Is Lutra Kveik Slower to Bottle Conditioning?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhgodzilla

Reaction score
Gents, is Lutra Kveik slower to bottle carb than othef yeasts? Most of my bottled brews actually are drinkable after about a week, better in 2 weeks. I’ve bottled Ales, Browns, Kolsch and Hefe. I just tried my Lutra Kveik Pseudo Pils after about 5-6 days and it was not even close. I expected that after such a hearty ferment that bottling would also proceed quickly. I see some suspended yeast, young Kolschy look, so it’s likely not hyper flocculated. House was about 68-70 all week, primed with 4-5oz of boiled corn sugar stirred into the fermenter.

Gents, carbonation is doing much better after 2 weeks, including a few days on the seedling warming mat. I tried a sample on day 14 that I refrigerated at about day 12 and it’s much better. I think it will get a bit more carbed and clear. I’m happy with this beer and learned that Lutra does need some warmer conditioning and ample time.
F21CF823-0E46-412C-A786-BDAF4118BC8C.jpeg

I had the same problem with Voss. Seemed to take forever to carb in the house. The second time I used it, it was in a wheat extract beer. After minimal carb and 2-3 weeks inside, I packed it in a box (to protect from light) and sat 2 six packs outside where we had 80-85 degree weather. Great carb after 5-6 days. The remainder that was left inside did finally fizz up, but not quite as much as the ones from outside.

I will be brewing this weekend and using Lutra, so will see what happens when I bottle in a 2-3 weeks.

Great Video. I came across that bottling yeast online at Northern Brewer a few weeks ago and picked some up. I have always worried about what yeast I will have left in suspension after a 3 or 4 week secondary. I especially worried about Kveik just as described in the video.

Brew this weekend is an extract MaiBock and I am going to use Lutra for a pseudo-lager. I have a place to age it, although it is only at about 70 deg and I will do a 2 week primary and then decide if I need another 2 in the seconary. So with the bottling yeast, I should be safe.

Thanks

I recently made a batch with lutra and it was carbonated after a week at 78-ish degree room.

Latest posts

Back