How to adjust my water profile for NEIPA brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

delcosansgluten

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi All,

Next weekend I am trying my first NEIPA brew, it'll be GF as I have Celiac, not sure if this will matter for my question.

I just got my water profile results back from Wards. Here is the results. (all values are PPM)

Sodium, Na - 35
Potassium, K - 3
Calcium, Ca - 37
Magnesium, Mg - 12
Total Hardness, CaCO3 - 143
Nitrate, NO3-N - 1.6

Sulfate, SO4-S - 11
Chloride, Cl - 69
Carbonate, CO3 < 1.0
Bicarbonate, HCO3 - 95
Total Alkalinity, CaCO3 - 78
Total Phosphorus, P 0.28
Total Iron, Fe < 0.01

For a 2.5 gallon kettle, I am aiming for two gallons of wort to ferment. How would I adjust these values to get a water profile for a NEIPA? (I know there is differences in taste preference but i've read a 2:1 ratio of CL to Sulfate is target). Any help is appreciated.

Mike

That water looks ok to start with. I would bump up the Ca with .25g of CaSO4 and .5g of CaCl2 per gal of brewing liquor. That should get you to a decent mineral level. Now let's talk pH, In my system I would use around 2-4 oz acidulated malt. you could just add acid to the water until 5.5 pH then dough in. Next, kettle size, 2.5 won't cut it for a full boil ending with 2 gal in fermenter. The only thing i'm not sure of is your iron content.

For ~150 ppm Cl- and ~75 ppm SO4-- you will need to add (per gallon) 0.65 g. CaCl2 and 0.3 g. CaSO4.

Back