II Rye IPA recipe critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McGlothan

Reaction score
Hi,

I made this two days ago and it is fermenting nicely in the basement. This is my third all grain batch. Let me know what you think. I haven't used rye before but I have had a couple of rye ipas and enjoyed them. The recipe mutated throughout the day but this was the final recipe. Thank you.

Grain:

11 lb. American 2-Row
3 lb. Rye Malt
1 lb. Crystal 70-80
.5 lb. Carapils/Dextrine
.5 lb. American White Wheat Malt

Hops:

First Wort Hop: 1 oz. Columbus
60 Min: 1 oz. Chinook
30 Min: 1 oz. Centennial
15 Min: 1 oz. Citra
0 Min: 1 oz. Falconers Flight

Yeast:

Rogue Pacman

Dry Hop:

1 oz. Centennial 2 Weeks
1 oz. Columbus 2 Weeks

Estimated Original Gravity: 1.078
Actual Original Gravity: 1.076

the dry hops would be something that will be easy to add. I did buy extra hops so I had room to play around. It was my first time doing a first wort hop. The color is copper to red. I have extra of all the hops in the recipe so which should I add to the dry hop? I bought kits for the first few extract brews i did, then started to try to clone beers I liked. Bells two hearted ale was the first with help from northern brewers recipe. Ive been trying my own recipes on the last few batches but dont have a full knowledge of grains and hops and when they are appropriate to use. So I take tidbits of info from everywhere I can to make something good.

Looks remarkably like my recipe....

I believe the grain bill form northern brewer was what I followed, which I believe is yours. Im not at all claiming to make these up on my own, I dont have enough experience yet to do that. What I do is, mimic grain bill from a beer that has the base I like, and change up the hops and yeast because the brew store is always out of things I expect to put in my recipe. I always have to alter the recipe when im shopping for ingredients. I will send you a bomber when its ready. I would love to hear what you think about it. This is the only way as of yet I can attempt to make something of my own. There is so much to learn in brewing and the grains/hops usage is what I am currently learning.

Thank you,

Shawn

I believe the grain bill form northern brewer was what I followed, which I believe is yours. Im not at all claiming to make these up on my own, I dont have enough experience yet to do that. What I do is, mimic grain bill from a beer that has the base I like, and change up the hops and yeast because the brew store is always out of things I expect to put in my recipe. I always have to alter the recipe when im shopping for ingredients. I will send you a bomber when its ready. I would love to hear what you think about it. This is the only way as of yet I can attempt to make something of my own. There is so much to learn in brewing and the grains/hops usage is what I am currently learning.

Thank you,

Shawn

I'd love to try it! I wrote an article on recipe formulation that was in Zymurgy a few months back. It might be useful to you.

How might I access that article? I have really absorbed a lot of info over my short span of brewing. I fell instantly in love with brewing and stepped it up to all grain and I enjoy brewing more every time I do it. I have a very good understanding of the basics and have been a very good student (wish I could have taken a course in high school). The grain and mash conversion, hops and alpha acids, thats where the real chemistry comes in and gets more confusing. All of the available books for homebrewing are great and make it easy to understand the process, but thats half the battle it seems. From what ive seen, anyone can BREW beer, I want to understand what it is that im doing so I can MAKE beer. I would love to read your article. And I will send you a bomber!

Im not but I should be. Which month was it? A friend of mine has been getting them monthly for quite a while. He should have it. I will look at becoming an AHA member and get back to you on that as well. thanks for your help

Thanks Denny,

I will be seeing my friend today and ask him. We have a beer drinking date with the head brewer from mountain sun in Boulder. We will be getting to try all of the experimental batches he makes. My first time meeting and talking with an expert brewer since I began brewing. Im excited! We all know how fun afternoon beer dates are with our buddies! I want to try to brew the BVIP someday in the near future. I am days away from moving so I will try it when my "brewery" has been re-established. Its the only part of moving I am nervous about. Carboy full of the Rye IPA in the passenger seat! Buckle up! Thank you for sharing. I will let you know when the beer is ready! How do you mail beer anyway?

Cheers,

Shawn

How would the addition of fresh peaches be in this recipe? Colorado peach season is coming to an end and I just brought some home. I would remove the skin first. Any thoughts?

If you mean my Rye IPA or BVIP recipes...uh....no. Don't go there.

I was referring to the rye. I am always curious about trying things in secondary. I work with produce so I am always tasting all of the new seasonal stuff. I haven't tried anything besides dry hopping. Have you had a bad experience with this? Do you think peach and rye sounds like a bad combo or do you just not recommend this altogether?

I was referring to the rye. I am always curious about trying things in secondary. I work with produce so I am always tasting all of the new seasonal stuff. I haven't tried anything besides dry hopping. Have you had a bad experience with this? Do you think peach and rye sounds like a bad combo or do you just not recommend this altogether?

The rye and the high hopping just doesn't make adding peaches sound tasty to me. Try to taste it in your mind...when I do that, my reaction is "YUCK!".

You should brew denny's recipe you wont be disappointed. I made an apa version of it and and i loved it so much i am making it again

OK, I almost added the peaches but they were all mealy and tasteless when I opened one up. I was too late in peach season I guess. I added some chinook to the dry hops and let it sit a couple of weeks. I bottled a week ago and have a couple of weeks before I crack one open. I will let you know how it is. My final gravity was 1.016. I am excited to try it!

Back