IPA wheat/oat grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robbeh

Reaction score
I’m a really big fan of these extra pale IPAs with a tropical fruit focus.

Most I enjoy list their ingredients and I noticed a lot use wheat and oats. My question is, what would be a basic grain bill to start with? I imagine the base grain is 2 row and oat and wheat playing compliment.

Can anyone point me in the right direction of making an IPA with those grains? I’m going to use Mosaic/Citra/Galaxy hops with it but I’m more interested in the grain bill to start.

I’ll probably use S04 or S05 yeast to go with it.

Thanks for all the help!
Robb

You could do something like 10lbs 2 row, 2lbs each of wheat and oats and see how it turns out. I've done very dry, hoppy pales with 05 and a couple pounds of oats which turned out decent. I've never made a beer with wheat yet that I really liked. ymmv

I have been using 75% 2-row, 20% wheat and 5% oat with very good results.

Everything you want to go with is pretty well spot on. (I would start with US-05 though)

Are you wanting a typical IPA that tends to be clear or hazy with a pronounced bitterness, or a NEIPA that tends to be soft in flavor, very murky, and juicy?

Are you wanting a typical IPA that tends to be clear or hazy with a pronounced bitterness, or a NEIPA that tends to be soft in flavor, very murky, and juicy?

They both sound delicious but with this particular recipe I’m trying to get that murky juicy style IPA, easy drinking with tropical notes.

I've whipped up about 5 batches this year of IPA's Oats- Instant type. Wheat- Malted is good for Gravity but not necessary for head.
Recipe Size?
5 Gal
.75# oats
.75# Wheat
Steep good and slow
pull oats at 150º and Grain at 168º
1 oz Chinook Pre-Boil
5lbs of DME Boil 60 min
.5oz N .Brewer 30 min
1 oz Cascade 20 min
Late add 2.5lbs DME
1 oz N.Brewer 15 min- 1tsp Irish Moss
1 oz Chinook 10 min
.5 oz N.Brewer 3 min

Dry Pitch after 5 days 1 oz German Perle in Primary Put it in a stocking to avoid debris (Option Grapefruit dried skin .3 oz) wait another 5 days, check FG and Bottle pending on ambient temp of ferment (mine starts at 80º for the first day and drops a degree or two over the course of 5 days to about 75º) 4.5oz sugar to bottle. I like a well carbed IPA. My ambient is hotter here in the South.

Yeast SAF05 being dryer and a bit more tolerant to summer temps.

I have a show stopper here about ready to bottle.
switched the Wheat, to Malted Crystal Rye, Hop Choices were Cascade, N,Brewer, Chinook, & Perle and the dry hop was complimented with a 1/3 oz of dried grapefruit skin minus the pith. Prob a 5.5%

Back