Critique my Ward Lab H20 results

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ap0352

Reaction score
Just received my results back from WL's. Curious any and all critiques for what to add for a NEIPA profile.
Purely guessing my source #'s, I added 2g of canning salt and 5g of Calcium Chloride in my last brew. Results were good. Somewhat muted hop flavor but aroma was there which make no sense to me.
Curious your thoughts.
Thanks!

pH -7.9
Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) Est, ppm - 190
Electrical Conductivity, mmho/cm - 0.32
Cations / Anions, me/L / - 3.03.5 ppm
Sodium, Na - 21
Potassium, K - 2
Calcium, Ca - 33.1
Magnesium, Mg - 10
Total Hardness, CaCO3 - 124
Nitrate, NO3-N - 2.6 (SAFE)
Sulfate, SO4-S - 8
Chloride, Cl- 20
Carbonate, CO3 - < 1.0
Bicarbonate, HCO3 - 105
Total Alkalinity, CaCO3 - 86
Total Phosphorus, P - 0.14
Total Iron, Fe - < 0.01
"<" - Not Detected / Below Detection Limit

Purely guessing my source #'s, I added 2g of canning salt and 5g of Calcium Chloride in my last brew. Results were good. Somewhat muted hop flavor but aroma was there which make no sense to me.
I think people tend to overestimate the impact of water chemistry on hop flavor and aroma. I guess it is because some water profiles using the terms "hoppy" and "malty". The "hoppy" profiles will have a higher Sulfate level which can promote a crisp/dry character which can let hop bitterness shine. The "malty" profiles will have a higher Chloride level which can promote a full mouthfeel. The typical NEIPA water profile will push the Chloride levels, and NEIPAs are known to have a ton of hop flavors and aroma.

As far as your additions for an NEIPA, they seem reasonable. I would load your water profile into brewing software and see where those additions get you. My base water as about the same Sodium level as yours, and I don't add more Sodium (but adding some is something I have thought about playing with). You could probably just add enough Calcium Chloride to get your Chloride up to around 150 ppm and give that a try.

The other important part will be acid additions to bring your pH into range. Brewing software can help calculate the needed amounts.

Back