how much priming sugar should i use in my particular batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Omegagodly

Reaction score
i have a 5.5 gallon batch of edworts haus pale ale i plan on bottling next weekend and i picked up a package of priming sugar by LD Carlson. its 5 oz and it doesnt specify what kind of sugar it is, just says priming. i checked on a priming calculator and it said that it would take 4.7oz for sucrose to get to american pale ale co2 volumes, and 4.9oz for dextrose or corn sugar(glucose). so what would be a safe bet with this priming sugar? i also emailed them with no response so im kinda winging it.

If is says priming sugar on the package, it is almost undoubtedly corn sugar.

For what it's worth, I recommend just using table sugar from the grocery store, since it's much cheaper. But if you've already got the corn sugar may as well use it.

I usually use 4 ounces (by weight) for 5 gallons. If I had 5.5 gallons, I'd have no problem using the 5 ounce package. That would be fine. Many people use 1 ounce per gallon, with very good results.

+1 on the "priming" sugar probably being corn sugar. I like to use a priming calculator to get a very specific carbonation for each style of beer. Using 5oz per 5 gal batch will work fine, but I find it typically leads to slight overcarbonation. Here's a free online priming calculator if you're interested-

bottle priming widget

alright thanks guys. ill probably just use the whole 5 ounces then i suppose. you say that you can use just regular sugar from the grocery store, does it give any off tastes? or is it just as good as the other sugars?

alright thanks guys. ill probably just use the whole 5 ounces then i suppose. you say that you can use just regular sugar from the grocery store, does it give any off tastes? or is it just as good as the other sugars?

Yes, it's fine but you need to use a slightly different amount. Check out a priming sugar calculator to figure out exactly how much in each batch, but it's very similar to the amount of dextrose (corn sugar).

okay thanks. ill use the priming sugar for now, and then maybe revert to plain table sugar later.

Back