Indoor BIAB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Gavin C thanks for the help with my first Dunkel a few pages back. This is the second lager I have done and it came out FANTASTIC! It is almost exactly the Dunkel I was going for. Cheers!

View attachment 396083

View attachment 396084

Those are great beer pics mate. Lovely looking head. Delighted my recipe didn't bork things up for you.

Thanks for sharing.
Cheers.

Hey Gavin,

Not looking to stir any pots on your thread, but ive been wondering if you've become a LODO convert at all yet. I trust your opinion since you've seemed to nail a few german beers down -pat and have medals to show for it.

Specifically, have you taken to experimenting with pre boiling, smb, or spunding?

Hey Gavin,

Not looking to stir any pots on your thread, but ive been wondering if you've become a LODO convert at all yet. I trust your opinion since you've seemed to nail a few german beers down -pat and have medals to show for it.

Specifically, have you taken to experimenting with pre boiling, smb, or spunding?

No worries. Stir away. That thread is quite a chuckle. Plenty of solid specious reasoning going on.

I do have an opinion on the matter but have not to date made any changes to my hot side approach that would be in line with a purist's LoDO approach.

I've tried grain conditioning and underletting but for other reasons rather than the reduction in hot side oxygenation objective cited in the thread to which you refer. Both were useful for other reasons in and of themselves.

To be honest I've been on a bit of a brewing hiatus, having relocated to a different state. As a result I sold much of my cold side gear and will be starting afresh with a new setup when everything is settled here in WA. Bigger batch size and I may in all likelihood switch to a multi vessel approach.

I've always sought ways to reduce oxygenation on the cold side. If I can get my beers better by applying the same philosophy on the hot side all the better. In theory, much of it makes sense to me.

TLDR version
  • Haven't been brewing in a bit
  • Haven't gone LoDo.
  • I will likely experiment and see what happens to comp scores. if more bling I'll be a convert. If not the corollary will apply.

Hope you and yours are well in Canukistan JWalk. If you're ever in the Seattle area give me a shout. We can talk bollox over a beer or two.

Hope you and yours are well in Canukistan JWalk. If you're ever in the Seattle area give me a shout. We can talk bollox over a beer or two.

Will do! Just save some hops in the yakima valley for the rest of us, eh?

Truth be told I made 1 batch so far this year:New baby, new house. I even went quiet on HBT to avoid all temptation. But im looking towards September when things settle down a bit.

Re: LODO I agree. Ive read the internet abridged Kunze and was always convinced that oxidation is a thing, but without stale cardboard flavor in my beer I couldn't be sure whether or not I had cause for concern.

Ill probably practice the preboil and chill, and low doses of SMB for a batch or two while I work on acquiring the parts for a spunding valve.

Cheers,

Jeff

In my opinion, for what it's worth, LoDO works and is definitely worth it - especially for pale lagers. The level of oxidation that most intermediate-to-advanced level brewers are used to doesn't taste like wet cardboard. It's what it doesn't taste like that is the real point, i.e. what you're missing by oxidizing above 2ppm O2. With LoDO, you get to taste what's really behind that malt, and preserve more of your hop aroma as well.

My $0.02

In my opinion, for what it's worth, LoDO works and is definitely worth it - especially for pale lagers. The level of oxidation that most intermediate-to-advanced level brewers are used to doesn't taste like wet cardboard. It's what it doesn't taste like that is the real point, i.e. what you're missing by oxidizing above 2ppm O2. With LoDO, you get to taste what's really behind that malt, and preserve more of your hop aroma as well.

My $0.02

Good to hear from you E

It's folks like yourself (among others who I've learned from) advocating for the approach that make me want to explore the process.

Having enjoyed your carefully crafted beers and having benefited from your thoughtful posts and help I guess I am justifiably biased in that regard.

Experimentation in process is fun. That's reason enough for me to delve a bit deeper.

I don't trust my own palate so would need some data (consistently better competition scores) to make me a convert. Sure sounds like fun acquiring the data. Love me some pale lagers.

I am itching to get brewing again. Maybe toward the end of the year. Sooner if my situation allows.

Back