I am currently fermenting Ovaltine.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I finally watched the video last night. Over several home brews of course. It never occured to me to read the label & find that it's basically flavored malt extract of old. Interesting that this coinsides with the fact that this is an anaversary of sorts. It was one year ago this month that my wife & I decided to research the current state of home brewing.
After many years of wine making,we decided to give beer a shot. I got tired of waiting at least a year to sample my efforts. So we hit youtube & found you,steeljan,revolutionary brewer,& craigtube.
The rest ,as they say,is history. This is a new chapter in the journey,certainly!:tank:

Awesome! Even though I am pretty sure this brew is the precursor to the zombie apocalypse, I salute you!

i love ^this^!:tank:
do you guys know what zombie brewers say before brewing? Grrraaaaaains!!! :ban::ban:
i love that joke!

now back to my all to serious brew day. too much fun and joking and my IPA won't turn out well at all. :D

Thanks for all the support everyone! Can't wait to try it. Looks like chocolate milk right now. Looks like its done fermenting. I'll rack it next week and try clearing it. Videos to follow.

I finally watched the video last night. Over several home brews of course. It never occured to me to read the label & find that it's basically flavored malt extract of old. Interesting that this coinsides with the fact that this is an anaversary of sorts. It was one year ago this month that my wife & I decided to research the current state of home brewing.
After many years of wine making,we decided to give beer a shot. I got tired of waiting at least a year to sample my efforts. So we hit youtube & found you,steeljan,revolutionary brewer,& craigtube.
The rest ,as they say,is history. This is a new chapter in the journey,certainly!:tank:

Thanks for the support.

I am on to all grain now. But still do kits when I just need beer around and don't feel like doing much work.

Franc103 said:
Me, too. When I have company, I offer them something to drink. Beer? No. Wine? No. Sparkling water? No. OVALTINE? Blank stare.

Some varm milk, perhaps?

I beleive that this would be the perfect beer for the stoner set. In my high school days I loved Chocolate pop tarts for the munchies what could be better than ovaltine beer?

Awesome! Even though I am pretty sure this brew is the precursor to the zombie apocalypse, I salute you!

This is what we WILL be brewing in the zombie apocalypse, with all other ingredients gone or not readily available.

It's a good thing to know now...so we can be well prepared.

I am praying to whatever gods I need to for this to turn out good....I love ovaltine!! :rockin:

I applaud you for giving it a go :mug:

I love this! I am so glad that someone is doing something crazy for the fun of it. So many people get all worked up over cloning beers, agonizing over being a couple points high on F.G., etc. Yay for a spark of inspired insanity!

I usually watch you and craig on you tube. That's how I learned about this experiment. It's been a while since I frequented here but I'm back. Tagscribed for outcome.

...and this face:
boy_makes_yuck_face1.png

next time instead of hops, boil it with some spam. i don't know why, but whenever I hear of ovaltine, i think of spam.

Rock on! I cant wait to see how yours comes out :)

I made a GaP (Grocery and Produce) Batch yesterday that contained Ovaltine for the malt, I also used flaked oats and molasses, with turbo yeast. I think the turbo yeast might mess this up for me though.

Its bubbling away right now and actually smells really good :)

Here is a link to the page with more details on the recipe I used click here

Did you use a starter? If not I'm sure you under pitched, and your beer will taste like hobo testicles. Next time use mr. malty or your beer will crawl out of your carboy and slap you around.

- did I capture the right spirit of the experiment? -

I have to admit that since I picked up the paddle, I keep looking at things in the grocery store and think "I bet that would ferment". This is exactly why I love this hobby.

Did you use a starter? If not I'm sure you under pitched, and your beer will taste like hobo testicles. Next time use mr. malty or your beer will crawl out of your carboy and slap you around.

- did I capture the right spirit of the experiment? -

I have to admit that since I picked up the paddle, I keep looking at things in the grocery store and think "I bet that would ferment". This is exactly why I love this hobby.

I hope you're kidding about the starter.

Its 1.5 gallons of wort to a full pack of dry yeast. There is no way this is under pitched.

So are you gonna be able to send in proofs of purchases for the decoder ring?! (A Christmas Story refrence)

"Be sure to drink your Ovaltine? A crumby commercial?! :mad: Son of a b****!" -Ralphie

My question is do bottle it and carb it? Or just leave alone in bottles like a fine wine? Or would you just put the siphon hose in the oval-beer and lay on the ground and put the bottling wand in your mouth? What kind of hang over would that give? If you stop updating, I'm going to assume that your brain has coagulated and you've become the zed word.

Subscribed :thumbup:

Back