How Long a Starter Lasts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thejuanald

Reaction score
Hi all,

In preparation for a batch, I made a starter on December 26th, and then due to a family emergency, I was unable to make the batch. I had the starter on a stir plate until the 28th, when my fiancee put it in the refrigerator. It's been there since then. Would the starter still be viable? I can make some more wort tonight and pitch it in and let it go for 24-48 hours on a stir plate if I do a batch on Saturday, but would there be a problem with that? The nearest homebrew shop is a bit of a drive so I'd rather use this if it's still viable, but if not I can make the trip. Thanks

I don't think so at all. Many of us keep used yeast or frozen yeast for months to a year and get it going again without any issues. The chance of anything being wrong with yours is probably near zero.

You're actually probably ok if you just pitched that into your brew but if you wanted to give them a kickstart, you could make another starter.

Great, thanks for the reassurance, guys. I will probably just make a quick starter tonight then. I figure giving the yeast a quick wake up might be a good idea.

Do you know how many cells you had when it finished? Plug some numbers into a yeast calculator. You've probably only lost 10% of viability. A new starter may not be worth the time.

Do you know how many cells you had when it finished? Plug some numbers into a yeast calculator. You've probably only lost 10% of viability. A new starter may not be worth the time.

The beer is supposed to be a high gravity black ipa, with an OG of 1.084. I made a 1.5L starter with about 5oz of light DME for 48 hours on a stir plate. I think that gives me around 315 billion cells according to Beersmith. Beersmith also states that I need around 300 billion for the batch, so I'm probably okay but I might do small starter just in case.

Since it's higher gravity, it might be worth it just to make a smaller starter just to wake them up and get them going again.

Back