How long will it take for cider to carb?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bhambrewer

Reaction score
I have seen 24 hours, 3 days, 5 days, a week, two weeks, three weeks.

I know that you can check the carbonation every few days, but I only have 4 22 ounce bottles right now and checking the carbonation every few days would leave me with no bottles.

Is there any formula or anything?

I had a 9% abv in a 1 gallon jug, let it ferment down to .998, added 1/4th a cup of priming sugar on tuesday (2 days ago), and then bottled. I want a moderately carbed cider.

Any advice?

advice- pop one every few days after a week....when you find the day with tasty carb level, put them in the fridge

What I have done is to half-fill a few poly soda-bottles. When they get "hard", then the other bottles are carbed up just right.

Bill

PS: Then I pasteurize "just in case"

advice- pop one every few days after a week....when you find the day with tasty carb level, put them in the fridge

I want to do this, but seeing as I only have 4 bottles, I fear popping them all and not having any be done.

All depends on the yeast, how long since initial fermentation and storage temperature.

1 week at 70 F will probably do it, but let them go 2 to 3 weeks to be sure.

I have a question about the opening bottle way.

Lets say I open a bottle, and it is at the carbonation level i want. So I re-cap the bottle. Will that bottle retain its initial level of carbonation, or will I have to wait another week for that one bottle to be ready again?

I have a question about the opening bottle way.

Lets say I open a bottle, and it is at the carbonation level i want. So I re-cap the bottle. Will that bottle retain its initial level of carbonation, or will I have to wait another week for that one bottle to be ready again?

You know how you open a bottle of soda, and save it a few days? That's what will happen once you open the cider.

I'm gonna try carbing my cider this time around for the first time. As for how much priming sugar to use, can you use the same volumes you would for beer?

I dissolved 1/4 a cup of sugar in just enough water to let it dissolve, then racked my cider onto it. Then bottled right away.

(this was for a 1 gallon jug)

3/4 cup of dextrose for every 5 gallon of cider will give you the perfect carbonation(like a beer). boil the dextrose in water and wait till it's cold before adding the mix to your cider.

You can add a little more dextrose(up to 1 cup) if you want a champagne type carbonation but make sure you use bottles that can take the lager amount of pressure or you can end up with bottle bombs !

Back