Is it safe to age bottles with high pectin haze?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgrabstein

Reaction score
I totally forgot pectin enzyme in my cherry-mango mead on brew day. It's been a while since I brewed a fruit mead and I forgot and that's that. I attenuated and filtered with a 1-micron filter and bottled for my cellar.

This mead is the cloudiest brew I've ever seen. It turns out mango is super high in pectin. I used frozen mango chunks pureed. It's bottled and sitting in my cellar at stable temps of about 60F.

QUESTION: What happens when I age a high pectin mead? Will they blow up?

I'm worried about the pectin breaking down into sugar and creating bottle bombs.

Info: 12% ABV, slightly sweet mead, cold crashed and cold filtered at 1 micron

Thanks,
Danny G

Did you stabilize it or has the brew reached the yeasts alcohol tolerance? If not, I wouldn’t worry about the pectin as much as the residual sugar.

I wouldn't worry about it too much- except that my brain keeps thinking that a pectin haze impacts stability. I wouldn't have bottled it, until after cold stabilization. You can try to keep it cold now in the bottle, and see what happens.

Thanks for the replies, I fermented to the point of the yeasts tolerance (White labs sweet mead yeast), cold crashed, AND cold filtered with 1 micron filter.

Even after that, it's so dang murky it makes me a little uncomfortable thinking that they might not be stable long term.

Here's a pic of a clear swingtop I filled up. Can't even see through it at all.

Danny G
IMG_4517.JPG

Ah, so that's what a pectin haze looks like. Guess I really do need to use pectic enzyme when I make my cranberry juice based meads. Not that it seems to impact the flavor.

just means more sediment with longer aging. you say it's still semi-sweet anyway, so if sugars were going to ferment, it'd be those.

so how sure are you than the yeast has gone all the way? did you stabilize?

Latest posts

Back