I Quit Smoking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, technically, I did quit during the pandemic. But, that was coincidental.
For some time prior (months) I had decided to quit on March 1, 2020, the same day I retired.
And I did in fact quit "cold turkey" on that date, have stayed quit, and tbh don't even think about it anymore ('cept when prodded - so thanks for that ;))

Yes, by then it was already known that smokers were especially fooked wrt C19 infection (well before the attenuating power of a boosted vaccination), so The Spousal Unit and kids were especially happy...

Cheers!

Dude!!!!!! Good for you. I'm so impressed.

i 'quit' smoking for a few years, and was using dry snuff instead...the hope was i use so little that way, i'd be able to grow all my own, but i only had room for three plant in my front yard and weak sunlight....didn't work out then some...well i couldn't get it off the internet and nobody sells it....

now i'm in AZ and tobacco plants love the sun here...but even though i could pull it off and win 'total indepence' i'm having a hard time give up the smokes for snuff again....

at least when i feel a bit too intimedated by the smokes, i have plenty of homegrown snuff i can give them both barrels with...

(and promtly get my ass kicked for swinging back, and HAVE to light one up! but that's the way it goes! i don't plan on lying down anytime soon....)

I quit cigarette smoking and started hookah smoking. I realized that hookah smoking is safer than cigarette smoking because you can control your hookah smoking. A hookah-smoking guide helps to set up safe hookah sessions. I'm not a regular smoker, so it's more beneficial to my health. I do prefer quality hookah sessions without harming health.

I quit cigarette smoking and started hookah smoking. I realized that hookah smoking is safer than cigarette smoking because you can control your hookah smoking. A hookah-smoking guide helps to set up safe hookah sessions. I'm not a regular smoker, so it's more beneficial to my health. I do prefer quality hookah sessions without harming health.
Sorry mate, but hookah is also bad for your health.

Yeah, But with cigarettes, I was too addicted. Now, moved on a hookah smoking. I can control nicotine volume by picking a shisha flavor. It was another option to keep vaping but It also seems addictive like a cigarette.

Last edited:
i quit in 2015 from a 22 year addiction, one of the most pleasant things is a smoke and a coffee or beer but it had to go, good job everyone who overcame cigs

🤣 i just want to figure out a way i can grow all my own! and damn it, my soda pop bottle 'automatic watering stick ani'nt working in a seed starter tray...so going to be a dry year i'm thinking... :(

(another year of smoking the 'c' word)

you can grow tobacco, hard part is the drying and curing but stick around cigs are the devil killed my dad i know first hand

nah drying and curing is pretty easy....just bundle it and hang it in the shed...to me the 'devil' as you say as any other person that schemes for a way to let you let them think for you....

hey man as long as you can feel the wind things are ok

yep, i'd have to somewhat agree. just gotta keep my finger wet in some homebrew! feels pretty good, just usually have to roll up the sial because it ain't blow in my direction.....but that's what anchors are for!

yep, i'd have to somewhat agree. just gotta keep my finger wet in some homebrew! feels pretty good, just usually have to roll up the sial because it ain't blow in my direction.....but that's what anchors are for!
by homebrew you mean oj flavored wash right? ;)

by homebrew you mean oj flavored wash right? ;)
🤣 m'fer i've been sitting off my dream private island...with the wind blowing away with the anchor dropped for 10 years, don't give me a hard time if i'm going to try and paddle the boat!

(OT but my 12lbs of sugar i started on the 16th is already down to 1.020....was $6 in sugar, hoping maybe just $3-4 more for the oj! but it's homemade so better then this)

I still have smoking dreams, all the time. So crazy, guess that will happen til the end. I wake from them and think "Oh gawd I started again". Then I realize it's not real, and I did not drop the ball.

I've been nico free for a long time, not one puff. And, except in my dreams, I'm gonna keep that up. As I said previously, if my wife goes before me, I'll probably just start smoking again. She had nothing to do with me quitting, but I'm not interested in my health after she's gone.

In the early-80’s, my dad did handyman work in Detroit while in seminary. I helped him with a job one summer day scrubbing and bleaching drop-ceiling tiles from an office full of smokers. I still remember drinking a Big Gulp on the drive home with the brown/yellow crud all over my hands and forearms. Scared straight at 8.

I still have smoking dreams, all the time. So crazy, guess that will happen til the end. I wake from them and think "Oh gawd I started again". Then I realize it's not real, and I did not drop the ball.

I've been nico free for a long time, not one puff. And, except in my dreams, I'm gonna keep that up. As I said previously, if my wife goes before me, I'll probably just start smoking again. She had nothing to do with me quitting, but I'm not interested in my health after she's gone.
I started using nicotine around the age of 12. I mostly dipped. I was using 2 cans a day by the time I was 20. When I worked at a bar and grill in college, I smoked and dipped, often simultaneously. Smoking never really did anything for me nicotine wise, I just sorta did it for fun I guess, and really not that often. I quit for good in 2008 when my oldest girl was born, and have been quit since. I would smoke cigars from time to time, but my wife quit smoking around 2010, and out of respect I don't anymore.

I too have had the dreams, the "Oh no I dipped again". Only to wake and realize after a few seconds it was only a dream. I actually don't miss snuff at all, and I haven't had the dreams for many years now thankfully. My wife says she has the dreams often, but she is disgusted by smoking now, and doesn't miss it.

Nicotine is rough to quit, glad you were able to make the plunge, I know it was hard for me personally, I honestly wasn't sure I had it in me.

Quitting smoking may be tricky, I know it from my personal experience. I have been an avid smoker for about 10 years.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back