Smoke Tube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redrocker652002

Reaction score
So, I have had this smoke tube for quite a while and never used it. So I decided to give it a try with no flame under it, just the tube itself. I put a couple of thicker slices of cheddar cheese on the grill and left them there for about 20 mins. Used Mesquite pellets and man did this thing smoke. I took the cheese off and my wife commented it was like eating an ashtray. LOL. I am going to try it again with hamburgers this weekend and see what I can do. If this thing works as well as it did with the cheese, I won't need a new smoker. I can use this and just try and adjust the pellets. My question is, the mesquite pellets were pretty strong, so what other pellets can I try that might tone it down a bit? Hickory? Cherry? Apple (I have used Apple on chicken and got a really good result on that one). Any suggestions would be appreciated. Either way, this little tube, once it gets going, absolutely smokes my propane Webber up nice. Rock On!!!!!!

I enjoy apple wood chips for chicken and pork. My dad has done mesquite for baby back ribs, with good results. I tend to like less smoke, so for ribs, I usually go 45min to an hour on smoke, then finish in the oven. Propane Weber for me, as well. I don't have the patience for a true smoker.

My dad has since switched from chips to pellets in a tube, and I think it's a bit too much smoke flavor. But he LOVES it...

Birch wood is a good, light smoking wood.
The traditional way of searing fresh Whitefish(the family of salmon-like fish) up here is to burn a bunch of birch and then sear it over the glowing coal once the fire dies.
Throw on some juniper twigs(with needles) towards the end.
Thank me later.

My experience with the smoke tube is don't overdue it. If you intend to smoke a meat for 4 hours, leave the smoke tube going an hour at most or else you'll get the ashtray taste. I've actually stopped using mine (Might use it one day for cold smoking). Just do the snake method with the charcoal in the Weber kettle and sprinkle in a few chunks of your favorite hardwood on top.

Mesquite is definitely too strong by it self. Hickory is too for most cheeses. Try mixing with apple, cherry or a milder wood. Also use a stronger cheese like extra sharp cheddar that will cut the harshness of the smoke.

As @VTX1300 states the cheese needs to rest. Use apple, pecan, cherry etc. Smoke when the outside temperatures are below 80F. Better yet, around 60F. This is usually a fall endeavor. Cold smoke for about 2 hours, turning the cheese every 30 minutes.

After smoking, wrap the cheese in butcher's or parchment paper and put it in your fridge for 48 hours. Then pull it out and vacuum seal it. Put it back in your fridge for about three weeks. The cheese needs this time to absorb all the flavor through out the block.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies all. My question wasn't really related to cheese, as I just put a couple of thick slices on for the heck of it to see what would happen. My question was more in the meat category as we are not much of a fish family. I was looking for opinions on pellets to use on beef and chicken that would not be really harsh. Chicken I have used apple for and it turned out really well. I am going to BBQ some burgers later this week and will give that a go and see what I end up with. I was just really impressed with how that tube works, I tried it when I got it and don't remember it being that good.

Also, if I only fill it say 1/2 with pellets and lay it down so they spread out, I wonder if that will lessen the smoke output? Thinking out loud on that one, but what the heck. Any input or experience is greatly appreciated. Rock On!!!!!!!

Also, if I only fill it say 1/2 with pellets and lay it down so they spread out, I wonder if that will lessen the smoke output? Thinking out loud on that one, but what the heck. Any input or experience is greatly appreciated. Rock On!!!!!!!
If you can fill it halfway and keep the pellets compacted you won't have any problems but that's tough to do. The problem would be if they fall over and thin out then they will most likely not burn. If you can find a way to stand it on it's side it shouldn't be a problem.

Just build one of these...

Attachments

• IMG-20230625-WA0001.jpeg
    IMG-20230625-WA0001.jpeg
    6.9 MB · Views: 0
Back