How to properly added pumpkin pie spice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sauce1523

Reaction score
I’m brewing a pumpkin beer and plan on adding some pumpkin pie spice during secondary fermentation. I’ve never added a spice or anything other than sealed packages of hops directly to the carboys during fermentation. Is there anything I need to do to the actual spice to prevent contamination or can I just use a sterilized measuring spoon and add it directly in?

I’ve read that some people soak in vodka before hand but I’d rather not do that if it isn’t necessary.

Personally I’d just open the bottle of pumpkin pie spice and just dump it straight into the trash.

#savethebeer!

In order to make sure it dissolves properly I just remove a small amount of beer into a sanitized container, and the spice in it, then gently stir until it dissolves. Then I add that to the beer.

If I make one i usually add during the last 5 minutes or at flameout. Why are you opposed to the vodka method? It works and the vodka kills any bacteria, you can use this tincture to blend at bottling time to get the amount of flavor you want.
#savethepumpkin!

adding some pumpkin pie spice during secondary fermentation
There are no secondary fermentations in 99.9% of beers. So leave your beers in their "primary" until packaging.

Just add some spice to your primary fermentor a few days to a week before packaging.
How much? Hard to tell, maybe 1/2 - 1 teaspoon?

It's easier to gauge by making an extract in vodka a few days ahead of packaging. Then add enough of the spiced liquor to your bottling bucket or keg until it just starts to become detectable. That way you won't overdo it while your taste buds get used to it. Then have a 2nd person, one who hasn't tasted the spiced up beer yet, taste, and take it from there. Chances are you're already close to the right amount.

Alternatively, you can add drops of that spiced liquor (count them) to a half pint (8 oz) of that beer until it tastes right to you. Then add half of those drops to another half pint, and have a 2nd, fresh, unbiased/untainted person taste. Chances are that is the right amount. Then convert the liquor addition to the volume you have at hand.

Back