I HATE the TV shows my wife watches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
the BigHair and I are about 94% simpatico on what we like to watch.

though she's always complaining there aren't enough comedy shows to watch. I'm sorry, when they start making better comedies, then we can watch them.

OMG, Dr. Ken. the least funny show ever produced, but she insists on watching it. my eyes hurt from rolling so much at the stupid jokes and canned laughter

a lot of shows I DVR and watch on my lunch break (and sometimes during work. shhh! don't tell the boss) I LOVE the How it's Made and How do They Do it? shows. watch those over and over.

who mentioned Dogfight? that was a great show. they should do the same thing for tank and sea battles

Someone else posted a very sad tale about his wife cheating......Would you prefer your wife watch those shows with some one else? So stop complaining,
your wife is there with you.... grab your laptop and surf the internet while the shows you hate are on, then go to bed with her and tell her how much you appreciate her putting up with the things you do......be thankful, not resentful.

I get what you're getting at, but if liking different TV shows is all it takes to get your spouse sleeping around, the basis of your relationship probably isn't all that strong in the first place.

American Idol, Married at First Site, Supergirl, CSI ..... The list goes on and on. She's a wonderful mother and as wife's go she is very accepting of my brewing hobby but for the love of 1020p HD her idea of good tv just sucks.

I'm not trying to be a one-upper, but here's our list:

My Wife's: American Idol, So You Think You Can Dance, Dancing with the Stars, Galavant, X-Factor, The Voice, Supergirl, Outlander.

Mine: COPS, Jail, Border Security, The League, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, any UFC/Bellator, Mayday, How it's Made, Hell's Kitchen, Catch a Contractor, Bar Rescue, Naked and Afraid.

Joint: Castle, The Simpsons, Brooklyn 99, Big Bang Theory, The Biggest Loser, Making a Murderer (finished last night), Suits, Survivor, Last Man on Earth, Game of Thrones, The Blacklist, Marvel's Agents of Shield, The Expanse, SNL, Sherlock.

Huh. I never realized, I guess we watch quite a bit of TV. Can you tell we don't have kids? :)

Conspicuously absent: Any sports. At all. OK, we're going to watch the Superbowl, but that's literally it. Unless you count the MMA stuff.

I can't fathom the appeal of many of the garbage tv shows she watches. All that dumb scripted "reality" crap.

But I guess I watch some dumb **** sometimes.

When we're watching TV together, we try to make sure it's something we'll both enjoy.

My wife likes those "Dramas". I don't. I don't care to watch any drama based on:

Courts
Cops
Hospital
Rich People
etc
ad nuseaum

And in most cases she doesn't like the quirky, silly, geeky things I like. BUT when she does watch them, she's usually got her face in a tablet, so I don't really count that as watching. She says she's "multitasking", but there is no way she's appreciating the show to a respectable level.

Anyone catch that new show out on the "Science" channel? I tuned in last night as I was just about to stop watching TV. The show basically takes satellite images that are pretty ambiguous and tries to spin them so they appear to be something "amazing". They have random pseudo-experts give statements that support the theory, or at least lend credence to it, without actually making any such bold claim.

It's like "Ghost Hunters" but with satellite imagery. Here is a sample of what some so-called "expert might say about a satellite image:

"That's just GOTTA be his body buried right there under everyone's noses!"

or

"Of course 'some people' don't want the public to know about it."

Is this what the Science Channel is all about? There's a satellite image of some trenches in the Brazilian Jungle, and that's "pretty much definitive proof" that El Dorando, the famed city of gold, was located right there?

Anyone catch that new show out on the "Science" channel? I tuned in last night as I was just about to stop watching TV. The show basically takes satellite images that are pretty ambiguous and tries to spin them so they appear to be something "amazing". They have random pseudo-experts give statements that support the theory, or at least lend credence to it, without actually making any such bold claim.

It's like "Ghost Hunters" but with satellite imagery. Here is a sample of what some so-called "expert might say about a satellite image:

"That's just GOTTA be his body buried right there under everyone's noses!"

or

"Of course 'some people' don't want the public to know about it."

Is this what the Science Channel is all about? There's a satellite image of some trenches in the Brazilian Jungle, and that's "pretty much definitive proof" that El Dorando, the famed city of gold, was located right there?

The History Channel is no longer about history.
The Science Channel is no longer about science.
The Learning Channel is no longer educational.
MTV hasn't played music in god knows how long.

Nothing is anything anymore. Niches are dead. Everything is aimed at mass appeal and the lowest common denominator.

I don't watch a whole lot of TV anymore.

My wife likes those "Dramas". I don't. I don't care to watch any drama based on:

Courts
Cops
Hospital
Rich People
etc
ad nuseaum

I don't mind Dramas (I watch/watched TWD, Breaking Bad, Dexter, etc. and consider them all dramas), but I can't stand melodrama: love triangles and soap-opera-y BS.

Well, have you seen what "The Learning Channel" has come to in the last 10 years? How many people remember when it actually was The Learning Channel?

I'm not trying to be a one-upper, but here's our list:

My Wife's: American Idol, So You Think You Can Dance, Dancing with the Stars, Galavant, X-Factor, The Voice, Supergirl, Outlander.

Mine: COPS, Jail, Border Security, The League, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, any UFC/Bellator, Mayday, How it's Made, Hell's Kitchen, Catch a Contractor, Bar Rescue, Naked and Afraid.

Joint: Castle, The Simpsons, Brooklyn 99, Big Bang Theory, The Biggest Loser, Making a Murderer (finished last night), Suits, Survivor, Last Man on Earth, Game of Thrones, The Blacklist, Marvel's Agents of Shield, The Expanse, SNL, Sherlock.

