I KILLED MY NOTTINGHAM Yeast lol

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karljrberno

Reaction score
Its not everyday I pitch my Nottingham Yeast onto 96deg F Wort ,,, But when I do : _The Yeast Dies_ :ban:

Ok : This is getting Spooky !

The so consider to be dead yeast was pitch into a OG=1.054 In 7 days (One week) It only fermented down to 1.026 ....

I re-pitched yeast _ 48hrs (two days later) No Change in gravity still stuck at 1.026 .

When I re-pitch yeast I added oxygen to re-insure a drop in gravity .

The Beer is stuck at 1.026 , Using Nottingham Yeast Fermentation temperature at 68deg F

All Grain recipe Black IPA . . . Mash temp at 155deg F for 2 hrs UMMMM DAMN IT

Ok : This is getting Spooky !

The so consider to be dead yeast was pitch into a OG=1.054 In 7 days (One week) It only fermented down to 1.026 ....

I re-pitched yeast _ 48hrs (two days later) No Change in gravity still stuck at 1.026 .

When I re-pitch yeast I added oxygen to re-insure a drop in gravity .

The Beer is stuck at 1.026 , Using Nottingham Yeast Fermentation temperature at 68deg F

All Grain recipe Black IPA . . . Mash temp at 155deg F for 2 hrs UMMMM DAMN IT
Did you measure the FG with a hydrometer or a refractometer? That high of a reading makes me suspicious of you using a refractometer.

with a hydrometer , I will Post the progress .

the only thing I could even suspect is my mash temp way off

Grain Bill = 5 gallon batch

GRAIN : 7Lbs Us 2 row
2Lbs Us Munich
.5lbs Aromatic Malt
.5lbs Crystal 60L
.5 Dexrein
.5 Chocolate
.75 Munic Malt

with a hydrometer , I will Post the progress .

the only thing I could even suspect is my mash temp way off

Grain Bill = 5 gallon batch

GRAIN : 7Lbs Us 2 row
2Lbs Us Munich
.5lbs Aromatic Malt
.5lbs Crystal 60L
.5 Dexrein
.5 Chocolate
.75 Munic Malt

With a mash temp of 155, with that grainbill, I'd be very happy with a FG of 1.022. It's simply done. I'm not sure of the difference between .75 Munic malt and 2 pounds Munich- but assuming that it's the same Munich malt that everyone else uses.

With a mash temp of 155, with that grainbill, I'd be very happy with a FG of 1.022. It's simply done. I'm not sure of the difference between .75 Munic malt and 2 pounds Munich- but assuming that it's the same Munich malt that everyone else uses.

A mash temp of 155 will only have a very minimal impact on fermentability of the wort. To really impact the fermentability, you need to reach really high or really low. Think mashing at 160 for a dextrinous wort and 142 for super fermentable wort. I wouldn't be happy with only 65% attenuation, not on a hoppy beer...

with a mash temp of 155, with that grainbill, i'd be very happy with a fg of 1.022. It's simply done. I'm not sure of the difference between .75 munic malt and 2 pounds munich- but assuming that it's the same munich malt that everyone else uses.

scratch this post , , < this is all just some sort of a sick joke > i had my beers mix up and was hydromiter reading the wrong one all this time hahahahaha:drunk::drunk::drunk::drunk:

CAN YOU GUYS FORGIVE ME :fro:LOL FML !

Man that sux, hope you didn't oxidize your beer hitting it with oxygen, oh well just have to drink it faster I guess:tank:

I have eight 5 gallon batch , So I can see hoe this happened but it is unexceptionable for my punishment I must drink it fast

It is a Oatmeal Stout that I oxidize thinking it was something other than OG = 1.068 and a FG = 1.026

I'm surprised nobody has said this but why are you pitching yeast onto 96 degree wort? i wouldnt even do that with a saison yeast. With notty i make sure to be at 60 degrees when i pitch. You should also rehydrate the yeast for more viability.

I'm surprised nobody has said this but why are you pitching yeast onto 96 degree wort? i wouldnt even do that with a saison yeast. With notty i make sure to be at 60 degrees when i pitch. You should also rehydrate the yeast for more viability.

^^^This is a good point, I must have scanned over the 96° part that is way too hot you should chill a degree or 2 below fermentation temps before pitching your yeast for the best flavor

Maybe not. Palmers old book recommends rehydrating dry yeast in 95°F to 105°F water.

This is what my brew partner told me . I told him he was crazzy but I pitch onto 96deg F anyhow , I thought for sure I killed the yeast (But then the mix up:ban:) Now my oatmeal stout has two pack of Notty in it and got oxidized all because im stupid :D

This is what my brew partner told me . I told him he was crazzy but I pitch onto 96deg F anyhow , I thought for sure I killed the yeast (But then the mix up:ban:) Now my oatmeal stout has two pack of Notty in it and got oxidized all because im stupid :D

You cool the wort the pitching temps. The temps in the book are to re-hydrate the yeast. You need to use just water to re-hydrate (about a cup). the sugars in the wort will kill some of the yeast when you directly pitch.

I'm surprised nobody has said this but why are you pitching yeast onto 96 degree wort?

I'm surprised nobody has said this as well, but OP are you making each one of these posts toasted? Not trying to be a wiseguy, but your grammar in each post....

Rev.

Back