Indoor BIAB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, first time saving slurry actually... Considering using it in some complex malty hop bomb, but that would probably be about it. If I don't soon, I'll probably just pour down the drain.

Gavin,
When do you add your mineral and acid additions? Strike water or at the beginning of the mash?

All mineral and acid additions are added to the strike water.

If I'm using acidulated malt for pH adjustment it is of course added along with all the other grains at dough in.

All pH adjustments are preplanned. I make no intra-mash additions or adjustments.

Had a crack at a Schwarzbier almost two weeks ago. I'll keg it tomorrow.

Used a new lager strain. Munich Lager yeast from Wyeast.

Pitched it at 48°F
Yeast Pitching Temperature.jpg

I was anxious to avoid any harshness from the roast grains and did not use enough. It came out a little more brown than black but is perhaps still to style in that regard. A few tweaks to the recipe are needed but tastes good at this point. (FG sample)

Og and FG.JPG

Grainbill
Grain Bill.png

Water Profile
Water Summary.png

Mash (Full Volume, directly heated step mash)
MAsh.jpg

Mash pH was as planned

Mash pH.jpg

I'm looking forward to sampling this and the Märzen I brewed on Labor Day soon.

Last edited:
My FIL has been asking me to brew a schwarzbier for quite a while, and have never quite decided on a recipe. What do you think you'd tweak next go around? Add more chocolate or CIII special?

Edit: His point of reference is Shiner's version, which I'll say isn't half bad once in a while.

Had a crack at a Schwartzbier almost two weeks ago. I'll keg it tomorrow.

Hi Gavin,
Which Munich Lager yeast, the 2308 or 2352 Munich Lager II? Please let me know how it turns out. I'm curious as I've tried W-34/70 (so-so), Imperial L17 Harvest (phenomenal in a Bock,) and Imperial L02 Fest (great in an Oktoberfest.) Unfortunately, Imperial Yeast is hard to come by in the Memphis area, so I was looking for a suitable replacement. My next up is a German Pilsner using S-189. Thanks, Ed
:mug:

Had a crack at a Schwartzbier almost two weeks ago. I'll keg it tomorrow.

Pitched it at 48°F
View attachment 371908

I was anxious to avoid any harshness from the roast grains and did not use enough. It came out a little more brown than black but is perhaps still to style in that regard. A few tweaks to the recipe are needed but tastes good at this point. (FG sample)

View attachment 371907

Grainbill
View attachment 371903

Water Profile
View attachment 371906

Mash (Full Volume, directly heated step mash)
View attachment 371905

Mash pH was as planned

View attachment 371904

I'm looking forward to sampling this and the Märzen I brewed on Labor Day soon.

I think your color is spot on. Excerpt from the BJCP 2015 guidelines says...

Appearance
Medium to very dark brown in color, often with deep ruby to garnet highlights, yet almost never truly black. Very clear. Large, persistent, tan-colored head.

And, I could be mistaken here, but I don't think there's a T in Schwarzbier. Nit picking, I know, but figured you'd want someone to say something. Kind of like having your zipper down in public.

I think your color is spot on. Excerpt from the BJCP 2015 guidelines says...

Appearance
Medium to very dark brown in color, often with deep ruby to garnet highlights, yet almost never truly black. Very clear. Large, persistent, tan-colored head.

And, I could be mistaken here, but I don't think there's a T in Schwarzbier. Nit picking, I know, but figured you'd want someone to say something. Kind of like having your zipper down in public.

Hey TW

Thanks man. You are of course 100% right. That unwanted "t" does bother me. I'm quite the nit picker when it comes to my own stuff. I'll have to change it. Much appreciated.

On the guidelines. I think you're right again of course but I was shooting for a little darker. Maybe another 1-2 oz of carafa III next time.

BTW. Congrats on all your great success in the Lonestar circuit. Truly impressive haul of medals you got going. I struck out at the Limbo and have 3 beers entered in Dixie. Wish you every continued success (so long as you're not in my category in which case I wish you pestilence and failure:). )

Hi Gavin,
Which Munich Lager yeast, the 2308 or 2352 Munich Lager II? Please let me know how it turns out. I'm curious as I've tried W-34/70 (so-so), Imperial L17 Harvest (phenomenal in a Bock,) and Imperial L02 Fest (great in an Oktoberfest.) Unfortunately, Imperial Yeast is hard to come by in the Memphis area, so I was looking for a suitable replacement. My next up is a German Pilsner using S-189. Thanks, Ed
:mug:

I used the 2308

I'll let you know what my thoughts are. So far I'm happy. For a lager yeast it seemed to drop out of suspension very quickly and the attenuation levels were as planned. The manufacturers mentioned a need for a prolonged diacetyl rest with this strain.

