How much hibiscus for color?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nay3oni

Reaction score
I'm going to brew a pale, session, table saison (4% abv) but red. So, I was wondering, how and how much hibiscus to add to a 5gal batch just for color without being overpowering.

I was thinking 3oz at flameout would do the job but I've read different opinions and results on the color. Maybe adding some in the mash? I don't know.

Also, I dont think adding it before packaging will impart as much color but I have no experience using it.

Thanks!

Recipe is:

6lb Pilsner Malt
1lb Wheat Malt

0.5oz Willamette @60
0.5oz Willamette @10
1oz Cascade @Whirlpool
Hibiscus ???

Yeast: SafAle BE-134

I've used it several times.
Take 1/2 gallon of water and bring it to a boil, turn off the heat, and add 4+ounces to the water, (I use 8 for a five gallon batch in a gallon of water, and get a crimson color) cover and let it sit for an hour or so. Also consider brewing the beer stronger, as you will be adding "water" to the finished beer.
The dried blooms will absorb about a third or more of the water, add this "tea" to your finished beer prior to packaging.
I add it directly into the keg.

Attachments

• IMG_0688.JPG
    IMG_0688.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 151
I made a beer a couple months ago using about 3oz of Hibiscus 10 min boil. My next one will be using 5oz because the beer came out with a pale pink color... 5oz will get you a better color. The hibiscus also stayed in the whirpool and cooling process...

I made a beer a couple months ago using about 3oz of Hibiscus 10 min boil. My next one will be using 5oz because the beer came out with a pale pink color... 5oz will get you a better color. The hibiscus also stayed in the whirpool and cooling process...

And how would you describe the hibiscus flavor? Subtle? was it noticable?

fwiw, I've brewed a couple of 10 gallon batches of a raspberry hibiscus wheat, the first batch using 4 ounces of the flowers, the second batch upped to 6 ounces, making ~6 cups or so of steeped tea that I split between the two carboys just before kegging. I have yet to have anyone mention the hibiscus is too prominent - particularly my youngest son who apparently got scarred by hibiscus somehow and who was reticent to even try a 2 ounce pour, but liked it enough to ask for a full pour :)

Indeed everyone that has tried it has been intrigued (mostly "Is this really beer?") and definitely enjoyed it, so I'll be going to 8 ounces on the next batch.
This was the first batch. Obviously there's the raspberry color influence going on as well...

raspwheat_2sm.jpg

Cheers!

Another option would be to add a half of a beet. You could add to boil or during fermentation. Make sure to cook it first or if using canned beets, make sure there are no weird additives such as vinegar.

I did this recently to a Pivo to make a Pinko Pivo. Turned out great but it was more pinkish and not red. I couldn’t detect any beet taste.

Anyone ever measured pH after adding Hibiscus?

The Hibiscus I added in the WP today (along with dried rose hips) dropped KO pH a ton! I’ve read that it will drop pH but never how much. 2oz in 6 gallons of wort dropped pH from 4.98 to 4.48! Maybe the rose hips did as well although I’ve never read that they drop pH.

Well hibiscus flowers are known to make things tart, which has to come from somewhere. That's usually the concern with using them, and having no prior experience is why I've been sneaking up on where I think I really want my recipe to be.

As I said above I add them as a post-fermentation tea shortly before kegging, and that's not a situation where a pH meter comes to mind here. Next batch I'll check the pH of the tea itself and the beer before and after adding. There might actually be some useful data there wrt dosage...

Cheers!

Back