I think I bottled too early

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I usually bottle at 20. I always get stuck at 20, even after 3 weeks. No explosions to date. You should be fine.

But yeah, why are you moving out a primary after only 2 days? Keep it in there 3 weeks, skip secondary.

You have some yeast/fermentation issues if all your beers FG@ 1.020.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Home Brew mobile app

Right? You mashing every batch at 160, or what? English yeast in every beer? 67% AA. I don't even see that from English strains, most of the time.

Chalk it up to personal preference?

photocurio - yea, you probably bottled a little prematurely. Sounds like your plan now with the hydrometer readings is a good one. If you want to let your beers sit, do it. Patience is a virtue.

Personally (and I don't know if it's my water, or what...), my beer always has a strange taste if I don't let it sit in the primary for 2-3 weeks (in fact the friends who enjoy my beer have noted the taste before--they say it's not a bad taste, just distinct to my beer). I usually wait 2 weeks and find this helps a LOT with the weird taste, to the point where it's not there anymore. I guess it could be something the yeast is clearing up? It might be the priming sugar...I haven't figured it out yet.

The point about Sam Adams being a 7-day beer, well...yea. But Sam Adams has a strict production schedule. As homebrewers we have time on our side. So, again, if you want to let it sit and clear up, or you find it tastes even a little better if you add an extra week in primary, or you even want to rack to a secondary, go for it. Your beer is how you make it. There are no rules :rockin: Find out what works for you.

Mostly, though, just enjoy your beer.

Cheers :mug:

According to mrmalty.com, 1.5 packets of dry yeast would be better for my 5 gallon brews than a single packet. I'll try that with my next batch, and aerate.

But I can't cold crash the beer. Neither my 7 gallon fermenter bucket, nor my carboy will fit in my fridge. It might take me longer to drop the yeast out of the beer. I could put the beer in the basement, which is probably at 60F this time of year.

Crazyirishman, I live in Somerville, MA. When you get your tasting room open, I'll drop in.

You are welcome to stop by on Sunday I am running a bit of a homebrew clinic shoot me a PM

Pay attention WileE, so you don't have to let your pale ale sit in primary for 6 months to let all those fusels and esters age out lol...

Your an IDIOT ! And now your just being a JERK ! No wonder you kept getting flamed last time you were here !

No fusels here as I have a temp controlled brew room ! Not that that helps out any beginner what so ever !

I see you are producing a lot of air in your sig, congrats !

Here is a pic since you don't seem to believe anyone and just want to argue.

IMG_2052.jpg

See there you go again, deflecting, Please prove me wrong, PM me and I'll give you my address, send me a bottle, any recipe you want, just not a IPA because that would not be fair to you cuz I don't like IPAs to begin with.

I have seen lots of people with a masters degree in business management fail at running a business and go belly up, so no a pice of paper really doesn't mean much to me, proof is in the pudding as my grandmother use to say!

Why should he extend you a curtsey that you didn't extend to me? Just because I didn't call you out on it at the time doesn't mean you weren't a JERK!

Why should he extend you a curtsey that you didn't extend to me? Just because I didn't call you out on it at the time doesn't mean you weren't a JERK!

Likewise !

You are the one here telling new a brewer that he can be drinking his beer in 7 days, not me !

I have been saying all along that he needs to let his beer age a bit to try and help him out !

If you think thats being a jerk well thats your problem.

You also keep stating what Pro brewers are doing with million dollar machines, dose not apply. you also started out saying beer can go from grain to glass in 7 days, then it changed to certain beers, then it changed to if you don't create off flavors, and don't dump everything including the kitchen sink in it.

I have asked you to explain ! how a beginner brewer is suppose to produce GOOD TASTING BEER in 7 days using a kit and bottles for carbing, and you have talked about everything else under the sun including boasting about your credentials, trying to discredit any of my practical for a new brewer advice, so who here is being a jerk? Hmmm?

So now I will state some the truth for a beginner brewer, if you ferment your beer to FG in 3 days and bottle it, then it takes AT LEAST 7 days to carb up, and another 2 days in the fridge do allow the co2 in the head space to get into solution, that is doing a quick beer for a beginner brewer who is bottling, and its NOT 7 days from grain to glass.

So don't act like your all innocent here, you have been making impractical misleading statements to say the least !

Oh and Sam Adams is also counting on shipping and delivery times too, so even with there million dollar centrifuge and bottling at 7 days your still not drinking it at 7 days, and I really would like to know how that helps a new brewer what so ever?

And Im still saying at 7 days beer taste bad period, I have asked you several times, at 7 days will will the beer taste great, and you have flat out ignored the question.

Also promoting your brewery should be done in a different section.

Ill ask you one more time, Prove me wrong, send me a beer you bottled on day 2 or 3, I will open it on day 7, if its great like you keep stating, I will come on here and boast how great a brewer you are.

Otherwise I have nothing more to say to you.

Likewise !

You are the one here telling new a brewer that he can be drinking his beer in 7 days, not me !

I have been saying all along that he needs to let his beer age a bit to try and help him out !

If you think thats being a jerk well thats your problem.

You also keep stating what Pro brewers are doing with million dollar machines, dose not apply. you also started out saying beer can go from grain to glass in 7 days, then it changed to certain beers, then it changed to if you don't create off flavors, and don't dump everything including the kitchen sink in it.

I have asked you to explain ! how a beginner brewer is suppose to produce GOOD TASTING BEER in 7 days using a kit and bottles for carbing, and you have talked about everything else under the sun including boasting about your credentials, trying to discredit any of my practical for a new brewer advice, so who here is being a jerk? Hmmm?