While I'm not great at picking flavors out I could perceive no diacetyl in the nicely cleared FG sample. Time will tell. Hopefully I can enter some in a comp and get some useful feedback.

First time using this yeast.

My FIL has been asking me to brew a schwarzbier for quite a while, and have never quite decided on a recipe. What do you think you'd tweak next go around? Add more chocolate or CIII special?

Edit: His point of reference is Shiner's version, which I'll say isn't half bad once in a while.

Maybe a hair more carafa III and make sure I had enough of the correct hops on hand. I ran out of Tettnanger and had to scramble for a sub. Used Willamette as it was the closest I had on hand. Very poor planning on my part.

Hey TW

Thanks man. You are of course 100% right. That unwanted "t" does bother me. I'm quite the nit picker when it comes to my own stuff. I'll have to change it. Much appreciated.

On the guidelines. I think you're right again of course but I was shooting for a little darker. Maybe another 1-2 oz of carafa III next time.

BTW. Congrats on all your great success in the Lonestar circuit. Truly impressive haul of medals you got going. I struck out at the Limbo and have 3 beers entered in Dixie. Wish you every continued success (so long as you're not in my category in which case I wish you pestilence and failure:). )

I figured you'd want to know about the T :)

If you're concerned about the roasty flavors, would Carafa Special III be something you would consider? It's debittered.

And thanks! This is my first time making a concerted effort at competing. Lonestar has been both rewarding and frustrating. I struck out at Limbo too. I've got 11 entered into Dixie. Some are way, way past their prime. Some were sub-par to begin with. But it's my club's event and I guess you could say I'm donating to the cause.

I hope I can win a stein one day at Bluebonnet, like you!

If you're concerned about the roasty flavors, would Carafa Special III be something you would consider? It's debittered.
!

Yes it's the Carafa III special I used. A really useful malt I include in a lot of my lagers.

11 beers. Wow. That is comitment. Your club is lucky to have you. The Dixie is a big one. Qualifier for MCAB. That would be tremendous to get into that. It's one of my goals. Next year hopefully I'll up my competition game and will have a better crack at making the grade.

Again, the very best of luck to you in the competition mate.

Beautiful color and head!!! How do you do to create that head?

Thanks T

I really am liking this one.

Head formation and stability are multifactorial. Issues in play may include.
  • Types of malt used (protein and dextrin content)
  • Hops
  • Mash Profile
  • Fermentation profile
  • Level of carbonation
  • Surfactants (or lack thereof) on glassware.

Sorry I can't answer your question any better.

Here is a little more about that very topic.

I've never had a Schwarzbier before.

Gavin, your trip to the land of beer aside, what draws you to make German styles so consistently?

I feel the same. Been on a German kick this year and all the styles I've tried are just delicious to me.

I've found that most brewers have a modus operandi for selecting the styles that they brew often. Seasons, regions, styles, etc.

Got my results from Dixie Cup and lo and behold, saw your name up there too!

Congratulations!

Hey TW

Thanks for the heads up. I just now looked at the full results. You are far too humble.

It's you who deserve the kudos. Very well done on your Schwarzbier silver and two golds in the Belgian categories. Incredible stuff.

Congratulations on qualifying for MCAB.

What was your score for your Schwarzbier? I scored 37.5 for my Dunkel. Wondering how far behind you I was. None of my business of course so feel free to ignore my competitive curiosity.

Once again, very well done on your winning, Stellar results and well deserved I have no doubt.

Hey TW

Thanks for the heads up. I just now looked at the full results. You are far too humble.

It's you who deserve the kudos. Very well done on your Schwarzbier silver and two golds in the Belgian categories. Incredible stuff.

Congratulations on qualifying for MCAB.

What was your score for your Schwarzbier? I scored 37.5 for my Dunkel. Wondering how far behind you I was. None of my business of course so feel free to ignore my competitive curiosity.

Once again, very well done on your winning, Stellar results and well deserved I have no doubt.

Well, it appears you weren't behind me at all in the first round of judging. 33.5 for my Schwarzbier. Looks like second round judges had a different opinion on our beers.

Either way, congrats!

I'll have to look into this MCAB thing. I really don't know anything about it.

Gav & TW - Congrats to the both of you! That's really awesome!

Gav - was the same same dunkel, by chance, that I had the pleasure of sampling?

Gavin, I've been reading up and looking at doing my first Dunkel soon as I love that style but have yet to brew it. Mind sharing your recipe and any tips?

After seeing photos of your other gorgeous German styles I'd love to see how the color came out on it too if you have any photos!

