because the cap has rested back down is it normal to have zero fermentation at this point (48 hours). Im gonna wait the full week before racking to the secondary.

RyanJE said:
Actually there is no pressure in the airlock right now because the cap has rested back down is it normal to have zero fermentation at this point (48 hours). Im gonna wait the full week before racking to the secondary.

Like Orpheus said, as long has there wasn't a dramatic change in temperature where you had it stored, in which case the yeast may have gone dormant, it is most likely done. The last two batches I brewed using dry yeast fermented similar to the way you have described yours and everything was fine.

good stuff, i did use the dry yeast i forgot to responds to that and it was probably the most useful piece of info.

Back