I understand now... but its still not ok (to varying degrees)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm all for people talking about their kids and such but I don't like to be cornered and tied down made to listen for hours at work. It is exhausting.
Ahhh!!! So cute! Creamy realizes that all this time, HE was the ass! ;)

Yes, I get the point, but hang in there.

You will go from:

The guy who is soooooooo annoyed that there is a baby crying on the plane...

TO:

The guy feeling sorry for the poor woman traveling alone with a crying baby, ready to defend her from anyone who tries to give her or the kid any crap.

The ones raising kids are the ones keeping the world going by doing the hard job for all of the selfish people who don't.
People who do not have kids are hardly selfish. :rolleyes:
Lol, having kids leaves SO little time for *****ebaggery!!!

;)

Disagree. I know a number of ********* dads. :D

That is where you both HAVE to be on the same page for having kids or not.

Not only that, but if these guys SO's really want kids (and they really don't), then their SO's should move on and go find mates that want the same things they do.

Raising kids is tough enough and the last thing someone is a grown child in the mix starting drama and making it hard on everyone else.

Not only that, but if these guys SO's really want kids (and they really don't), then their SO's should move on and go find mates that want the same things they do.

Raising kids is tough enough and the last thing someone is a grown child in the mix starting drama and making it hard on everyone else.

I want kids eventually but my SO wants them sooner rather than later. She doesn't want to be an "Old Mom."

I want kids eventually but my SO wants them sooner rather than later. She doesn't want to be an "Old Mom."

Unfortunately time waits for no man. Incompatibility can be a matter of timing just as it could be a matter of wanting/not wanting children. Its a tough spot to be in.

I think being a grouchy non-parent who couldnt stand the breeding world around me actually made me a better person and a better parent.

Right now I want to tell the world the "really funny" diaper story from last night. But I won't. My father and my inlaws are the only people on the planet, well... other than our pediatrician, who want to hear about how much my son is pooping.

If I had skipped this "never have kids the world is too full of ******** as it is" stage in my life I would be downright insufferable.

:fro:

My sister is one of the parents that says her two kids are the best at everything. They're going to grow up to be doctors who play in the MLB and cure cancer after hitting 1,000 home runs. What's worse is my mom agrees with her. Now that my wife is pregnant with our 1st child we're concerned if that's going to change with our kid or is our kid going to hear how awesome their cousin is all the time.

Heh, my first was born exactly 3 weeks before I turned 16 so I don't even remember if I went through the stage of never wanting kids lol. My second was almost exactly 7 years later right before I turned 22. And then my third and final just a short couple of years after that. All that being said, I can honestly say I've never PLANNED on having kids. The first two just kinda surprised the living crap out of me.

I'm still marveled at the nature vs nurture experiment going on in my daughter because I know both of her birth parents. I can see behavior that is "them" and behavior that is "us".

This week I noticed she is picking up my icy stare down.

It's going to make some guys balls shrivel up and die someday.

I'm actually going to have to disagree with you completely on this one. The fact that you and I procreated is unremarkable and not truly a help to anyone (except arguably our own kids). There are enough people popping out 5+ kids at a sitting at you and I dont have much of a impact one way or another.

Plus, I think it is infinitely less selfish to have fewer or no kids than to have them and leave society at large to raise them. If people stopped thinking that popping out a little ******* is better than not having kids at all this world would be a much better place.

So yeah, in response to "NO?" Im going to have to respond... no.

+1. I'm glad I have a healthy child. but the earth really is overpopulated. I'm good with one.

Can I just say that I am surprised, nah, astounded that not only have I catalogued each and every face my son has made mentally after trying a new food, but I excitedly tell anyone who will listen what he liked and how much he liked it? The hell is going on??

The ones raising kids are the ones keeping the world going by doing the hard job for all of the selfish people who don't.

[...]

when one group is CONTINUING THE F**KING SPECIES, and you are just living out your selfish (and from your post, possibly meaningless) life, just about anything said by the "selfish spouting, lecturing" parents is forgiveable......NO?

Parents are every bit as selfish as child-free couples. Nobody has kids, against their wishes, out of some altruistic impulse to perpetuate the species. They do it because they want kids. Key word being "want." It's selfish, and there's nothing wrong with that, but I won't let you play the martyr card just because you now realize what a mistake it was, but don't have the option to go back.

