How much Campden per liter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

giuzep89

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I finally got myself a press and a crusher, so it's time to juice my own apples and pears. I know that if I add yeast right after juicing it might not be that necessary to add sulfites, but a lot of cider makers do that so I'd like to at least learn how to do that properly. So yeah, the question is quite simple, how much should I add and how? Side note, I don't get tables but straight powder so I'd like to know it in grams per liter. Thanks!

.....on another note: if I wanna start a wild fermentation, should I oxygenate + add nutrients? I do that with all my ciders and it results in a clean and fast fermentation, more or less done in 4-5 days without exception. Of course a wild fermentation would take far longer but I'm wondering if those steps could help.

I think the term campden refers specifically to the tablets, which include a lot of binder to make measurements easy.
I have sodium metabisulfate powder, and the directions say 1/4 teaspoon per 6 gallons of must.

Claude Jolicoeur suggests making a 5% SO2 stock solution... "dissolve 10g of potassium metabisulphite (approx 2 teaspoons) for 100ml of solution. One ml of this stock will yield 50ppm of SO2 to one litre of juice or cider." This is about the same as one campden tablet in a gallon of juice, which is a typical dose.

Refer to The New Cider Maker's Handbook, Chapter 14.1 "The Sulfite".

What happens if you use too much campden

I just made a batch of pear cider and missread the instuctions and doubbled the dose

Unfortunately it was only 4 days later that I realised and after I had added the yeast which was 48 hours after adding campden

The yeast has been in for 4 days without any sign of fermentation starting

Can the batch be saved

As far as I understand you can just add the yeast again. The sulfite was probably still active, if you add the yeast now and oxygenate the must well it might start just fine!

With the extra campden, it is probably well preserved. If you stir it vigorously it will help to get rid of the sulfite. Then add more yeast.

I'm still not clear about how long to wait for. Some sources say to wait 24h, some 48h. Which one is it then?

Back