Cocoa Nibs and Vanilla in Alc.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mggray87

Reaction score
After soaking these in the liquor of choice? always strain to pour in unitank? or dump all the contents ( chopped up Vanilla bean and nibs that have been soaking? i am imagining just dump it all in my unitank via dry hopper since it will be under some pressure....

I always dump the entirety of my dark rum marinated nibs 'n' beans in a fresh carboy and rack the stout on top. I'd do the same with your dry hopper if you can fit it all...

Cheers!

I always dump the entirety of my dark rum marinated nibs 'n' beans in a fresh carboy and rack the stout on top...

Cheers!
you are the most active brewer on here. your like a gopher! popping up everywhere! ahaha and all this info and questions is all because of you. I never been excited to try to sip on a stout.. let alone make one... im pumped... LOL watching videos on nitro LOL

Yep, dump it all in. Otherwise, what else can you dump in and not waste most of it? Stouts are my favorite beers, from Dry up to RIS. They have so much flavor and diversity without being cloying and filling.

Yep, dump it all in. Otherwise, what else can you dump in and not waste most of it? Stouts are my favorite beers, from Dry up to RIS. They have so much flavor and diversity without being cloying and filling.
i never got into dark beers... i tried em, a few not for me. but @day_trippr has me pumped to try his gem. So stout faucet he found for me and nitrogen picked up LOL... I even stopped and got a 4 pack of guinness to try.. and I drank half and said nope.. cant do it LOL.

That being said im very excited and interested in brewing this chocolate imperial stout by Day Trippr. all ingredients are ordered. I may even roast nibs and start the dark rum soak early and have it going for 2 weeks LOLOL

Uh oh! I'm just missing a dark rum. Don't have any on hand. Gotta go to the store and find a good one 😂
PXL_20231228_205318976.MP.jpg

For a imperial stout like this. In beersmith. Should I use stout water profile or the black full profile? If I had to guess. Black full??

For a imperial stout like this. In beersmith. Should I use stout water profile or the black full profile? If I had to guess. Black full??

For an Imperial Stout, I kind of guarantee you wouldn't tell the difference between the two. Go with whatever is easiest to hit. Just keep the pH in mind, it'll tend to run low with all the dark grain. Another reason not to add too many "salts" other than some baking soda perhaps.

For an Imperial Stout, I kind of guarantee you wouldn't tell the difference between the two. Go with whatever is easiest to hit. Just keep the pH in mind, it'll tend to run low with all the dark grain. Another reason not to add too many "salts" other than some baking soda perhaps.
With beersmith and using RO. Says mash 5.68 with the black full profile.

Interesting. What does your grain bill look like?
Per Bru'n Water my imperial stout mash pH would be around 5.14 given the 9% black, chocolate and roasted barleys.

One way around that is to hold back the black stuff until the mash is basically saccharified already - which could be halfway through a one hour mash according to some of the assays I've done over the years (conversion can be that quick!)...

Cheers!

Interesting. What does your grain bill look like?
Per Bru'n Water my imperial stout mash pH would be around 5.14 given the 9% black, chocolate and roasted barleys.

One way around that is to hold back the black stuff until
Screenshot_20231230-223552.png
the mash is basically saccharified already - which could be halfway through a one hour mash according to some of the assays I've done over the years (conversion can be that quick!)...

Cheers!
Here. This is scaled at 74% eff. And for finish boil batch of 7.25g

BIAB. 10.26g total water
Screenshot_20231230-223531.png

My sheet shows an SRM estimate based on the SRM to Lovibond conversion for the malts. I would trust that calculation as well as the estimated mash pH.

The easiest thing to do is hold back the roasts for 30 minutes on a 60 minute mash...

Cheers!

Last edited:
My sheet shows an SRM estimate of 37 based on the SRM to Lovibond conversion for the malts. I would trust that calculation as well as the estimated mash pH.

The easiest thing to do is hold back the roasts for 30 minutes on a 60 minute mash...

Cheers!
How come my bru n water says 5.17??

Any idea?
Just trying to learn here and fix any errors on my end.

Arrgh! My apologies, I thought I had zeroed out all of the salt and acid additions on my sheet but I just checked again...and nope, I left them in.
After definitely zeroing them all out - and using Black Full for the water - I actually get 5.27 for the mash pH - without any additions.

1704051795617.png

Arrgh! My apologies, I thought I had zeroed out all of the salt and acid additions on my sheet but I just checked again...and nope, I left them in.
After definitely zeroing them all out - and using Black Full for the water - I actually get 5.27 for the mash pH - without any additions.

View attachment 837853
I just ran my ro unit. And getting fresh to water and the oh is 5.83 coming out. Not 7. But even changing that. My grain matching yours. And my salts 0. I'm getting 5.35. So it's close but there is something off still
PXL_20231231_194952598.MP.jpg

I had a higher Total Batch Volume and had the Percent Dilution Water set to 0 (not sure why yours is 100%)
In any case if I duplicate your water adjustment page I get the same 5.35 pH.

Cheers!

I had a higher Total Batch Volume and had the Percent Dilution Water set to 0 (not sure why yours is 100%)
In any case if I duplicate your water adjustment page I get the same 5.35 pH.

Cheers!
Well maybe I set it up wrong. I thought I read in instructions if using RO and biab set it to 100%. No sparging.. total volume in mash? I'll have to reread to see what it means
PXL_20231231_200114124.jpg

Making changes to salts. I get a mash oh of 5.48 black full. If I did it right. I never used this before. Just usually trust beersmith but BS black full has ph adjusted to 5.68 which sounds super high.

PXL_20231231_201852578.jpg

Last edited:
Outstanding! Good job! :mug:
Beer Smith doesn't even show magnesium or picking lime. I'm def not using BS for my mashes anymore!

Is the goal to be in same PH for all beers during a mash. 5.4-5.5? I learn something new. I'm such a rook!

Can't wait to smell this chocolate stout brewing. Mouth is watering

People tend to go more 5.3 for NEIPA and 5.5 for porters / stouts, but I'd also agree anything around there is going to be fine.

pH of RO was mentioned earlier, and I've learned over time it's not very important. It's not until water actually has somethign in it that pH means something, or at least, becomes important at all.

So I got my hands on some dark rum. Zacapa no. 23 and Appleton 12yr. Thats my options. I have access to. Otherwise I gotta go buy a bottle somewhere.

Did a test run on the nibs a small amount 300* for 12 min not sure if it's overdone or under. But I tasted and man these are bitter lol. I thought I was eating chocolate pieces lol. Shows you how much I know. Clearly don't know what cocoa nibs are lol!
Is this what they should look like??PXL_20240103_042800295.MP.jpg

Last edited:
I think I ran mine around 250, and covered them with foil. I actually used a toaster oven and pulled them out the moment I could smell them. Was a lot like brownies.

Nib brand may be important, I used Navitas from Amazon. I've tried 3 different kinds and they are my preference, I just go back to them now.

Back