I have a 3 liter starter now just need a recipe.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thisisbeer

Reaction score
I was trying to brew a Pliny the Younger clone this weekend but due to a mechanical malfunction with UPS they said my hop extract wont be here until next week. I have a 3L starter of 1056 all ready to go with 350 billion or so count in it.

I wont be able to brew the pliny clone for a week or so and I want to brew something this weekend. I have never made a beer over 7% so I don't have much experience with it. I was hoping you guys could give me some tried and true recipes I could try to do this weekend. I'm running to the LHBS tomorrow to pick up whatever ingredients I need. I know I could sort through the recipe database but I was wanting to here some thoughts on what you guys would highly recommend. (for instance if anyone looks for a BMC type beer everyone recommends BM's Cream of Three Crops) I'm not particular to style just not an IPA or anything real hoppy, thats what my Pliny clone will be fulfilling. What are some of your favorite high ABV beers to make?

I like the Cream of Three Crops recipe. Its an easy drinking beer and it would be a good offset to the hoppy clone you plan to make. You could also look at doing a blonde ale as that is also a rather easy drinking beer without a lot of hops in it. You could also do a pumpkin ale. That has almost no hop presence but would be something way different then the Pliny clone.

I was looking at something with a higher ABV since I already have the yeast starter for it. I just can't figure out what to make. Maybe a barley wine or stout. I just don't have any good recipes on any big beers that would be good with this yeast.

I am kind of thinking about a barley wine. Any chance a barley wine brewed this weekend would be good around christmas?

Back