You're not a hero. You were just too dumb to realize ahead of time how much having kids sucks. It's not really your fault - the cult of parenthood deliberately suppresses all the crappy aspects of it. Your parents brainwashed you into having kids as "payback" for the misery you caused them. After all, misery loves company.

I'm 39, been married for 15 years, don't have kids, never wanted any, and never will. My wife is of the same mindset. We're perfectly happy the way we are - why would we mess a good thing up with a screaming, smelly, expensive, immature narcissist? I don't begrudge people having kids - it's your funeral. But don't pretend you're some kind of hero, and don't inconvenience me because of a choice YOU made.

Parents are every bit as selfish as child-free couples. Nobody has kids, against their wishes, out of some altruistic impulse to perpetuate the species. They do it because they want kids. Key word being "want." It's selfish, and I won't let you play the martyr card just because you now realize what a mistake it was, but don't have the option to go back.

You're not a hero. You were just too dumb to realize ahead of time how much having kids sucks. It's not really your fault - the cult of parenthood deliberately suppresses all the crappy aspects of it. Your parents brainwashed you into having kids as "payback" for the misery you caused them. After all, misery loves company.

Kids are ****ing cool.

The good outweighs the bad 100 fold in my opinion.

However, if someone decides not to have kids, great. I hate other people's kids.

The good outweighs the bad 100 fold in my opinion.

Then why do parents always look so tired, stressed, and miserable? If the good outweighs the bad, why is the bad always kept as such a secret? Why not be upfront and tell women the truth? If you have kids, you will never have full control of your bladder again. Sex will never feel as good again. For either of you. You will get stretch marks, your boobs will sag, you will always carry a little extra weight, and you will never be as attractive as you otherwise could have been. You will have embarrassing experiences like lactating through your shirt in public, or leaving a stain on your friend's couch if you laugh too hard. You will spend the entire first year fighting with your spouse over who got slightly more sleep and thus whose turn it is to go feed the baby. You will fight over money, how long the in-laws should visit, and what kind of car you need/can afford/is safe enough for your precious new future genius.

I've seen it first hand. Kids change everything. My life is friggin' sweet as it is - why would I want to "change everything?" Heck, I don't want to change ANYthing.

I once felt very much like you @kombat. With that said, I dont think I ever intended this thread to be an argument between who have and those who dont have kids. I certainly didnt want to cause an argument between you and a member who has been banned from the site for months now...

Then why do parents always look so tired, stressed, and miserable? If the good outweighs the bad, why is the bad always kept as such a secret? Why not be upfront and tell women the truth? If you have kids, you will never have full control of your bladder again. Sex will never feel as good again. You will get stretch marks, your boobs will sag, you will always carry a little extra weight, and you will never be as attractive as you otherwise could have been. You will have embarrassing experiences like lactating through your shirt in public, or leaving a stain on your friend's couch if you laugh too hard. You will spend the entire first year fighting with your spouse over who got slightly more sleep and thus whose turn it is to go feed the baby. You will fight over money, how long the in-laws should visit, and what kind of car you need/can afford/is safe enough for your precious new future genius.

I've seen it first hand. Kids change everything. My life is friggin' sweet as it is - why would I want to "change everything?" Heck, I don't want to change ANYthing.

Do you know this first hand or something? I mean, look at you crusading against people that want to have kids... kind of ironic considering your first post.

Here we go:

Then why do parents always look so tired, stressed, and miserable? If the good outweighs the bad, why is the bad always kept as such a secret?

It's hard work being a parent... anything worth doing is almost never easy. Have you ever heard of the terrible twos? Kids waking up screaming in the middle of the night? Kids screaming in the store?

It's not really a secret that being a parent is hard work and that hard work sucks.

Why not be upfront and tell women the truth? If you have kids, you will never have full control of your bladder again. Sex will never feel as good again. You will get stretch marks, your boobs will sag, you will always carry a little extra weight, and you will never be as attractive as you otherwise could have been. You will have embarrassing experiences like lactating through your shirt in public, or leaving a stain on your friend's couch if you laugh too hard.

My wife didn't eat like a boar hog during her pregnancy... she gained very little additional weight, has no stretch marks and looks just as smokin' (better now actually) as she did when we first met. Lost all the weight plus more within 8 months. But, this part of your post is pretty telling. Love isn't skin deep brother.

She never lactated through her shirt (that I know of) or peed her pants... maybe once actually. That's ok, I've peed my pants as a grown man. What up?

You will spend the entire first year fighting with your spouse over who got slightly more sleep and thus whose turn it is to go feed the baby.