Huh. I never realized, I guess we watch quite a bit of TV. Can you tell we don't have kids? :)

Conspicuously absent: Any sports. At all. OK, we're going to watch the Superbowl, but that's literally it. Unless you count the MMA stuff.

I used to love The League up until the final season, it was awful. Every other season though... my fantasy league even had our own shiva trophy made haha.

The Wife is now watching a show called "Billions" and watching it makes me madder than when I watch candidate debates. Not even the sex scenes can save it.

But me and the kids watch Galavant and Angie Tribeca, so....

big bang theory is an abomination and needs to be stomped out. it has the most painful, intrusive laugh track ive ever heard. i wouldnt be surprised if the actors are now trained to pause for a laugh break after every sentence in real life. most shows i can stand being on in the background if im not watching. i need to leave the room when it comes on if i dont have control of the tv

Our favorite show is Star Trek TNG - yes we are cool ;). SWMBO also likes home improvement shows on HGTV while I watch NBA and NFL.

big bang theory is an abomination and needs to be stomped out. it has the most painful, intrusive laugh track ive ever heard. i wouldnt be surprised if the actors are now trained to pause for a laugh break after every sentence in real life. most shows i can stand being on in the background if im not watching. i need to leave the room when it comes on if i dont have control of the tv

We need to move on from the laugh track as a society.

We need to move on from the laugh track as a society.

We're getting there... Modern Family, The Office, The League, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Children's Hospital, Brooklyn 99, Last Man on Earth....

I'd say we're well past the tipping point where there are more comedies without laugh tracks than with.

Hey admins, can we get [laugh] tags added to the forum? Sometimes I make jokes and witty comments, and they just seem to fall flat. I think it's because people don't know they're supposed to be laughing. I think it would really improve people's perception of how funny and amazing I am.

I'd buy THAT for a dollar.... [laugh][/laugh]

We're getting there... Modern Family, The Office, The League, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Children's Hospital, Brooklyn 99, Last Man on Earth....

I'd say we're well past the tipping point where there are more comedies without laugh tracks than with.

those are all what are called One-Camera sitcoms, as compared to BBT, Dr Ken and others, which are Multi-Camera sitcoms and sometimes (used to) have a live studio audience or a laugh track

there are some newer one-camera sitcoms that are pretty funny. We binge watched The Goldbergs and Life in Pieces. they both have their moments.

had to laugh when I went to my local brewery right before the big storm and they had named their newest imperial stout, "Big Tasty." suggested they do a session version called "Lil' Yum Yum"

99% of what we watch is accepted by both and I don't really mind most garbage tv, it's generally more background noise than anything else.

We don't watch any "real housewives" or kardashians or similar junk though, that's one bridge too far.

Most marvel series/movies we both like, GoT we tried but it kept trying to be "edgy" instead of getting on with the damn story....

The voice is the only singing/talent show i will watch, since they actually are nice to the contestants and there's real musical talents there instead of filtering for funny failures....(both finnish and us versions are watched)

Does nobody else know the struggle that is HGTV? Am I the only one sitting through what seems to be the same episode of "Flip or Flop" on a nightly basis?

Does nobody else know the struggle that is HGTV? Am I the only one sitting through what seems to be the same episode of "Flip or Flop" on a nightly basis?

I'm in the lighting, furniture, and decorative accessory business. I watch it to spot our products. Turns out we're all over the place.

Flip or Flop is just comedy gold, because those are the two stupidest people on earth.

Does anyone not realize that like "reality TV" in general, these are completely staged shows? My parents can't stop watching the HGTV drivvel. Let me guess - they're going to flip a house and it's going to have some challenges and it's going to come in "way over budget" and there are arguments, and then there's a piece where they "magically" pull it all together by "working long hours" with or without "family" helping.

Drinking game: When watching House Hunters, drink every time someone says "TURN KEY". I don't know why, but that phrase just makes me cringe every time I hear it. Especially when it's the same stupid lady using it to describe every aspect of a house.

on the rare occasion I watch, it's usually for the purpose of, oh, I don't know, 'entertainment'? I don't want/need/expect mass media television to challenge my brain cells. It's a diversion from the cerebral Iron Man I participate in every single day at work.
HGTV; eh, if it's the hot blond, there may or may not be multiple episodes waiting on my DVR, I do like a lot of action/drama, but not in weekly form, except the triple Chicago bill, which will run itself into the ground within 2 or 3 seasons most likely.
Now the one I really struggle with is her continual watching/DVR'ing of those damn judge shows. Fekkin dramatic booshie of some of God's dumbest people. Really? You thought it'd be ok not paying rent for 6 months, and your landlord is so stupid he doesn't know proper eviction procedure and just changes your locks and puts yer crap in the dumpster? Both of ya, out. Bailiff, shoot 'em both, in the head. Genetic pool cleansing. :ban:
Then there is the fall back of the ID channel. Yikes. After about a month of seeing nothing but that when I'd walk into the room, I finally asked: "should I be worried?". "yes". :confused:

I'm still waiting on a sarcasm punctuation mark.

I've been saying for years that sarcastic statements should be bracketed by carat marks. As so:

^oh yeah, A1 sauce in a stout sounds like an amazing idea!^

anything but Love it or List it.

those 2 are so frikkin annoying

My mother's the one who's been on an HGTV kick the past year or two. Lots of Love it or List it and the Property Brothers. It's fine when visiting for a long weekend once or twice a year.

Back