IBU Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbaker33

Reaction score
I am looking at making a Double IPA, which will be about 55 IBU's. SWMBO doesn't like may of the IPA's I bring home, particularly the Sierra Nevada because they are too hoppy, but she does really like the Harpoon IPA. According to the Harpoon website, their IPA is 42 IBU's, so my question is, how big of a jump is it from 42 to 55 IBU's? And at 55 IBU's, what would be a comparible IPA?

I think I was reading something about how women tend to have a sharper tongue for bitterness on this forum somewhere and Its been my experience that most women don't like pa's and ipa's. That being said the bitterness you may notice from jumping up 13 ibu's may be completely different then what she notices. Magic hats PA 'Lucky Kat' has an IBU of 58 and I think it to be fairly bitter in taste; much more than Harpoon. But you could also balance out a lot of hops with grain and if you take out some of the 60 min hops and put them in at 30min that will drop your IBU considerably without making it less hoppy. Just a thought:)

Cheers:mug:
Steve

It may also be a difference for her with the balance or type of hops rather than just IBUs. I don't like Sierra Nevada Pale Ale either because I think it's too hoppy, just because there's not a lot else going on with the beer IMO. I also don't like the Dogfish 60 minute, but I loved the 120 minute. The difference for me is that the 120 minute is smoother and better balanced, even though it's a ton of hop flavor and 120 IBUs according to their website. I don't even recall thinking that it was all that bitter.

I'm not familiar with the Harpoon IPA, but maybe if you talk to her a little bit more to find out what specifically she does or doesn't like about the beer, you'll be able to figure out what you need to do to make an IPA she'll enjoy.

Thanks for the replies guys. Maybe I should start with this, is there a mass produced Double IPA I could buy to get a taste test before brewing it?

I've looked at my local beer store and didn't see much, but I might have been missing something.

There is a school of thought that using a ratio of 1:1 in original gravity points vs IBU's, balances out the taste. A commercial IIPA will have upwards of 80 IBU's.

I don't think you will find a commercial IIPA that has 50 something IBU's.

And rather than trying to find your taste levels one beer at a time, it may be easier to find a bar that caters to craft beers and try to taste several different ones at the same sitting.

Again, I believe you are confusing the 'hoppiness' of a well dryhopped IPA, with the bitterness of beer that the 60 minute addition gave it.

IMO most commercial IIPAs tend to be fairly balanced as far as hop:bitterness ratios go, though I still think the Rogue IIPA is over carb'd and way more bitter than it should be. My brother loves the stuff, but then again this is the same guy who crushed one of my left over Saaz pellets and put it into one of my honey weizens as he was drinking it. I should have told him to just chew on a warrior pellet.

If you can achieve a balanced bitterness:hop ratio you'll have a solid IPA/IIPA but that can be a little tricky depending on your hops schedule and the hops you use. I would say that a 30,15,5 min and flameout additions with dryhopping would result in more of a hops profile without it becoming over bitter. But since I'm not overly fond of imperials, I've never played with this technique. Just my $.02

+1 HH

What the OP is looking for is not just IBU's, but the balance in a beer. This balance is the relationship between IBU's and initial gravity, or the BU:GU (bitterness units:gravity units) ratio. This is a ratio between the IBU's and the decimal portion of the OG. For example, a Pale Ale with IBU of 40 and a OG of 1.060 will have a BU:GU of 0.66.

There are other thing to consider also, most importantly what hops are used and how are they used. Some bittering hops are considered harsh, namely Chinooks (Mmmm Chinooks...) and can really assault the tongue. Others, like Magnum or Warrior, are clean bittering and tend to balance sweetness with out the harshness.

As HH mentioned, dry hopping is a huge part of the aroma and flavor profile of an IPA. Sierra Nevada tends toward Cascades, very citrusy. Harpoon, IIRC, uses Ahtanum, which has more floral notes.

Thanks for all the info guys. Very good stuff. I believe you are correct, it is the balance I am after, not so much the IBU's, I just didn't really know how to say it. I want the ABV high, but the sharpness of the hop bitterness to be low. I guess it really does depend on the type of hops I use, I'll look into this and maybe come back with some clarifying questions at a later date.

Much appreciated guys.

Back