is an extract Weihenstephan Hefe-Weissbier clone possible?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Labguy64

Reaction score
I would really like to try a extract/specialty grain Weihenstephan Hefe-Weissbier clone recipe. I have been searching with no luck. is a clone possible without AG?

I don't see it being anything more then wheat extract (which normally is already cut with barley), German Noble hop for bittering and Bavarian Hefe yeast.

I want to say it was the brewer from Weihenstephaner that said their grain bill was 2/3 wheat, 1/3 barley.

I don't see it being anything more then wheat extract (which normally is already cut with barley), German Noble hop for bittering and Bavarian Hefe yeast.
I saw this
Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier 2.5 gallon boil / 60 minutes
6 lb. Muntons Wheat DME
1 oz. German Hallertau Hersbrucker @ 4.5%AA
Wyeast 3068 Weihenstephan Weizen
This looks too easy to duplicate such a great beer. Is the trick in the process?
I saw a few AG recipes that seemed very complicated with several rest stages to produce specific phenols.

I want to say it was the brewer from Weihenstephaner that said their grain bill was 2/3 wheat, 1/3 barley.
I really appreciate your input.

I think you can get in the ball park with an extract but don't expect anything more. For one all the wheat extracts contain wheat of course but is blended with run of the mill two row or pale malt. The barley needs to be Pils for a traditional Bavarian wheat. There also seems to be an inconsistency among manufactures on how much wheat they use in their extract.

If you just want an extract brew, yea it's really that easy. To really tweak it I'd say you'd have to go all grain.

This is the exract clone recipe for Weihenstephan Hefe:

4.25 Pale Liquid Extract
3.75 Wheat Liquid Extract
1.00 oz. Hallertau @ 60 min
White Labs WLP300

I'd skip any pale liquid extract. Unless you find 100% wheat extract, they usually are a blend. If you shop around, you might be able to find a brand that is a mix of wheat and pils.

Also, I really like using 3068 lower in the 63-65 range. The hefewiezen rule of thumb is that your pitching temp and your fermentation temp should add up to 30 (in celsius). I find cooler temps make for a much more balanced beer. That is unless you want a bananna bomb.

This is what I ended up with
Fat Heffe #2 Style: Weizen/Weissbier
Type: Extract Size: 5 gallons
Color:
3 HCU (~3 SRM)
Bitterness: 14 IBU
OG: 1.051 FG: 1.016
Alcohol: 4.6% v/v (3.6% w/w)
Grain: 1 lb. American 2-row
.5 lb. Flaked wheat
Steep: Steep specialty grains for 45 minutes at 160°
Boil: 60 minutes SG 1.086 3 gallons
6 lb. Wheat extract
Bring wart to a boil add .9oz. Hallertauer Hersbrucker hops. At 30 min add 6# Wheat DME. At 15 min. remaining add .25oz hops.
Hops: .9 oz. Hallertauer Hersbrucker (5% AA, 60 min.)
.25 oz. Hallertauer Hersbrucker (5% AA, 15 min.)
Yeast: Wyeast 3068 Weinhenstephan smack-pac
Log: Brew date:
Ferment Temp.:7 days @ 75F
secondary Date:
Bottling Date:
Carbonation: 4.0 volumes Corn Sugar: 8.42 oz. for 5 gallons @ 68°F

OK, got the basic process, thanks.
Any tips?
Is it better to wait and dissolve at 150 like a mash, or does simply adding extract at "remove the pot from the heat" work well?
Using DME for this extract Weihenstephan Hefe-Weissbier clone, and just looking for tips from the experienced.
Thanks.

BTW PinkFloyd4Ever, ho'd your Hefe turn out? https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=525139

OK, got the basic process, thanks.
Any tips?
Is it better to wait and dissolve at 150 like a mash, or does simply adding extract at "remove the pot from the heat" work well?
Using DME for this extract Weihenstephan Hefe-Weissbier clone, and just looking for tips from the experienced.
Thanks.

BTW PinkFloyd4Ever, ho'd your Hefe turn out? https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=525139

If you are steeping specialty grains, I recommend the following:

1) Steep grains at 155°F
2) Drain and transfer/top off water to starting boil volume
3) Begin heating water
4) Begin slowly adding DME, taking care to break up & dissolve clumps

This process should get all of your DME added prior to reaching boil. This is important if you have a 60 minute boil and a 60 minute hop addition.

For this beer though it's easy to do with only extract-no specialty grains, and since it's extract and a bavarian hefe only has 10-15 IBU, you can do it with a 15-30 minute boil (depending on how concerned you are about having a little noble hop flavor). I'd recommend listening to this http://thebrewingnetwork.com/shows/1026 One of the BN brewcasters brewed Bavarian Hefes for competition with extract and a 30m boil.

Just get a Wheat DME that's at least 50% wheat (the rest will be either pils or pale), enough Hallertau or other German noble hop for 10-15 IBU, and Wyeast 3068 or White Labs WLP300 (2 pks or make a starter for a 5gal batch). Ferment at 62F

Bring your water to a boil, then turn off the heat while you add the extract, making sure it's completely dissolved before turning the heat back on.

I'll let you know how mine turned out in a few weeks. I've been wanting to bottle for a week but I've been very busy helping my pack-rat dad get ready to move from the 3-story house he's lived in for 40 years... so my batch is still in the fermenter. I think I'll be able to bottle it next weekend finally.

Back