IPA-internal debate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ale_mongrel

Reaction score
This isnt really a question, but more of a thought out loud to see what someone who feels like responding thinks. I brewed an AHS Falconer's Flight IPA last weekend, now according to the directions, I should be moving it to the secondary fermentor today or tomorrow. (7 days later) Now, I have read that recipies with kits rush things, and I have also read that IPA's do much better the longer you wait (for what seems almost lager-ish time frames) so, Im about 9/10ths convinced I should leave my beer alone for another 2 weeks or so and probly should wait a little longer. What do you think?

Whether you want to use a secondary or not is up to you, but I would recommend leaving it in primary for at least another week either way. Of course, you should never transfer to a secondary until fermentation is complete, which you want to test by stable hydrometer reading over the course of a few days. I think you'll find that most people will recommend leaving the beer in primary for at least a week after finished gravity has been reached to allow the yeast to 'clean up after itself' regardless of whether they use a secondary or use the long primary method.

As for the total time, IPAs are generally best served young, but young is a relative term. I generally keg (or bottle) my IPAs after 2 - 3 weeks in primary with no secondary unless I'm dry hopping which I usually do for 7 - 10 days (I'm actually about to transfer an IPA onto dry hops after a 3 weeks primary in a few minutes). I'm sure that others go with as much as 4 - 6 weeks before kegging/bottling. Everyone has methods that work well for them. That said, I don't think that you'll find too many people recommending a long/lager-like conditioning period for an IPA. A Double IPA perhaps, but not a standard strength one.

Hope this helps :mug:

WOW.... really???... no secondary?? NOW I have questions, Is that typical of IPA's just leaving the beer in the primary till bottling time?? If so How long?(on avg i know it depends) The few brews Ive done, the primary, secondary ferm times added up till around 4 weeks. Why the difference??? Is it a personal thing?? or Maybe because IPAs have a higher alcohol content?

The overall consensus here is to forget about transferring off the yeast until bottling for most beers, unless you're looking to rack on to/off of different flavor components. The yeast will continue to metabolize side products of their growth/fermentation and the trub will continue to pack down, all resulting in a better product

-- Edit: Whoohoo hundredth post! --

WOW.... really???... no secondary?? NOW I have questions, Is that typical of IPA's just leaving the beer in the primary till bottling time?? If so How long?(on avg i know it depends) The few brews Ive done, the primary, secondary ferm times added up till around 4 weeks. Why the difference??? Is it a personal thing?? or Maybe because IPAs have a higher alcohol content?

This topic has been done to death on here, there are some excellent discussions about it. Rather than repeating what's been written on here all over the place Start with this post, then read the link that is in there, you will find every question you could ever imagine has been covered. The hows, the whys, the whens and whats...

:mug:

Yes rev, I must admit in my more detailed searching I have uncovered more info that has answered moat of my quandaries.....I will do 1000 rjenhinsckeboot ( you know like hail Marys) and 500 "I will sanitize ...." as pennance. :)

How anyone within 2 minutes of this place doesn't see the NO SECONDARY threads escapes me, not a jab at the OP, just as often as it comes up its amazing not everyone sees it.

But to the point, screw a secondary for dryhopping too IMO. Ill only use one for massive bulk aging, and even that's debatable, or for whiskey/oaking. Other than, 3-4 week primaries with dry hopping a week or 10 days prior to bottling, with three weeks in the bottle for best results. Drink those ipas young, and enjoy!

....Of course, you should never transfer to a secondary until fermentation is complete....

I thought (from my limited experience with kits) that you were supposed to transfer when fermentation was *almost* complete. The idea being that if the yeast has a little more work to do in the secondary it would push any oxygen out of the top of the carboy. I plan on just leaving most of my brews in the primary for the duration, but am curious about the distinction of when to move to a secondary if doing so.

I thought (from my limited experience with kits) that you were supposed to transfer when fermentation was *almost* complete. The idea being that if the yeast has a little more work to do in the secondary it would push any oxygen out of the top of the carboy. I plan on just leaving most of my brews in the primary for the duration, but am curious about the distinction of when to move to a secondary if doing so.

When I say 'fermentation is complete', I mean that the yeast is finished converting sugars. In other words, you've reached finished gravity and confirmed with hydrometer readings. The yeast still has it's 'clean up' to do. There will still be plenty of yeast in the beer when you transfer no matter how clear it may look. There will also be some co2 released from the beer no matter how gently you do your transfer that will create some blanket on the secondary, but it is still best to have as little head space as possible in your secondary to limit the risk of aeration.

Back