How long will my starter last?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackson_d

Reaction score
Thursday nite 1am made the starter. Wyeast 1007 German Ale for a Kolsch meant to be brewed today (saturday). 1/2 cup DME, 2 cups water, boil 15 min, chill, add smack pack activated 3 hours earlier, etc. Butwe had to push back the brew day. The yeast doesnt really foam anymore when I swirl it. The guy at LHBS suggested more DME be boiled and chilled and added a day or two before new brew date. How much? Should I put in the fridge till I know when the new brew date is?

Your starter will be more forgiving than you might think. If you're just pushing out a week, I'd just use the starter as-is. The longer you push the brew date, the more you might consider refrigerating the starter. Making a step-up to the starter similar to the first one would be a good idea

Step it up and let it go a few more days. Then chill for a day and decant.

Or chill now and wait to decant. Decant and step it up a day or two before brew day so you can pitch it while it's in active fermentation.

Lots of options. It really is up to you how you want to do it. Just remember to stay sanitary.

How long can it be left in the fridge for? I got some leftovers from a primary in the fridge from sunday that i wont be able to use till thursday~Friday. Just wonder if they will be ok.

Back