Yeah... not really. You're over generalizing and fail to understand the love we have for our kids and that it's less of a chore and more of a "let's keep this amazing little person alive" type-feeling.

You will fight over money, how long the in-laws should visit, and what kind of car you need/can afford[snip snark]

So... married couples with no children don't have these conversations?

I've seen it first hand. Kids change everything.

Yes they do.

My life is friggin' sweet as it is - why would I want to "change everything?" Heck, I don't want to change ANYthing.

Don't then.

Do you know this first hand or something?

Not in the sense that I've personally lived through it, I mean as a close spectator, having watched several friends/relative/siblings in law go through it.

So... married couples with no children don't have these conversations?

Of course we do, they just go much more calmly and rationally when both parties are well-rested. :)

I guess I just don't get it. I've seen people I considered close friends totally withdraw from their social circle as their lives became consumed with kid stuff. They never come out to get-togethers anymore, they require others to work around their schedule ("He goes to bed at 7:00, so we can't stay any later than 6:00" "It's a Superbowl party. Kickoff isn't until 7:30.") They can't travel anymore, can't go camping, their weekends are consumed with soccer tournaments and dance recitals, it's sad.

It's the cult of it that I find so mind-boggling. This comes back to Creamy's original post. Let's all just put it out there: newborn babies are ugly. They look like slimy, wrinkly, pink aliens. Yet the new parent will proudly throw a dozen photos up on Facebook and ask, "Isn't he beautiful?" Now what am I supposed to say? I understand HE thinks he's beautiful, because it's his kid, but does he really expect the rest of us to feign amazement at this weird-looking being that just squeezed out his wife's hoo-ha? But of course, dutifully, other parents always pile-on, "He's beautiful! Great job! You must be so proud! (Of what? Doing what humans have been doing for millennia?)"

It's just sad watching them struggle. Eventually, they ask for help, and as their friend, I want to help them, but I really have no interest in this baby. I'd much rather be doing my own thing than making sure this little thing doesn't accidentally commit suicide through its own idiocy.

Bah. Maybe it's just me. The whole thing just seems so illogical to me.

Bah. Maybe it's just me. The whole thing just seems so illogical to me.

Yeah, that's fine. I felt the same way before ours came along.

It's not like us breeders are trying to convert the childless folks, I don't care.

But... until it happens, I don't think you could ever really understand. I thought watching my daughter come out of her mom was going to be disgusting and ruin sex for me forever.

It was the most amazing thing I've ever witnessed. Biased? Of course, there's no way you couldn't be.

Now call my dumb kid a jerk to her face. :D

1487318_810583608996755_3818401314262594580_n.jpg

I once felt very much like you @kombat. With that said, I dont think I ever intended this thread to be an argument between who have and those who dont have kids.

No worries, Creamy, it's just a hot-button topic for me, particularly because this isn't exactly the kind of thing you can openly discuss in public, and especially not with the parents/relatives themselves. So the frustration gets pent up and erupts in a "safe" anonymous environment like this.

I certainly didnt want to cause an argument between you and a member who has been banned from the site for months now...

Was he??? Oh, that explains why I haven't seen him around. What'd he do, anyway? I must have missed some drama.

Most narcissistic thread award winner!!!! 🎉🎊🎇🎈🎁

Was he??? Oh, that explains why I haven't seen him around. What'd he do, anyway? I must have missed some drama.

He kept posting verboten stuff, mods kept deleting it, he got sandy, and then he left.

Deleted threads and deleted posts?(triceratops) Really? FU*K THIS PLACE. See you all somewhere else!

It ain't eezy, bein' cheezy.

No worries, Creamy, it's just a hot-button topic for me, particularly because this isn't exactly the kind of thing you can openly discuss in public, and especially not with the parents/relatives themselves. So the frustration gets pent up and erupts in a "safe" anonymous environment like this.

I get that, and to a certain extent that was the whole point of this thread. A certain kind of pretty wonderful dementia hits somewhere between 15 and 20seconds after your milk-monster's birth but one has to remember how frustrating it was when you were childless to live amongst the crazy people.

I'm pretty thrilled to be nuts right now... but I am trying like hell to not use the baby as an excuse for bad behavior on my part. I will blame him for when I am tired though.

