I am currently fermenting Ovaltine.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Waitasecondheredude.....

I taste my beer at every step of the process. Did you take a little taste at bottling time? Inquiring minds want to know :drunk:

Nope. I gave it a good smell though. Surprisingly nice aroma. Mostly chocolate but there was some hop aroma.

Next time I'll do more than one hop addition. . . . if I survive.

I signed up just to see this through.
Thanks for contributing to a community with some lulzy experiment. Good luck, man. :rockin:

But the real question is... What's the follow oin Recipie? I know, I know... A series fo store specific recipies consisting of only ingredients found in a particular store...

7-11

Mexican Bodega (Malta for the base, brown sugar cones, and chili peppers for bittering)

CVS Pharmacy

Wow That is neat! I almost bought some OT a few months back but read the ingrediants and decided against it!

GL and want to kow the out come!

Everyone, after seeing this thread, I did the same thing but I tweaked it a bit. The only stuff I could find was the new recipe of Ovaltine which has barley and malt extract but its not the first thing on there. Anyways, I did a 3 gal boil with 3 jars of Ovaltine and .5 oz of EKGs. Came out with 2.5 gal or so of 1.043 wort. It fermented down into the 1.020s (don't remember exactly). When I went to bottle I tried some and it wasn't all that bad.. It's bottle carbing right now and I think I'm gonna crack one.

Edit: Screw it, I cracked one open (in the name of science!) and tried it warm. Not bad! Not bad at all. I can actually say I'm gonna toss a 6 pack in the fridge and drink more this weekend. I used a whirfloc tablet and it seemed to have cleared quite a bit. It's still a little murky but its a beautiful brown/garnet color. The taste is like an average brown, kinda thin though. Has a mint tinge or some herbal tinge in the after taste.

xsists said:
Everyone, after seeing this thread, I did the same thing but I tweaked it a bit. The only stuff I could find was the new recipe of Ovaltine which has barley and malt extract but its not the first thing on there. Anyways, I did a 3 gal boil with 3 jars of Ovaltine and .5 oz of EKGs. Came out with 2.5 gal or so of 1.043 wort. It fermented down into the 1.020s (don't remember exactly). When I went to bottle I tried some and it wasn't all that bad.. It's bottle carbing right now and I think I'm gonna crack one.

Edit: Screw it, I cracked one open (in the name of science!) and tried it warm. Not bad! Not bad at all. I can actually say I'm gonna toss a 6 pack in the fridge and drink more this weekend. I used a whirfloc tablet and it seemed to have cleared quite a bit. It's still a little murky but its a beautiful brown/garnet color. The taste is like an average brown, kinda thin though. Has a mint tinge or some herbal tinge in the after taste.

This is pretty cool, but you kinda stole Beer-Baron's thunder with that..

I started reading this thread thinking about how many of you have been trolled, then went to thinking if it'd really work, then to sheer admiration. Dying to know he result.

Just want to say I just read the entire thread and you've got my support. Great beer experiment (or best if it brings the zombie apocalypse!) :rockin:

And I want to see it in a glass as well.

:mug:

Awesome link there. We all have our favorites, but I'll keep their number 1 definitely.

And love the dead guy reference.

:off:

I'm curious how this one will taste... If I told my family I was going to Costco to get a load of Ovaltine for making some beer, they'd probably bar the doors after I left the house...

Back