Is it safe to age bottles with high pectin haze?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgrabstein

Reaction score
I totally forgot pectin enzyme in my cherry-mango mead on brew day. It's been a while since I brewed a fruit mead and I forgot and that's that. I attenuated and filtered with a 1-micron filter and bottled for my cellar.

This mead is the cloudiest brew I've ever seen. It turns out mango is super high in pectin. I used frozen mango chunks pureed. It's bottled and sitting in my cellar at stable temps of about 60F.

QUESTION: What happens when I age a high pectin mead? Will they blow up?

I'm worried about the pectin breaking down into sugar and creating bottle bombs.

Info: 12% ABV, slightly sweet mead, cold crashed and cold filtered at 1 micron

Thanks,
Danny G

Did you stabilize it or has the brew reached the yeasts alcohol tolerance? If not, I wouldn’t worry about the pectin as much as the residual sugar.

I wouldn't worry about it too much- except that my brain keeps thinking that a pectin haze impacts stability. I wouldn't have bottled it, until after cold stabilization. You can try to keep it cold now in the bottle, and see what happens.

Thanks for the replies, I fermented to the point of the yeasts tolerance (White labs sweet mead yeast), cold crashed, AND cold filtered with 1 micron filter.

Even after that, it's so dang murky it makes me a little uncomfortable thinking that they might not be stable long term.

Here's a pic of a clear swingtop I filled up. Can't even see through it at all.

Danny G
IMG_4517.JPG

Ah, so that's what a pectin haze looks like. Guess I really do need to use pectic enzyme when I make my cranberry juice based meads. Not that it seems to impact the flavor.

just means more sediment with longer aging. you say it's still semi-sweet anyway, so if sugars were going to ferment, it'd be those.

so how sure are you than the yeast has gone all the way? did you stabilize?

Back