How many infections aren't visible?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IJesusChrist

Reaction score
I've been brewing for a while, and recently my roommate started to as well. He's used the same equipment as me. His first brew tasted ok, but drinking an entire beer, one immediately notices a kind of mouth-feel. And its happened to my beers before, too. It's a bit more viscous than a beer should be, and there is a peculiar flavor, something I can't put my finger on.
It's not lactic or acetic acid, its not tart or sour at all.
It's more like, digested food, vomit, but not definitely not that strong - one would never drink this and say "this tastes like vomit" but, had perhaps someone dropped an eye dropper's worth of vomit in the beer, that might explain it.

In conjunction with the ever so slightly greater viscosity, the fact that we both have had it, I'm assuming this is an infection, but no pellicle has ever formed on my beer (his did, but I don't think it was related, it tasted fine about a 3 days before bottling, and by that time the pellicle was fully formed).

Has anyone else experienced this? A slightly thicker (ever so slightly) and slightly *gross* ... infection?

1.) I would wager a guess that all the invisible infections aren't visible.
2.) Based on prior posts i am curious, are you sure you aren't drinking IPA?

Back