Bottle Bombs - Why and How to Dispose?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adammc44

Reaction score
Ok, so this week my wife and I were out of town, and 3 bottles went off with my mother in law watching the apartment (luckily she has been cool about it). Two went off last Thursday and one yesterday (a week between). Today, I plan to wrap myself up and use a faceshield I have to inspect. I have 3 batches of beer bottled. A few notes where I live it is quite hot (high 80s/low 90s) and the beers are stored in a room where we normally run the air off and on when home but can get quite hot if not.

While it depends on what I find, I think all 3 bottles are from one batch, a blond ale. It (as well as the other two batches) all fermented for 3 weeks and have been bottled for just over a month. All were bottled with 140g brown sugar. I haven't drunk many, but have had a few a bit fizzy when pouring but no gushers. For what it's worth a while back, I over carbonated some others (150g brown sugar) that produced a lot of gushers but had no bottle bombs stored in the same room.

That means I don't think this is just heat, and given the time frame from bottling, I don't think it's just the heat or due to over-priming. I also don't think fermentation had not finished as the heat usually leads to very quick, highly active fermentation for a few days, and there hadn't been any visible airlock activity for 2 weeks.

While it's possible the priming sugar didn't mix up enough (I poured it boiled in water in while syphoning from carboy and gave a few stirs before bottling) or that there was some bottle infections, I think my most likely explanation is an infection. The beer has a fruity taste to it, sort of like a saison (my wife described it as slightly sour pineapple). Not the tastiest but drinkable. I had assumed that was esters due to high fermentation temperatures, especially as it seemed to become less noticeable over time. I also threw in a second yeast pack after not getting much activity at the start (that was almost surely not necessary). But the bottles going off make me think it could very well be due to an infection.

I managed to accidentally break one of my airlocks, so this beer fermented the whole time with a blowoff tube. Maybe something creeped down the tube once fermentation cooled off? I didn't have any pellicle or anything like that, but if the 3 bombs have been all that beer, it seems like an infection is a pretty likely explanation.

Do you all agree with that diagnosis? Any other explanations?

Ok, now, the truth is while it won't be easy, I'd rather just dispose of this beer if it is dangerous. But how to go about doing that safely? I'm wondering if the best thing to do is just open them carefully and padded up and pour it out. I mean, I don't want to pack 45-50 bottles ready to explode for the trash guys to pick up. Is the split second when you open the beer any more dangerous? Is chilling them first with a couple hours of a/c and then a cooler first a smart idea?

Many thanks!

You won't have to empty the bottles. Take them outdoors, pry the lid off, standing as far back as you can reach. I would expect the beer volcano to reach about 3 feet high and you will be left with perhaps 1/4 bottle of beer. You can then combine 3 or 4 bottles into one and recap it.

Put the bottles in a cooler, fill with ice to chill. Keep it outside or in the garage. Once chilled, the gas pressure will be reduced. Put on goggles (no joke!) Slowly pry off the caps, one by one. Hopefully you will salvage some beer, but you'll probably be wearing some of it.

I have nothing to add to this thread other than the fact that after I read it, it made me glad I moved to kegs. There is nothing I miss about bottling my beer other than being able to take it places easily. But now I don't even like to share so that problem is solved too :cask:

Ok, yes I plan on jeaning, jacketing, and scarfing up (going to be sweating here in teh caribbean!). Have a faceshield I got for Covid and will put on some snorkeling goggles just to be extra safe.

Do you all think the other beer should be ok? I am just going to toss the blond ale. It isn't that great and not worth the risk. Should I just make a point to immediately chill all or as many as possible of the others? After that is the danger of explosion pretty much gone? Will plan to open some up as well just to see if they gush, if so....well dumping the IPA will be hard

My hypothesis is that the priming liquid did not mix equally into the beer before bottling, so some bottles got more sugar/priming solution and some less.

If that were true, then some/most of the bottles will be fine.

Are all the bottles glass with pry-off caps? If so, very carefully more them into a cooler with some ice water (so if they go off, it will be i side a cooler rather than a fridge). Once they are chilled, they are less likely to go off, and so then you can test a couple. -but be careful, need something between you and the bottles that is strong enough to protect you from flying glass.

Use towels and gloves to handle the bottles, perhaps boxes to move them...basically layers between you and the glass if you can. Move gently, chill ASAP and crack em open to relieve the pressure.