Probably 90% of people who have gotten married have gone through all those questions kombat. I personally reached the point of answering the question with a smart @***** answer. :p

Not just you "creamy" the whole subject matter as well as replies from both ends of the spectrum.
I have 3 children , 2 are adults and 1 teenager 😬 as well as 1 grandson. As soon as the grandson got here I realized grandkids are the reward for all the 💩 the kids did/do. ( which is by the way the same 💩 we all did to our parents) which explains the goofy grin my dad always had when he was around my kids as they were giving me 💩....
Anyway, I remember my dad saying as one point " if I had known grandchildren were so much fun I'd had them first".
It's all good !!!!!!!!

I started this thread because Ive been on both sides of the coin... and now Im still on both sides of the coin.

I cant wait to go home to the baby. My wife is the best version of herself she has ever been, and I hope I am as well. I got annoyed at 3am when I got shaken awake to go feed the baby and then when he finished his bottle the little bastard hugged me. I'm still reeling.

With that said, people still ask if my wife is breastfeeding, when we are going to have another one, when we are going to move to the suburbs, all questions that make me want to go ballistic. I hope the next person who starts a monologue with "when I got pregnant I realized it was no longer all about me" is stricken with laryngitis and cant finish their self-agrandizing blather. Also, I REALLY hope I can keep my kid from kicking the back of the seat of the person in front of them on the plane... cuz MAN I hate that.

Oh, kombat. Never have full control of my bladder? Sex is no good anymore?

You do realize that most females are built to accommodate a birth, right?

It's not like I sat on a grenade or something. That stuff ain't all blown up.

Right on Sharona , "that stuff ain't all blown up" roflmao

Then why do parents always look so tired, stressed, and miserable? If the good outweighs the bad, why is the bad always kept as such a secret? Why not be upfront and tell women the truth? If you have kids, you will never have full control of your bladder again. Sex will never feel as good again. For either of you. You will get stretch marks, your boobs will sag, you will always carry a little extra weight, and you will never be as attractive as you otherwise could have been. You will have embarrassing experiences like lactating through your shirt in public, or leaving a stain on your friend's couch if you laugh too hard. You will spend the entire first year fighting with your spouse over who got slightly more sleep and thus whose turn it is to go feed the baby. You will fight over money, how long the in-laws should visit, and what kind of car you need/can afford/is safe enough for your precious new future genius.

Tell women the truth? You don't say. Some of us look tired, shredded, and miserable because of life and the only bright spot is the kids!
I have one child and never lost control of my bladder... Not even at ten days past my due date. That was five years ago. I have no stretch marks after carrying a baby that weighed in at over nine pounds. I am proud of my boobs because they provided for my daughter. They have never sagged. The big guy was psyched that they got bigger during my pregnancy and stayed bigger. Oh yeah.... That's bad, right?
Sorry, your post pissed me off and your words make it sound like you are somehow offended by women that have given birth. Don't you ever think that women go into it not knowing the changes we are going to go through. Since we are equal to our male counterparts it's a choice we are happy to make.

You know what I wish someone had told me before having our daughter?

"Having kids means 12 more years of doing homework."

And it's like whack-a-mole. I get the math grade up, the spelling grade drops. I get the spelling grade up and the creative writing grade drops.

I agree with Creamy that kids a schriveled red monkey looking creatures when born. Then for the next year or so smell like spoiled milk and poo. They keep you up, try your patience and can be all around repulsive (using a diaper as a kangaroo pouch? no thanks). But they can be cute, and as bad as they can be when they are good they are the polar opposite. I have no kids, but would like one or two eventually.

Having kids is a polarizing topic. It isnt for some. Maybe that is an inbuilt population control method now that we have managed to defeat or make survivable a lot diseases and conditions that used to be fatal. Heck I have a friend who swore that she never wanted to have kids. She had a rotten childhood and still hates her mother. She found she was pregnant and since having said child has become all doting mother over him. She even remarks on how cute her kid is and how disgusted she is with herself for feeling that attachment. You never know. I am not saying those who are anti-having children should have kids. But I am also saying to not look down on others for prioritizing their lives towards their kids. Heck, I would hope that parents would prioritize the raising and nurturing of their impressionable children over going out and having fun.

Kids may not always be a choice, but once you have them, you really ought to raise them to be good examples for others who may want them.

It's 2015. Kids are always a choice.

That said, I agree with the rest of your post; great perspective on a hot-button topic.

Well, some who want to have kids (their own) are incapable, and some who dont accidents happen. Religion and beliefs or even health could actually prevent termination.

Consider that hair thoroughly split. (and since I dont use them imagine a smiley face of some sort here)

Back