Gavin, I've been reading up and looking at doing my first Dunkel soon as I love that style but have yet to brew it. Mind sharing your recipe and any tips?

After seeing photos of your other gorgeous German styles I'd love to see how the color came out on it too if you have any photos!

Sure thing. Here it is

5.5 gallons at 78% BH efficiency
attachment.php

Water
attachment.php

Grain Bill (Acid malt used to adjust pH. Mash pH was 5.5)
attachment.php

Hops
Hops.png

Yeast

WLP 833(lager pitch rate)

Mash Profile (One Infusion, one decoction, direct heat to mash out temps. Single infusion at 150°F would be an alternate simpler approach) No sparge.
MAsh.png

Fermentation Profile

Fermentation.png
(all in primary, ignore titles primary, secondary tertiary etc)

Kegged and force carbonated to 2.8 volumes.

Stored and lagered at 34F till ready.

Munich Dunkel
attachment.php

attachment.php

Bronze in Dixie Cup 2016
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1479783841.133231.jpg

Sure thing. Here it is

5.5 gallons at 78% BH efficiency
attachment.php

Water
attachment.php

Grain Bill (Acid malt used to adjust pH. Mash pH was 5.5)
attachment.php

Hops
View attachment 374681

Yeast

WLP 833(lager pitch rate)

Mash Profile (One Infusion, one decoction, direct heat to mash out temps. Single infusion at 150°F would be an alternate simpler approach) No sparge.
View attachment 374679

Fermentation Profile

View attachment 374680
(all in primary, ignore titles primary, secondary tertiary etc)

Kegged and force carbonated to 2.8 volumes.

Stored and lagered at 34F till ready.

Munich Dunkel
attachment.php

attachment.php

Looks and sounds fantastic thanks!

Can you elaborate on your process/amounts for decoction since you BIAB? I also BIAB but have an extra 9 gallon and 4 gallon kettle I could use.

Looks and sounds fantastic thanks!

Can you elaborate on your process/amounts for decoction since you BIAB? I also BIAB but have an extra 9 gallon and 4 gallon kettle I could use.

Thanks mate.

The amount needed for a decoction is dependent on a few things.
1: The change in mash temps you are targeting
2: The type of mash tun you use (heat loss from the tun during the process is a hard variable to pin down so pull more than software tells you)
3: The type of decoction. Single, multiple, Hockhurz etc.

I'd plug in your planned mash to whatever software you use and add 30% to the volume it suggests to pull.

Here is some more about the process of step mashing including decoction mashing. Might help you out some.

so....Irish stout?

Sorry. I forgot I had posted about this beer already. Schwarzbier at lunch.

Did an overnight mash on a beer recently.

Turned out well I think. Just kegged it today. 1oz of leaf hops in the keg. 8oz of whirlpool hops

1.002.jpg

My biggest beer to date. Full volume no sparge 78% BH efficiency.

1.001.jpg

Brewed this IPA a few weeks ago.

I carried out an overnight single infusion, full-volume, no-sparge mash for the first time.

I managed mash pH with a small addition of lactic acid to the full volume of water and employed a 30 minute whirlpool hop addition at 160°F with 8oz of hops after the boil.

Grain-Bill
Screen Shot 2016-11-20 at 2.03.25 PM.png

Hops
Screen Shot 2016-11-20 at 2.03.04 PM.png

(Dry hops added in the FV and the keg. The latter addition is left in the keg till it kicks.)

Water
Screen Shot 2016-11-20 at 2.32.26 PM.png

Yeast
American Ale II Wyeast 1272

Delicious "Vienna" IPA Color 6.5 SRM IBU 100+??

DSC06116.jpg

I really like this juicy, piney, dank beer.

How did you do the overnight mash? Just cover with blankets? Just curious on starting temp, ending temp, and overall time. Also, did you still do a mashout?

Thanks! By the way, love your thread, I'm planning BIAB batch #2, and have many similarities to your setup!

How did you do the overnight mash? Just cover with blankets? Just curious on starting temp, ending temp, and overall time. Also, did you still do a mashout?

Thanks! By the way, love your thread, I'm planning BIAB batch #2, and have many similarities to your setup!

Hey Tommy

Thanks for the kind words. I'm glad you're able to get some use from the thread.

Here is a rough out of the mash profile. Essentially a single infusion at 149°F with a gradual loss of heat from the mash over time.

Overnight Mash Profile
1.001.jpg

When I got up from bed in the morning I removed the insulation, fired up the stove, stirred it well and pulled the bag.

I did not do a mash out on the overnight mash.

I insulated the pot with reflectix in my usual manner.

attachment.php

Back