How slow is Wyeast 1214?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brianpablo

Reaction score
I smacked the smack-pack on Sunday morning hoping it would inflate, and it never did. So yesterday I made a 1 liter starter @1.040 and shook it up a bunch to get it going (I don't have a stir plate because I rarely manage to get my hands on liquid yeast). There's no krausen, and no bubbles apart from what would naturally occur in any solution that's been swirled around for a few minutes.

Oh yeah, its production date is last August. It's been in the fridge all that time, but it has been almost a year.

I know this thing is a slow starter, but that slow? I've got a window tomorrow morning to brew and have everything else I need for a Belgian Dubbel, and don't know when another window will pop up. So do I:

1) Pitch this stuff and hope for the best
2) Pitch this stuff, hope for the best, then pitch some not-particularly-interesting dry Belgian yeast like Safbrew or one of those if there's no bubbling after 36 hours or so
3) Feed my starter to the fish and go straight to the Safbrew
4) Ditch the Dubbel and make (yet another) pale ale with American hops, at the risk of repetitive strain injury given how many of those I've made already

Dubbel's don't seem quite the same to me without the proper yeast, but I'd kind like to get this show on the road. Appreciate any thoughts.

Back