Pliny the Elder American Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Last year, I brewed a PtE clone according to the MoreBeer! recipe (which Vinnie Cilurzo supposedly consulted on), and it turned out really nicely. I'd like to try turning it into a similar recipe for an APA. Can I accomplish that by reducing the base malt to get an APA-level OG, dial the character malts back to maintain the percentages, then reducing/eliminating the bittering hops? Here's what the two recipes look like:

Pliny the Elder DIPA clone (MoreBeer! recipe)
12 lb 2-Row
1 lb Carapils
6 oz Caramel 40L
1 lb Corn Sugar
2 oz Cascade (whole) mash
2.7 oz Magnum 90 min
1 oz Simcoe 45 min
1 oz CTZ 30 min
2 oz Centennial 0 min
1 oz Simcoe 0 min
3 oz CTZ 5 day dry hop
1 oz Centennial 5 day dry hop
1 oz Simcoe 5 day dry hop
WLP001 Cal Ale yeast

Pliny's Midlife Crisis APA (3 Dawg Night recipe)
8 lb 2-Row
.75 lb Carapils
4 oz Caramel 40L
.75 lb Corn Sugar
.5 oz Simcoe 45 min
.5 oz CTZ 30 min
2 oz Centennial 0 min
1 oz Simcoe 0 min
3 oz CTZ 5 day dry hop
WLP001 Cal Ale yeast

Last year, I brewed a PtE clone according to the MoreBeer! recipe (which Vinnie Cilurzo supposedly consulted on), and it turned out really nicely. I'd like to try turning it into a similar recipe for an APA. Can I accomplish that by reducing the base malt to get an APA-level OG, dial the character malts back to maintain the percentages, then reducing/eliminating the bittering hops? Here's what the two recipes look like:

Pliny the Elder DIPA clone (MoreBeer! recipe)
12 lb 2-Row
1 lb Carapils
6 oz Caramel 40L
1 lb Corn Sugar
2.7 oz Magnum 90 min
1 oz Simcoe 45 min
1 oz CTZ 30 min
2 oz Centennial 0 min
1 oz Simcoe 0 min
3 oz CTZ 5 day dry hop
WLP001 Cal Ale yeast

Pliny's Midlife Crisis APA (3 Dawg Night recipe)
8 lb 2-Row
.75 lb Carapils
4 oz Caramel 40L
.75 lb Corn Sugar
.5 oz Simcoe 45 min
.5 oz CTZ 30 min
2 oz Centennial 0 min
1 oz Simcoe 0 min
3 oz CTZ 5 day dry hop
WLP001 Cal Ale yeast

Sounds like a fun idea! Maybe posted expected OG, FG , & predicted IBUs?

Having just watched these two youtube videos.

Seems ditching the crystal is the way to go.

Might get some tips for the APA version as well. Although a lot of old IPA recipes would be APA now anyway.

I picked up a few tips from watching both of them.

Was just in Windsor. I get ditchin crystal for shelf life but gotta say had a couple Plinys. Not nearly as good as it used be.

I like this idea!

Vinnie has been especially open about the PTE recipe lately - definately all base malt and dextrose now which I’m a big fan of for DIPA.

But for a pale I’d go slightly different. I’d drop the dextrose completely and stick with a little bit of crystal like you have it, but probably 3-5% light Munich would be better imo. Love your hopping plan, sounds like an excellent “modern” pale ale with classic hops! And I love that!

Last edited:
You may have already seen this, but if you haven't, it's a really nice Russian River APA. Row 2 Hill 56 Clone by Jukas
Sorry to revive an older thread, but wanted to give a shout out to this one. I brewed and kegged it a while ago, and it was really good. It will be on my regular play list for sure.

Latest posts

Back