For my money, I would bet the most dangerous time is moving them into the cooler, since they are warm and being jostled. More so than the actual opening.

A towel wrapped around the bottle as you open might be a further defense.

If you get them really cold Cooler first then freezer and have the right bottle opener that does'nt damage the crown cap you can pry it and let a bit of gas out, sometimes need to do this a few times once pressure down keep chilled and reapply the crown capper to tighten the cap.

Put the bottles in an ice chest filled with 10 lbs of ice and some water.

After they chill, put on your safety gear, take a bag of Doritos along and sit in a grassy area on a lawn chair and start opening and drinking and dumping. Toss the empty bottles on the lawn. After you are done with your personal party, stagger back inside go take a nap. You will smell like beer spray. Your fingers will be orange. Clean up the lawn mess tomorrow!

Last edited:
Put the bottles in an ice chest filled with 10 lbs of ice and some water.

After they chill, put on your safety gear, take a bag of Doritos along and sit in a grassy area on a lawn chair and start opening and drinking and dumping. Toss the empty bottles on the lawn. After you are done with your personal party, stagger back inside go take a nap. You will smell like beer spray. Your fingers will be orange. Clean up the lawn mess tomorrow!
I'm getting a great image. Two handfuls of doritos...pop a beer that shoots a geyser all over yourself and the lawn. Slam the 1/4 beer that remains. Repeat.

I have had a few bottle bombs, generally mine are from my high mashing temps, sometimes the dextrines manage to ferment with the temperature variations. I am regularly at 30 degrees plus, what I do after chilling is to gently pry the cap with a knife and let a little gas out then let it reseal once the foam starts to bubble out, I do this until it stops foaming out, I keep a capper standing by in case it doesn't reseal itself. I hate wasting beer.

I have had a few bottle bombs, generally mine are from my high mashing temps, sometimes the dextrines manage to ferment with the temperature variations. I am regularly at 30 degrees plus, what I do after chilling is to gently pry the cap with a knife and let a little gas out then let it reseal once the foam starts to bubble out, I do this until it stops foaming out, I keep a capper standing by in case it doesn't reseal itself. I hate wasting beer.

One reason to like swingtops and screw-ons, you can let air out and quickly re-seal (on the rare occasions it's needed).

One reason to like swingtops and screw-ons, you can let air out and quickly re-seal (on the rare occasions it's needed).
This is why I keep a stash of plastic bottles. If im ever unsure, such as today as I rush to bottle so I can share some with family next week, I use those. They are ugly but can take a load of pressure.

This is why I keep a stash of plastic bottles. If im ever unsure, such as today as I rush to bottle so I can share some with family next week, I use those. They are ugly but can take a load of pressure.

Same. I always try to bottle one clear bottle (so I can see how things are going inside the bottles), and 2-3 plastic bottles (so I can check carbonation levels just by giving them a squeeze). And plastic bottles are also very transportable, re-sealable, and allow you to squeeze the extra headspace/oxygen out during bottling. So there are some advantages (especially if you take beer to the pool or lake).

Disadvantages are they look cheap, don't clean as well/fully as glass, won't last as long as glass, and are not good for long-term beer storage/aging (more than 1 month).

Although you didn't ask, it is possible you didn't get a good mix, but I think you're bottling with too much sugar. I'm very old school and use 3/4 cup of corn sugar for bottling. Cane sugar creates more CO2 per, ounce than corn sugar. A cup of brown sugar is probably about 170 grams. Three fourths of that is 127.5, so I figure you ought to be using under 125 grams. I can't say I'm right, but I think you ought to look into the subject.

Use a priming sugar calculator:
https://www.northernbrewer.com/pages/priming-sugar-calculatoror:
https://www.brewersfriend.com/beer-priming-calculator/
These ask for volume and temp. The formula accounts for gas already in solution. When I bottle, I follow the advice to aim for about 2.0 volumes. Thats plenty of carbonation and still allows you some play in the event of some overcarbonation.

3 weeks seems like plenty of time. I’m thinking you are right about having picked up an infection.

Always measure sugar by weight, not by volume. Weight measurements are the most accurate. None of this “a cup is probably 170 grams”. Weigh it and you know for sure.

Last edited:
Back