So now I will some state the truth for a beginner brewer, if you ferment your beer to FG in 3 days and bottle it, then it takes AT LEAST 7 days to carb up, and another 2 days in the fridge do allow the co2 in the head space to get into solution, that is doing a quick beer for a beginner brewer who is bottling, and its NOT 7 days from grain to glass.

So don't act like your all innocent here, you have been making impractical misleading statements to say the least !

Oh and Sam Adams is also counting on shipping and delivery times too, so even with there million dollar centrifuge and bottling at 7 days your still not drinking it at 7 days, and I really would like to know how that helps a new brewer what so ever?

And Im still saying at 7 days beer taste bad period, I have asked you several times, at 7 days will will the beer taste great, and you have flat out ignored the question.

Also promoting your brewery should be done in a different section.

Ill ask you one more time, Prove me wrong, send me a beer you bottled on day 2 or 3, I will open it on day 7, if its great like you keep stating, I will come on here and boast how great a brewer you are.

Otherwise I have nothing more to say to you.

I had been homebrewing for over 20 years, have a bachelors degree in microbiology, and took a year of classes to learn to professionally brew beer. Spent a few months after that studying for the Master Brewer Certification. But I guess that your fancy room with some nice shelves and a swamp cooler makes your "practical" experience more worth while.

My beer has been tasted and commented on publicly but Cicerone certified people who are in the business of buying and selling beer. But again your what year or two of "practical" experience trumps that? Why should I waste my time sending beer to someone who is already biased against it. Also I didn't post the link to my brewery to promote it. I posted it so that the other people in the thread would see that I was not talking out of the side of my mouth like you are.

You were not saying that you should bottle after 3 days you said 3 months in primary. Now who is changing their statement? Can you say Etch-a-sketch??:ban::mug:

Also I said that if you correctly ferment your beer that you won't create off flavors and that would allow you to either bottle sooner or keg sooner.

Also I stated that if you couldn't afford to buy a centrifuge that a $30ish filter set up would to pretty much the same thing. How would any brewery make money from beer if it all had to sit in the primary for a month or more?

Also to your comment about Sam Adams bottles being older then 7 days. Pretty much all breweries agree that most beer is on a down hill progression when it comes to flavor. Why else would they spend so much money on freshness programs or give refunds on beer that was past it's sell buy date?Hell Stone went so far as to name a beer "Enjoy By" and put a date in huge letters right on the front of the bottle! Now notice that i said most and yest there are styles that will be fine in a bottle for a year or more but just because that beers with a ton of acid or alcohol can age doesn't mean that your everyday beer will do the same.

Again I will state IF you properly ferment beer you avoid the off flavors that need to be "aged" out. If you are bottle carbing your beer yes it will take an extra few days to carb up. And by the way the beer doesn't absorb the CO2 out of the head space of the bottle. Once the head space is pressurized the CO2 has no place to go other then to dissolve into the beer. The reason that you get flat beer when you open a warm bottle of beer is because the CO2 isn't as soluble and breaks out of solution. When the beer is cold it will stay in solution at atmospheric pressure.

I also love this line your wrote "So now I will some state the truth for a beginner brewer". i guess that you skipped English class in HS to drink.

I'm done here. The guy posts pictures of his stuff to try and win pissing contests and quotes himself multiple times in his own signature. LOL.
Oh and temperature controlled room needs swamp cooler.

I'm done here. The guy posts pictures of his stuff to try and win pissing contests and quotes himself multiple times in his own signature. LOL.

Well said brother! If you are ever in MA stop by the brewery. The first round of FRESH beer is on me!

Op here's a simple rules of.thumb from my own experience Ive observed my brew ferment in 5 days I personally let it sit 7 total days until I see the yeast slow done or what appears to be stopped. Then I rack it over into another carboy and other add hops or I simply let it set for an additional 7 days so I.drink my brews in about 14 days depending on the style. I've made the same mistake on bottling to early and had gushers. A lot of brewing is personal choices we make not that we are doing things wrong or right just have fun with it. 14 days is plenty of time for simple recipes and styles and once you get the handle on the fermenting process you'll make great beers in the end.

Ill keep this very simple since you 2 could not figure it out, 2 different temps in the same room.

As to taking samples from the primary, I use a sterilized turkey baster. Don't return the sample to the fermenter, drink it. Share it with your significant other, children and friends. Drinking beers at the various stages, from the wort to the bottling bucket, will tell you a lot about how your beer progresses, and if done with every batch, you can identify if the beer is progressing as it should. For that matter, I suggest tasting everything that goes into beer, the malt or malt extract, hops, and yeast. That way you can tell the difference between ingredients and how they affect the final taste of the beer. I am continually surprised by the number of brewers who have never dipped their finger into the extract bag or can, or have not chewed on the malt. Hops are particularly tasty, but the difference between types are pretty obvious when tasting them.

As to taking samples from the primary, I use a sterilized turkey baster. Don't return the sample to the fermenter, drink it. Share it with your significant other, children and friends. Drinking beers at the various stages, from the wort to the bottling bucket, will tell you a lot about how your beer progresses, and if done with every batch, you can identify if the beer is progressing as it should. For that matter, I suggest tasting everything that goes into beer, the malt or malt extract, hops, and yeast. That way you can tell the difference between ingredients and how they affect the final taste of the beer. I am continually surprised by the number of brewers who have never dipped their finger into the extract bag or can, or have not chewed on the malt. Hops are particularly tasty, but the difference between types are pretty obvious when tasting them.

+1 I agree 100% with you, Always taste your samples, I also taste all my ingredients before I use them, its a great practice!

Latest posts

Back